Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Removing Powerlines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Powerlines?

Hi all,

Here's a photo I'm working on at the moment.

Obviously the powerlines are a little distracting. Can anyone suggest a PS technique that can help me get rid of the lines?

I've tried cloning with a low flow % but the random shading of the clouds makes it difficult to get a result that isn't 'natural'.

Cheers!
    Andrew.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clone tool is the only way you can do it....just experiment more with settings, somewhere around 55% on flow and hardness is the usual good setting and use it like a paint brush sweeping the tool from side to side rather than just spot clone techniques, lots of frequent adjustments to flow strength etc is the norm and lots of varied sampling spots will help. Try sampling from various parts of the image often away from the powerline area so that the clone spot doesn't look so obvious.

With this style of image once you have cloned out the lines as best as you can, select the sky area with the lasso tool and run that area through something like "Neat Image" or a slight Gaussian blur to help hide imperfections.

Good cloning methods take time and can be tedious

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even for me this one is easier than you think and practise does make perfect.

I'm usually quite bad at cloning/healing but cloning usually doesn't work all that well for me, so I use the healing brush
    There's a huge difference in how they work, and my only use of PS is for that tool
    CaptureNX has a cloning tool that I usually try first up, and if that doesn't work I then resign myself to use the healing brush.

the trick is to use a radius not too big compared to the size of the area you want cloned/healed.

so if the lines are 5 pixels in size make sure the healing brush is about 10-20pixel in radius, and it just takes a bit longer and you have to do it zoomed in at 100% pixel view. which also means lots of scrolling of the image if you're doing it on the full sized image.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am going to go against the views here of using the clone tool. The wonderful healing brush tool (looks like a band-aid) is oft over looked, and can be your saviour. You do not need to select a source, just select the healing tool, and work slowly in small sections. It does a much better job of this, faster. Work with the direction of the line, then also work across the area as well, in small strokes, undo any that do weird things and try again. Takes a bit of experimenting to use, but the healing tool can be valuable (it is also a brilliant way to get rid of dust bunnies).

Here is an edit that took me under 2 minutes using the spot healing brush. Not perfect, but spend a bit more time on it than I did and it could be. You have the advantage of the full size file. Zoom into 100% and work methodically, undo when it doesnt look good, and repeat.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crop/Clone/Healing and a bit of Gaussian blur.

Before (raw -> JPG only)
    _KJF8301.jpg

After

regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the clone tool is your friend and will make short work of those lines. lines like that arent too hard at all

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job Rick/Kym, I'll get stuck into it and see how I go. Sounds like I'm on the right track, I just need to take my time.

Andrew.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the healing brush over the clone tool every time for that sort of thing, but the clone tool can be very useful too.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just for a different view. The Patch tool is what I usually use for powerlines in small sections at a time.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the cloning tool I reckon I've ended up with a pretty good outcome. Here 'tis...