Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV vs AV Mode

Darksome wrote: No I haven't tried TV mode ever to be honest, perhaps I should do some experimentation and see how it comes up compared to shooting in AV. Thanks for the tip.

Until I learned to revisit and appreciate the other modes on my 350D was until recently a full M junky!

As I have discovered and to my understanding:
    [edited]TV Mode lets you lock in the Shutter Speed and varies the Aperture automatically for you.
    [edited] AV Mode lets you lock in the Aperture and varies the Shutter Speed automatically for you.
    TV is great for most applications for me as I normally know what DOF I need, if I see the SS is too low then I make bigger aperture (lets more light in) or increase the ISO.

TV lets me shoot in varying light conditions from shade to bright light easily which is what can occur in shooting nature, sport and other applications. I used to find noise a problem as I would often underexpose - not anymore!

That's my tip for the week, insert $2 in the slot below.

|
    |
    Last edited by enduro; 17-04-2007 at 10:35pm.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your TV and AV's are the wrong way round.

AV - you set the aperture - camera adjusts shutter speed automatically for correct expsoure.

TV - you set the shutter speed - camera adjusts aperture automatically for correct exposure.

I use av the majority of the time.. unless indoors shooting with a flash (bouncing) I use Manual mode. AV outdoors with flash = fill flash as the camera meters for the ambient light.
    C & C always welcome / Matte Mac User / Leica M2 - M8 - 28mm 2.8 Elmarit ASPH / Voigtlander 35mm 2.5 Skopar / Sony NEX-5 - 16mm 2.8 - 18-55 Kit - A mount adaptor - 30mm Macro / Rayqual E-mount to Leica M adaptor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanNG View Post
    I think your TV and AV's are the wrong way round.

AV - you set the aperture - camera adjusts shutter speed automatically for correct expsoure.

TV - you set the shutter speed - camera adjusts aperture automatically for correct exposure.

I use av the majority of the time.. unless indoors shooting with a flash (bouncing) I use Manual mode. AV outdoors with flash = fill flash as the camera meters for the ambient light.

AV mode for me too, almost everything except sports, car/bike racing and anything else that might need some panning/motion blur then I will use TV. TV or M for long exposure too

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dammit!!! - it is wrong.

Typed this up in Word and copied the wrong proof in.

To reduce the mental strain on everyone else I edited the OP.

Should have had the coin slot at the top too!

Thanks for you input.
    Last edited by enduro; 18-04-2007 at 12:51am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be honest I switch between Aperature and shutter priority depending on the situation...
    Nikon D80•MB-D80•Nikkor AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED VR•Nikkor 28-200 f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED•Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G AF•Nikkor 55-200 f/4-5.6G AF•Nikkor 50 f1.8•Speedlite SB800
    Nikon FM-3
    Canon AV-1 | Canon Eos Elan
    Olympus C-740

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm generally set on an aperture of around 7 - I shrink it down for landscape and jump to 2.8 if I really need the low light or the dof.

Only go to TV for bulb and panning.