Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini review - Tamron 60 f2 macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salnel View Post
    Would you advise a complete beginner to get the 90 or the 60? I am looking to get a macro lens and had decided (after advice on another thread) to get the Tammy 90. Then I was advised to look at your pics (which I had already seen and admired greatly) and to consider the 60mm. Just wondered whether one is easier to use than the other or is there no real difference?
    Thanks
    Sally

Sally, I was going to buy the 90 as well, now after seeing this thread, I am undecided. I found the 60mm for $430 delivered (grey market)
    I hate decisions!
    Cheers
    Jo

Canon 7D user on P Plates

CC is encouraged: No need to be gentle
    Don't be offended by my CC

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silkdiver View Post

Sally, I was going to buy the 90 as well, now after seeing this thread, I am undecided. I found the 60mm for $430 delivered (grey market)
    I hate decisions!
    I have just picked up this thread.

Well I know you have already scored your Tammy 90 and expect to see lots of great pics (already seen some).

This 60mm lens is very appealing for me as it is very compact, doesn't extend on focussing, is fast enough and has great bokeh to be used as a portrait lens on a cropped sensor camera.

Don't know why it is the same price or more expensive than the 90mm.

Would be interesting to see what it is like with a 1.4x TC as then you get a 126mm f/1.6 macro that will do greater than 1:1.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    This 60mm lens is very appealing for me as it is very compact, doesn't extend on focussing, is fast enough and has great bokeh to be used as a portrait lens on a cropped sensor camera.

Would be interesting to see what it is like with a 1.4x TC as then you get a 126mm f/1.6 macro that will do greater than 1:1.
    Doh - stuffed that up. The 60mm f/2 with a 1.4x TC would of course result in a 84mm f/2.8. It will still do greater than 1:1 with the TC so at least I got that right.

Thanks I @ M for the PMs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    I have just picked up this thread.

Well I know you have already scored your Tammy 90 and expect to see lots of great pics (already seen some).

I went with the 90mm in the end as I preferred the minimum focusing distance, (not to mention the price I got it for) and yes I used it today for my 52/2011 & was quite pleased with the results, hopefully I will improve with practice & understanding

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed the 60mm f/2 costs more than the 90 f/2.8. There are pros and cons for both and certainly the 90 f/2.8 seems better value for money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered the 60mm today ($499 from Adorama). Two factors sold me on this lens - internal focus and the f2. Once it arrives I can hopefully give more feedback, but I've been more than happy with my other Tamron lens.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an exellent and detailed review of the Tamron 60mm at LensTip. Tamron 60mm lens review

There are reviews of other macro lenses at LensTip as well and these have a lot of info (warts and all) so don't get scared off the lens you have in mind. There is no perfect lens, just a lens with a good set of compromises in design that will suit your needs.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my Tamron 60mm f/2 arrived today from Japan. I ordered in on Saturday and the AusPost man delivered it this morning around 10:30 am. I had a quick play with the lens and it is a beauty. I love the fact that front and rear elements are sealed and don't move. I love how the lens does not get larger as you get closer. Focussing, while not ultra-fast is adequate and only really a problem if there is insufficient contrast. Manual focus works well too.

Tamron 60mm macro shots 1 by peterb666, on Flickr

I got mine via eBay for approximately $397 including EMS shipping. That's less than half the cost locally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A handy review now I need to make up my mind the 60mm or the 90 mm

Tad .
    Its a Slice of TIME.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a hard choice. I have been using the 60mm Tamron a couple of months now and it is a nice lens. It does a fine job with portraits and is a pretty good lens for macro too.

The internal focussing means you don't need to get as close to near things as you expect plus with the front and rear elements sealed, internal dust is not likely to be a problem. Very compact for a macro lens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12