User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14

View Poll Results: POLL: Would you buy a grey market body ??

Voters
508. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

377 74.21%
  • NO

131 25.79%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Would you buy a grey market body ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Said Yes, warranty on Grey (Australian importer) stands up as well if not better than the big companies, in my experience, the service, information and treatment first class.
    Last edited by Lizzie; 21-12-2010 at 7:46pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought three Nikons from overseas and never had a problem. First a Coolpix 8700, then Nikon d80 which I still have and use occasionally, depending on what I have on the D300s I bought just over 12 months ago.
    Imagine someone with more money than sense going into Hardly Normal and buying a D700 for $3990. Grey market models are under $2100 now. If Australian importers just sold from their factories, cameras would be much cheaper than paying for shop frontages, usually staffed with people who know very little about advanced cameras.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that depends on what damage Mr Bloody Hardly Norman has done,
    Hopefully more harm to his own empire than to the consumer
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought a body off DWI before; no issues at all and fast postage to boot - do recommend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am finally looking at buying my first dslr in the next few months, if not sooner. I'd be voting yes as well if the vote thing was still active for me. Just tossing up between a canon 500d and the 550 body.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes for me. Saved $3,000 on retail, that covers a lot of warranty work. None needed so far, 5 months in. And my OS supplier has an Australian address for warranty repairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my D90 and 18-200 that way from co. in Sydney. Had a problem with thet lens - autofocus fail. returned for warranty repairs no problem. Did I mention the savings? Anyway - would do so again as long as the dealer was reputable and had am establish australian service agent....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently considering a 550D body with 18-55mm kit lens and found the following options:
    $724 grey KISS X4 from Hong Kong free postage
    or
    $895 local imported grey KISS X4 free postage
    or
    $1295 local stock EOS 550D

Defenitely leaning towards the grey from HK considering the price difference which could be put towards another lens

Only thing holding me back from making the purchase is the release of EOS 600D / KISS X5

So another vote for grey imports from me provided i feel comfortable with the source in terms of reliability

C.J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reflector judging by the price that would be who I was planning to get my kit from. I ended up just getting the body from them at $660 though as last week they had upped the price of the kits to 740. Hopefully it should arrive this week. BTW There is an additional $15 insurance to add to that cost. You don't hear about it until you say you'll buy.
    Last edited by kexkez; 14-02-2011 at 10:40pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kexkez View Post
    Reflector judging by the price that would be who I was planning to get my kit from. I ended up just getting the body from them at $660 though as last week they had upped the price of the kits to 740. Hopefully it should arrive this week. BTW There is an additional $15 insurance to add to that cost. You don't hear about it until you say you'll buy.
    Thanks for the info about the $15 insurance. I bet the wait feels like forever for your body to arrive....
    I've been informed that the EOS 600D will be available in March so I'm gonna wait till it's release and compare the prices. If the grey KISS X5 is good value then I'm gonna decide on that, else it'll be the KISS X4.

C.J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camera arrived on Tuesday. I'm regional WA and things usually take at least 2 days once in Perth. Pretty good going for something that left HK on saturday. The tracking details were excellent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never bought a grey market DLSR body but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

*removed - members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot promote commercial companies : please read the site rules : admin *
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-02-2011 at 10:56pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Panasonic G2 not that long ago from HK, it was around $440 shipped (new in box), that is around half the local price...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joele View Post
    I bought a Panasonic G2 not that long ago from HK, it was around $440 shipped (new in box), that is around half the local price...
    *removed - members with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot complain about companies, people, products or services on Ausphotography. Please read the site rules : admin *
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-02-2011 at 10:55pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The book thing is stupid, they introduce these protectionist policies to protect local publishers and totally destroy the retail end of the industry.. even more jobs lost as a result!!

I admit I also buy books from the UK, I refuse to pay around $40-$50 for a new release hard cover at borders when I can buy it from the UK for $20 shipped to my door.. (These kinds of price difference were still there even before the Aussie dollar rose, so they shouldn't blame that)..
    Last edited by joele; 20-02-2011 at 10:21pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed - members with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot complain about companies, people, products or services on Ausphotography. Please read the site rules : admin *
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-02-2011 at 10:55pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently in the market for some new gear, and there's something about grey market products that raises the hair on my back a little.

Part of me thinks that even though I'll be paying a bit more, I want to know that I've got that extra level of cover and service from buying locally. Which completely flies in the face of my usual tightness when it comes to money!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted no, i would not buy a a grey market body, but i have purchased a Sigma 150-500 lens grey market due to the large price difference.
    If a lens goes wrong most people have other lenses to carry on with but if a camera body breaks down unless you have a back up body no more pix until the body is repaired/replaced .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely a grey set, but just test it extensively when it comes, so you can return it if it is not functioning well. Other than that, i doubt much equipment can breakdown in 12 months time unless you are unlucky. Bought a grey tamron lens and sigma flash, which are way cheaper than local prices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my 5D Mark II body, 50mm f/1.4, and first 580EXII Speedlite from a local Aussie retailer, before I discovered the grey market. I wish I'd made my initial purchases via grey import too - would have saved me well over $1000 - enough for at least one more L lens! :/
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast