User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: North pine dam disaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

North pine dam disaster

A few AP and other people came to North Pine Dam for sunrise this morning. I was doing some experimenting with using Tungsten white balance before sunrise (1) and then looking for an interesting composition foreground after sunrise (2) without much success.

I have been to the Gold Scrub Lane entrance recommended by others twice now and remain convinced there must be better places around the dam composition wise for this place...there was not much on offer and we sank into wet ground that gave way under the tripod too easily. Might be a good entry point for birding, but definitely not for landscapes IMHO

I will go back there again, but I will scout it during the day for better foreground first.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disaster ? Loving #2 a lot you have some cool mist and a interesting colour in the sky.
    I drive past Gold Scrub land each day to work I'd like to check out this area as I often see cars parked in the mornings.

My last visit I ran into a bird spotter with a serious pair of binoculars he suggested a road up a bit further called Post Man something road lane Post Man something rather I know the street but google does not list it.
    Jason / Brisbane QLD flickr
    Canon 5D Mk II 40D, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments Jason: think I might take u up on having another go at the alternative site soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thanks for the comments Jason: think I might take u up on having another go at the alternative site soon.
    If you drive out of Gold Scrub lane and turn right the way I went home you will see the post man something on the right hand side not too far up the road.

Keen to keep at this place too

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with Jason about the images. is it my monitor or is there a dirt spot in #2?
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2 my favourite, but think what you did with #1 {think that was when you were telling me about play around with the white balance} is pretty cool

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gold Scrub Lane, as you mention David, isn't as much a landscape location as a Birding location. Hope you all hung around and did some birding, there's plenty to be had there.

There are a couple of other spots that might be better for landscapes on that dam. One over on Beeville Rd, and another on Forgan Rd.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    i agree with Jason about the images. is it my monitor or is there a dirt spot in #2?
    I can not see a dirt spot, just mist and grass...thanks for the feed back though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacs14 View Post
    #2 my favourite, but think what you did with #1 {think that was when you were telling me about play around with the white balance} is pretty cool
    Thanks J, hope you had a good morning and got some keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdeGroot View Post
    Gold Scrub Lane, as you mention David, isn't as much a landscape location as a Birding location. Hope you all hung around and did some birding, there's plenty to be had there. . There are a couple of other spots that might be better for landscapes on that dam. One over on Beeville Rd, and another on Forgan Rd.
    Aha, should have asked you about the place Dave, not surprised you have the goss on the better places.. will check them out along with the other 'post.... ] sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with others i love the 2nd shot as well.

Like mudman i can also see the dirt spot on number 2. In the sky right hand side.

Mike
    Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Speedlite 580EX II

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice images, David. You do have a couple of dust bunnies there, you can get rid of them with the magic healing brush or the clone tool.

When I looked the map for that location, there are lots of little tracks down to the water, I didn't think Gold Scrub lane looked very good as a landscape location just from the topography. Check it out on google maps with satellite view on and then you can zoom in.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msenior View Post
    As with others i love the 2nd shot as well.

Like mudman i can also see the dirt spot on number 2. In the sky right hand side.

Mike
    Thanks Mike; I really do have to get my camera in to the bunnie shop and get rid of them: being talking about it for months now.. ok.. I am going to do this week

Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Nice images, David. You do have a couple of dust bunnies there, you can get rid of them with the magic healing brush or the clone tool.

When I looked the map for that location, there are lots of little tracks down to the water, I didn't think Gold Scrub lane looked very good as a landscape location just from the topography. Check it out on google maps with satellite view on and then you can zoom in.

Thanks Odille for the suggestions: I will have to have a good look on google for the satellite image and do better home work on this place.. I think it has potential but not where we were.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have done well with what was on offer there David. It is hard to get a good shot without some foreground interest but in the second the mist and colour is great. Well done mate! You need to get out to Moogerah Dam mate, much better for the landscapes.
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3