User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14

View Poll Results: POLL: Would you buy a grey market body ??

Voters
508. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

377 74.21%
  • NO

131 25.79%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: POLL: Would you buy a grey market body ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have, and I would again. Same product for a lower cost, and sometimes the warranty isn't affected.
    I know nothing about anything, only what I like.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought my 7d through dwi and i had a problem with the flash
    i sent it back for them to check out and had a new camera within a week
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my D7000 locally and I am quite happy that I did. First off, I got an excellent price (managers special and then a further 10% off I think). Then on top of that, I was going overseas so I got another ~10% off). The camera has a problem with the small LCD screen so luckily I can just go back to the store to replace the camera.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this is dinkum, but looks like Nikon will pricematch grey imports

http://smarthouse.com.au/Digital_Pho...ustry/A9P7P5N4
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought grey market bodies and will again. I have also elected to buy Australian bodies but it depends on the price difference as a proportion of the Australian price and the perceived value of purchasing Australian. The cheaper the body and the greater the price difference, the more likely I am to purchase grey. It varies between brands but Australian 'distributors' generally offer poor value for the premium they charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted 'yes', but only if I am buying a cheaper body, say a 7D. I wouldn't use the grey market for a Canon 5D3 because it has teething problems and it is a bit over-priced. Nor would I buy a 1 series. Anything below $2K seems like a reasonable risk.
    Every day is a good day!

keithbroadphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to drop in here to say I'm happy to report I just picked up a screaming deal on a K-5 at DCW. Fantastic to see a local retailer bringing it to the grey importers. They had a better price than anyone I could find, eBay sellers included.
    Last edited by Eberbachl; 24-04-2012 at 6:40pm.
    Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberbachl View Post
    I have to drop in here to say I'm happy to report I just picked up a screaming deal on a K-5 at DCW. Fantastic to see a local retailer bringing it to the grey importers. They had a better price than anyone I could find, eBay sellers included.
    Obviously not the $1159 on their website? So how does one get the screaming deal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On their website, listed below the body only price, it's $1349 for a K-5 body, an SMC Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR lens, an extra (genuine Pentax) D-L190 battery, and a Sigma EF-530 DG Super flash.

Last edited by Eberbachl; 04-05-2012 at 3:43pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - - - Updated - - -

The (chain) stores in my local area don't seem particularly willing to negotiate, but I got an excellent price on the Pentax K-5 when it came on special. Could have got it a little cheaper online, but decided I wanted a full and local warranty.

They seem, however, unwilling to negotiate on other stuff. So far I have bought 1 lens from DWI and returned it because the motor was incredibly noisy and the lens refused to focus properly (I am a beginner, so got my neighbour who is an experienced pfotographer to check out the settings etc and he couldn't get it working either), so I sent it back and they gave a prompt and courteous refund as I didn't feel confident ordering another one....my nervousness as a beginner photographer cutting in, and no reflection on their service.

Then had a slightly different lens sent from eGlobal (same company, I think) and it arrived extremely promptly and works perfectly.

Have also had a cheap Sigma sent from dcxpert in Melbourne - came with full Aus warranty and was lots cheaper than anywhere else.....good experience, so have ordered another (different) cheapie from them which should arrive on Monday.

For around $800 I now have 3 lenses (plus a very basic kit lens) which are excellent for a beginner/intermediate, and one of them will see me right through to advanced level (if I ever get there!). Had I ordered from my local shop I would have paid around double that.
    Last edited by Snpsht; 19-07-2012 at 6:35pm. Reason: I had made a mistake in my cost calcs
    Pentax K-1, K-3 and some lovely, mostly Pentax, mostly prime lenses - DFA 15-30, 24-70, and 100 Macro, FA 31, 43, and 77 Ltd, DA* 200 & 50-135, DA 12-24, 20-40 (ltd), 15, 21, 35 (Ltd) Macro, 40, 50, plus a couple of manuals from way back and a few others for good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live close to grey market online retailer, although I have a well known major camera store a little closer. I always try to haggle the major outlet first, and if the price isn't far off, I'll make the purchase at the major retailer.
    I'm not shy to tell them what I'm doing, but I always say the I understand they can't match grey market prices.
    i hope they pass on to their reps that they are potentionally losing business to grey market sellers, as this may assist in bringing prices down.
    www.chaosboi.com
    X-Pro2 - X100F - 16 f1.4 - 23 f1.4 - 35 f1.4 - 56 f1.2 - 50-140 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't buy a grey body/lens because I usually get a fantastic price from my JB store...

Take for example my new D800 and Nikon 24-70 2.8 lens. Picked up the body for $3350 and the lens $1680.. which are about $100 more than grey prices yet I get 2 years warranty.

I will, however, be buying a Nikon speedlight grey in the near future. Not much that can go wrong with them and the big stores aren't playing ball.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213