User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Think my black printhead is gooooone? How do I fix it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think my black printhead is gooooone? How do I fix it?

I think the black printhead on my Epson R230 is gone. Does anyone know how to fix this as I have heaps of ink in stock and don't want to waste it. I've attached a sample print of my current "black only" print.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200 2.8
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8
    Nikkor 18-70 kit lens
    Nikon SB800 Speedlite
    and other stuff

I view stupidity as a virtue.....well it works for me anyway!
    Australian Photography Competitions- Have you voted yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long since you last printed? It looks pretty crook, but have you done a head clean? Also, is it consistent if you use another black cartridge?
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calxoddity View Post
    how long since you last printed? It looks pretty crook, but have you done a head clean? Also, is it consistent if you use another black cartridge?
    The printer is used almost everyday and yes Ive done all the usual stuff like head cleans etc. The head is acutally clean, all the lines appear on the test print but they are scrambled. I don't think the cartridge change will do it as the heads on epson printers are within the unit itself and not part of the cartridge (well I think thats the case). I can't seem to locate a tutorial for changing/cleaning the print head on google.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recalled an issue I had with one of my older Epson's - when doing a head clean the print head moves over to its little docking area which has a sponge like pad under it to absorb all the excess ink expelled during the clean process. If you do excessive cleaning the pad gets saturated with inks and the waste ink can then sit on the print head in a drip and then get transfered to the paper causing lines.

This of course may not be your problem but its something else to waste your time with

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because epson printheads are in the machine you have to dismantle it and remove the head, if u soak it in some windex overnight it should clean the cloggs out, i had to do this with my old epson on numerous occasions because of using generic inks, for some reason epson printers just do not like them.
    Canon 50d - 300d backup - 28/135mm IS usm - 50mm 1.8 - ettl flash - Assortmant of other stuff I hardly use
    I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Does anyone know of an online tutorial for removing and cleaning the head/s or pads?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    Thanks guys. Does anyone know of an online tutorial for removing and cleaning the head/s or pads?
    http://www.inkproducts.com/epson-printhead-removal.htm

get past the product promotion bit..hope that helps
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Because epson printheads are in the machine you have to dismantle it and remove the head, if u soak it in some windex overnight it should clean the cloggs out, i had to do this with my old epson on numerous occasions because of using generic inks, for some reason epson printers just do not like them.
    The stuff you soak it in or whether youneed to get it professionally cleaned will depend on what ink you have been using. Some of the archival/pro Epson genuine inks are pigment based and once these dry out you will have all sorts of trouble trying to get any residue out - like trying to clean out concrete from a mixer. If the ink is only a dye type (non-genuine or some of the low priced consumer models) then the windex will probably do the trick. Chech which sort of ink you use before you decide to pull it down - it may need professional help.