Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Medium Format Tripod Plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medium Format Tripod Plate

Hi guys

I was taking landscape photos the other day at Cape Schanck, Victoria, the wind was very strong. The camera started shaking, but when I check closely, there was nothing wrong with the tripod, it sits steadily, so is the head.

I then found out that the camera was actually shaking from the plate itself, not sure if it is due the plate mounting on the head or because of the plate itself.

I then went to have a look at better tripods the next day (I needed to upgrade to a stronger one anyway), and found out about a tripod head and plate for medium format camera. It's the first time I've seen a tripod head for medium format camera and I was very impressed with it. It has the screw mount for small-format DSLR as well so can be used for both small and medium format camera, and the head + plate itself is about twice the size of standard head.

But the thing that interest me most is the plate size, I reckon with the larger plate sitting underneath the camera, it would help stabilised the camera and avoid shaking since there is a larger surface area for the camera to sit on?

Am I right? or is there another way to this type of camera shake?
    Canon 5D MKII, 7D
    Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II | EF 24-70mm F2.8L | EF 16-35mm F2.8L II | EF 180mm F3L Macro | EF 85mm F1.8

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Strong wind is going to buffet it no matter what tripod or head you use, unfortunately.

I tend to get a damn good grip on the camera and tripod and use the self timer when I am in really windy conditions.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, thanks for that.

What about the weight of the tripod, I know carbon fibre is good for being weight and easy to carry around, but does that also mean that it will be less steady in this kind of situation?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends how windy it gets. I have been out trying to get photos in wind over 100kmh, and then no matter how heavy the tripod is, you need to be holding it down and if possible using your body as as windshield as well.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it nature photography 101 to use yourself plus a windbreaker to shield your tripod, even in lightly windy conditions?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    generally, is heavier tripod more stable than say a lighter carbon fibre tripod?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
    Isn't it nature photography 101 to use yourself plus a windbreaker to shield your tripod, even in lightly windy conditions?
    Yes, but when you in a location where it is directly facing the south indian ocean, the wind is so strong that even your whole body are being blown.