User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14

View Poll Results: POLL: Would you buy a grey market body ??

Voters
508. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

377 74.21%
  • NO

131 25.79%
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Would you buy a grey market body ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

POLL: Would you buy a grey market body ??

Today I found out the new Sony A850 will retail for $3499 when it arrives in a few weeks time. After doing a little snooping around and discovering I will be able to pick it up for about $2500 grey market .. It got me wondering how many of you would buy a substantial item like a FF body on the grey market ?? At the end of the day, its a lot of money to risk, but its also a lot of money to save too ..
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my D3 that way, so, yeah, I have and would again
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get the whole 'grey-market' thing...

If it's so taboo why dont the big company's put a stop to it.

Aren't these grey market products made by the companies in question anyway or are they knock-offs?
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon have tried to stop it by refusing warranty claims on cameras not bought in Australia but there are ways around this. My 50D came from DigitalRev on EBay but it does have a warranty which is able to be exercised in Australia. Extended warranties can also be bought here.

I saved about $300-$400 dollars.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted no - you need maybe and candy options.

Maybe ... the K-7 was local but I got a good price <5% on grey - so local was worth it.

But if I were 20% or more better off I might go grey.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodallphotography View Post

Aren't these grey market products made by the companies in question anyway or are they knock-offs?
    Hi

yes, they are genuine articles, they are just imported by non-authorised dealers. There can be problems in getting them serviced or repaired. I have bought grey market lenses, but I'd rather get a camera body from the authorised importer.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "local" distributors, here, USA, Europe, etc. etc. would love to see parallel imported cameras stopped but to the manufacturers and more importantly the share holders of the companies, a camera sold is a camera sold, they get their profit margin irrespective of how the unit reaches the consumer.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think its taboo at all .. I just think that when buying something of much more worth like a body, or top grade glass, you need to weigh up whether the cash saving is worth having less peace of mind in terms of warranty if something should go wrong .. for less expensive items its less of a gamble with less to lose but bodies are big money, particularly FF bodies.

My situation is simple, I can save $1000 now, which is 30% if the RRP of the camera .. a significant saving. And the particular importer im considering buying from has a service agent in Australia that deals with all their warranty claims, which is a big plus.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C R Kennedy will match Sigma grey imports...

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds to me like it`s worthwhile Darren. I think I would go for it. My next body, if not bought 2nd hand on fleabay, will be grey market and hopefully a rep company like the one you are going to buy through. I wouldn`t buy from OS, HK, etc.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    C R Kennedy will match Sigma grey imports...

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465
    thats interesting Kym. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Way back when when i bought my 10-20 I called tham and asked them if they would match the price from DigtialRev because Id prefer to buy local if possible but without being out of pocket .. no-one returned my call.

I ended up buying the lens at Canera House because I got a very good deal in the end ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    I wouldn`t buy from OS, HK, etc.
    These guys are OZ based but all their stock is HK stock. Its worth mentioning ive bought lenses from them before and have no problems whatsoever.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Once the warranty period (12 months usually) is over, there is no difference in the cost of repairs etc. I voted Yes.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Once the warranty period (12 months usually) is over, there is no difference in the cost of repairs etc. I voted Yes.
    I agree with that too Rick ... so you just gotta cross your fingers it stays good for that initial warranty period. But in saying that, a few weeks back I would have been toast with a grey market body. My camera s%^&t itself on a shoot. I took it to Progear in Sydney, Sonys authorised repairer, with a few days of warranty left. If it had have been an import it would have cost me $60 just to drop it off, and then god knows how much to fix ( repairs were a replacement AF module and a replacement Aperture module )

So this little experience is whats got me thinking about which way to go ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted yes because I have done and will again, especially if the $AU is strong. You could get a lot of repairs done for $1000....and like you said it still comes with a warranty anyway.
    Ultimately although it is a bit of a punt especially if you haven't tested their warranty out, it makes an option you would be silly to disregard, as the savings make it worthwhile....and isn't life all about taking informed chances.

ye have just had a brush with frame and a bird be whistling at ye. Strut yer stuff in th' bush
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    Hi

There can be problems in getting them serviced or repaired. I have bought grey market lenses, but I'd rather get a camera body from the authorised importer.
    Both Canon and Nikon in Australia have stated they will repair grey market cameras without any issues.

The owners will just have to pay for any repairs. And once the 12 month warranty is over, so do the owners who bought their camera through Australian suppliers. A warrantly only covers manufacturing defects, so any damage etc caused by an owner, is treated and repaired exactly the same, whether the item is Australian distributed or grey market.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    it makes an option you would be silly to disregard, as the savings make it worthwhile....and isn't life all about taking informed chances.
    Absolutely Lani .. and the reality is I probably will end up buying it considering they just emailed me about 5 seconds ago telling me they have it in stock ready to ship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply agreed with Rick and others and said yes. Those with a legitimate business have another option and that is insurance. Loss anywhere in the world, accidental damage, loss of profit etc., are all there for professionals and when you have a lot of gear and travel commercially insurance is essential.
    When it comes to high end video cameras I won't touch the grey market because it would destroy employment and opportunity in a market which is a great deal smaller than the camera market employment wise. One day that may change. Just a personal choice.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated before, after 12 months, a grey market item will cost just the same to repair as an aus item. If the saving seems worth the risk, then why not?

However, I might add that I would probably not go as far as ordering one thru an ebay shop run out of the middle empire. A local grey importer with a good rep, like discount digital would be my pref.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought my d80 from singapore and d300 from malaysia
    even cheaper than australian fronted grey retailers because you're paying in local currency
    Thanks,
    Nam

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast