Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Trial Blending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trial Blending

Hey all
    Been trying to learn how to blend multiple exposures which im finding quite hard as it is all new to me,so i thought i would post some pics up such as original shadows/highlights image & my ordinary attempt @ blending them.Would like to see how you guy's would pp them such as blending or dodging/burning them,Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1: shadows
    2: highlights
    3 & 4 My attemps, would like to get sharper & lighten the boat
    Regards brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday Brad, Just had a brief play with this.
    I used image #3, the one on the left I used a dodge and burn layer(50% gray, overlay blend mode)and just dodged the Fg and boat.
    On the right I duplicated the layer changed blending mode to screen (to lighten the whole image) then Layer>layermask>hide all. Then painted with a soft white brush at 15% until I revealed some detail. I then copied this layer twice to get the result shown.
    I think your biggest issue is going to be what looks like a flare over the front 1/3 of the boat any more shadow recovery there really makes it obvious.
    Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing what others might be able to achieve and how.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spose it's not really blending manually as such but if you had 3 shots of the boat with different EV say -1,0 and +1 (or can use one RAW file) you could try doing a HDR to blend it in more?

Here's a pseudo hdr just using the 3rd shot (using dynamic photo hdr)
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey dbax i like the dodge layer,i find it hard to use this technique as i have tried a couple of times but dont really know what im doing as it is all new to me,just going to have to keep fiddling around with it i guess.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey miaow like the foreground & the boat but not sure about the cliff in the background as it looks to overdone.but much better then the ones i came up with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another psuedo hdr using the 2nd one

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_77 View Post
    hey dbax i like the dodge layer,i find it hard to use this technique as i have tried a couple of times but dont really know what im doing as it is all new to me,just going to have to keep fiddling around with it i guess.
    Hey Brad somewhere there's a link to a short video tutorial on the Dodge & Burn layer technique, I'll see if I can find it....watch this space

Sorry about the delay had to go to another site to find it
    http://www.photoshopkillertips.com/archives/344
    heres the link, some times the vision doesn't show on the site but it works fine thru the download(quicktime).
    Hope it helps
    Last edited by dbax; 31-08-2009 at 8:16pm. Reason: new info

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW nice work Cat, you can see the effect that the"flare" coming tru that dip in the hills is going to have on the boat