User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Feathering graduated ND filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feathering graduated ND filters

Good old youtube you have to love it, The "Recommended for You" section is very handy it knows what videos you like and suggests things.

Most recently it suggested this video to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxdCfbE2FI

In the video he manually holds the ND filter and feathers it to smooth the edge of the filter sounds like a good tip to me he was even managing to do it for a 6 second image.

Think I will have to give this a try
    Jason / Brisbane QLD flickr
    Canon 5D Mk II 40D, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hahaha. not an uncommon thing to do. I find if I hand hold mine (which I do a bit), that I am not the steadiest person, and do the same thing, just never gave it a name like feathering, for me it is more like Coffee jitters...LOL
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    hahaha. not an uncommon thing to do. I find if I hand hold mine (which I do a bit), that I am not the steadiest person, and do the same thing, just never gave it a name like feathering, for me it is more like Coffee jitters...LOL
    Cool I'd not head of it I always just kept mine in the holder,

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! same here. I'm normally a hand holding type, and have the 'fingerprints' to prove it .. but I'm not keen on holding the filter for 6 sec to begin with. Usually by about the 2nd or 3rd sec I've probably got bored and just simply removed the filter, fell asleep or forgotten what I was doing!.... and he calls it feathering huh?

over a six sec exposure I doubt that the very minimal 'feathering' that he did in that video is going to make any difference too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    lol man coffee has so many uses
    C&C is always welcome, and dont be gentle
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nikon D80 w/vertical grip | Tokina 12-24 |Nikon 18-55 | Nikon 18-70 | Nikon 70-300 | Sigma 150-500
    Nikon SB800 | Nikon SB 80dx
    Cokin P filters
    other assorted bits and bobs all in a
    Lowepro compu trekker plus aw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tip though, I never thought of doing that!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hand hold mine too lol - mind you holding for 2 minutes can definitely result in feathering though I never thought to name that technique :P
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export