Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Bags, what is best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Bags, what is best

I need to get a new camera bag, the one i have the lining is ripping away from the seems on the inside.

I'm not too sure want to get. I would like a back pack style bag because that's easier when I go bush walking. Because at the moment I only take the camera and the lens attached to it, but ideally i'd like to have both lens with me.

So can anyone here give me any suggestions/recommendations on bags.

tia

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the lowpro mini trekker and absolutely LOVE it ( thanks Paul ) It's big enough to fit everything that I own into it,without being too big and bulky, and it's not too heavy either hope that helps!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the LowePro Orion Trekker and Flipside 400. The two are like Chalk & Cheese.

The Orion Trekker holds almost as much as the Flipside, but has no waterproof cover and no padding in the upper compartment.

The Flipside 400 holds marginally more than the Trekker and can be swivelled on the waist strap to allow camera removal.

Which is best? For me, the Orion Trekker by a mile, it's simply more comfortable, the flipside is a dog in comparison, the strap shoulder strap placement and general balance of the Flipside isn't comfortable for me, a couple of hours and my shoulders and neck ache, the Orion Trekker on the other hand can be worn all day and is barely noticeable after long periods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Lowepro flipside 400,which fits camera body & about 5 lenses & 2 Flashes
    There are smaller sizes,
    the feature I like about this one is that you don't have to take the backpack off to get your stuff out & its probably more secure in that it can't be accessed by anyone while it's on your back
    The LP Slingshot is also very good
    Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Tamrac Adventurer 9.
    Its great as i can fit my D300 with 24-70 attached along with another lens and flash.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-31894465.html
    I'm not totally useless, I can always be used as a bad example

Stuart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I have both the LowePro Orion Trekker and Flipside 400. The two are like Chalk & Cheese.

The Orion Trekker holds almost as much as the Flipside, but has no waterproof cover and no padding in the upper compartment.

The Flipside 400 holds marginally more than the Trekker and can be swivelled on the waist strap to allow camera removal.

Which is best? For me, the Orion Trekker by a mile, it's simply more comfortable, the flipside is a dog in comparison, the strap shoulder strap placement and general balance of the Flipside isn't comfortable for me, a couple of hours and my shoulders and neck ache, the Orion Trekker on the other hand can be worn all day and is barely noticeable after long periods.
    Hmmm interesting..... I was going to add that the flipside was very comfortable, I can walk with mine on for a few hours with no real discomfort, I'll take a look at the Orion trekker some time

cheers

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a lowepro trekker as well, and I think the top handle on the Tamrac equivalent is nicer to hold on to due to it's more comfy design.

I didn't like the way the trekker (AW100 from memory??) didn't stand upright with much stability due to the soft base, where the Tamracs and the Vanguard(brand that I have) have a solid plastic base, and stand upright with more sure footedness.

From what I've seen Kata have the best camera bag designs, I think about the same price range as the Lowepro, where Tamrac are about the same, but Vanguard are usually cheaper.

I'm trying to avoid getting a lowepro again, as there are cheaper and/or better alternatives available, but unfortunately for me the next bag that I need is only made by Lowepro!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW and I love it....It is really comfortable and I love the easy access to my gear without having to take the bag off! It has a pull out rain cover and lots of loops on the outer to attach smaller bags. The only improvement I think it could do with is a Tripod holder/attachment. (but hey, then my husband would have an excuse not to come with me as he's my official Tripod carrier!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a LowePro CompuTrekker. Has seperate compartment for my Laptop as well as room for all the normal stuff. Prefer a Backpack due to the weight of the gear and the walk from the car at some of the venues can be a bit of a hike. I have thought of a smaller bag and only carry what I need each time but the weight doesn't bother me and I like only having to grab one bag.

The wife bought it for me about two years ago and has taken a real beating during that time. Have been very happy with it.

Chook

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been very happy with my 'bagman' backpack. Looks a bit like a Crumpler, but without the price-tag. Something a bit different, styling-wise, from your average camera backpack. I did a full review with pictures here.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I outgrew my Lowepro Microtrekker, and now have the Lowepro Minitrekker which carries all my gear as well as the tripod when needed. It is the same size as the Lowepro Computrekker without the computer compartment.
    Pick them up cheap from Ebay (Made in China).
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone for the replies, now to find one that suits me.

I will start with the ones you have all suggested and go from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowepro Slingshot 200AW here. Its a great bag with easy access as you don't have to take it off to get to your gear.
    Pano G85.. Is micro 4/3rds suitable for photography, you bet your butt it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought the Micro Trekker 200 on the weekend. Fits more than enough for me (but I don't carry much). Now I just have to customise it a big (de-badge, sew some ribbons on, maybe a flower or two ) and I'm ready to go!
    Cheers,
    Terri

Nikon D90 | Olympus XZ-1 | Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 | Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro | Nikon 50mm f1.4 | Nikon 18-105mm VR | Photoshop Element 7.0 | Manfrotto 190X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post

I thought it was just me with the flipside. I have the 300 & yes after a few hours I have the same problem. Must need to buy another bag

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For quite a while I had the Tamrac 75. It's not a bad, smallish bag (you can just stuff a camera with grip and 400mm lens attached, 70-200 and a 17-40 in it - just). I've since moved up to the Tamrac Expedition 7, a bigger bag, but with much better support for the weight I carry around.

Depending on the job though, I sometimes slim down to a couple of belt attached lens cases and sling the camera over my shoulder.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for now im using the EOS canon bag which i got from that promotion that was on little while ago,
    great little bag!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard messenger bag with domke inserts. The best bag is one that doesn't look like a camera bag, yet functions as one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
    Standard messenger bag with domke inserts. The best bag is one that doesn't look like a camera bag, yet functions as one.
    There is some merit to this from a security viewpoint if you'll be doing city stuff or lot's of travelling, however since I always keep a very watchful eye on my stuff, I haven't bothered to go "undercover" with my own bags.

I often take my gear out on bushwalks of some distance and have only positive things to say about my Lowepro mini-tracker AW. Holds quite enough kit including tripod if required and is very comfortable. No laptop pouch though which may bother some.
    The world is an AMAZING place . . .
    flickr :: panoramio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matilda
    I use a Kata 3N1-20 and find it great as a everyday bag. Comes in 3 sizes.
    Cheers, Glenn
    Constructive Critique Appreciated - So That I May Learn And One Day Pass On Knowledge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast