User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rechargable Batteries AA - what to look for?

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    *#That's only true for cheap fast chargers.

A MaHa C9000 charges and discharges, cycles etc. It is a true battery management system.

Fast chargers are fine ... IF they cut out before overheating or overcharging.
    The C9000 is very good at that; the cells are never hot only a little warm (normal) after charging.

The C9000 lets you fully program the charge rate. So you can do a 1/10th C slow or 1/2 or higher C fast charge.
    Either way the C9000 will not overcharge or overheat your cells.

Do some research. Google: Maha c9000 review

I know I sound like an advert but I have had significant experience with rechargeable battery technologies in various applications over the last 20 or so years. (RC aircraft; portable radio and computer gear (warehousing application); computer UPS etc).
    I know what works; also what is myth and fact.
    I didn't know there was a Maha charger with variable charge rates, that sounds like a very good idea. I had a smart charger that monitered temperature & voltage.... it still ate batteries, they were fairly warm once charged :-(

If the Maha works for you thats cool. I suspect your charger cost a lot more than mine plus an extra set of batteries so if you are organised my system costs less and still works well. I quite like having the extra batteries as backups, YMMV

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ############## View Post
    I didn't know there was a Maha charger with variable charge rates, that sounds like a very good idea. I had a smart charger that monitered temperature & voltage.... it still ate batteries, they were fairly warm once charged :-(
    If the Maha works for you thats cool. I suspect your charger cost a lot more than mine plus an extra set of batteries so if you are organised my system costs less and still works well. I quite like having the extra batteries as backups, YMMV
    Warm - yes but not hot. Some fast chargers leave the cells so hot you can almost burn your fingers - not good. The C9000 has negative delta V, peak voltage, dT/dt (temperature rise) and max temperature protection - it just works.

The C9000 is $89 plus postage from Jeff Servaas. Which is a great investment even if it only doubles your cell life. (Sounding like an advert again )
    Its also very good a reconditioning cells using the 'break-in' mode or 'refresh/analyse' both involve discharge cycles.
    http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-m...yzer-p-52.html

If you are dependant on AA cells (and most of us are for at least our Flash units) then seriously look at the C9000.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser PROtog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys

I thought I would join the conversation, seeing as you are talking about some of the test results published on our website.

Quote Originally Posted by campo
    I can guarantee my PowerEx 2700's don't go flat that quick...I shot a wedding on the gold coast almost two weeks ago and used a bit of flash at the reception and they're still going fine as of last night...
    I would concur with this. I tested a set of 4 x Powerex 2700's that were over a year old. I charged them in a MH-C9000 and measured the capacity. I left them for 60 days, and then discharged them in the MH-C9000, and they had retained 84% of their charged capacity.

Cheers

Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great info in your posts, just went and order a c-9000 charger and 2 sets of IMEDIONS from Servaas.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by servaasproducts View Post
    Hi Guys

I thought I would join the conversation, seeing as you are talking about some of the test results published on our website.

I would concur with this. I tested a set of 4 x Powerex 2700's that were over a year old. I charged them in a MH-C9000 and measured the capacity. I left them for 60 days, and then discharged them in the MH-C9000, and they had retained 84% of their charged capacity.

Cheers

Jeff
    Jeff,

Thanks for the input - any chance of an aus photography discount code ...

cheers.

Canon 5D Mark II, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser PROtog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ############## View Post
    RE: first link - Pity they didn't test Eneloops...
    There are lots of independent tests comparing eneloop and powerex in flashes if you search. Nothing I can link to though.

The claim that Eneloops don't come with a battery holder is also incorrect - not sure about the twin packs, but the 4 packs come with a nice little holder. I don't sell batteries or have any connection with any battery co... unlike servaas lol
    What holder did your eneloops come with? Maybe eneloops used to have a holder, but they don't now. Here is a picture of the packaging that eneloops are being delivered in since last year:

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record: I have no relationship with Jeff Servaas ... other than using product.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by servaasproducts View Post
    There are lots of independent tests comparing eneloop and powerex in flashes if you search. Nothing I can link to though.

What holder did your eneloops come with? Maybe eneloops used to have a holder, but they don't now. Here is a picture of the packaging that eneloops are being delivered in since last year:
    All the Eneloops I have bought from DSE have come with a clear clamshell clip together holder. There seems to be quite a range of packaging for them, it may depend where you buy them from. I haven't seen the packaging you show here until now. Confusing isn't it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a set of Sony 2500s to try out .. last weekend they lasted me about 6 hours and over 300 frames and still werent done with when I packed up.. very impressed
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anyone got the Maha 8 cell charger ??

I really want to get something that does more than 4 batteries at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash batteries

Hey guys,

I got a FL50R Flash (olympus) and was having a problem with the rechargeable batteries, i had 2000mhz Duracel rechargable batterys (NiMH). After the first charge i put them in, and they died within seconds... I then chucked them back in the charger, charged until it said it was ready by the led's and tryed them again. Same thing happened, i spoke to the guy at jbhifi and he said try charguing them for around 4 hours (it was a 30minute charger). Tryed again and died straight away so i took them back and have just been using Alkaline for a while which will get upto 500 flashes. Has anyone else ever experienced this with there flashes? Should i try a different brand with a higher Mh?

Also i checked the flash booklet and it states they can use NiMH Batterys?..

Thanks, Luke
    Olympus E3 \ 12-60mm f2.8-4 \ 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 \ FL50R flash \ SLIK Pro700DX \ Manfrotto 222 joystick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukiez View Post
    Hey guys,

I got a FL50R Flash (olympus) and was having a problem with the rechargeable batteries, i had 2000mhz Duracel rechargable batterys (NiMH). After the first charge i put them in, and they died within seconds... I then chucked them back in the charger, charged until it said it was ready by the led's and tryed them again. Same thing happened, i spoke to the guy at jbhifi and he said try charguing them for around 4 hours (it was a 30minute charger). Tryed again and died straight away so i took them back and have just been using Alkaline for a while which will get upto 500 flashes. Has anyone else ever experienced this with there flashes? Should i try a different brand with a higher Mh?

Also i checked the flash booklet and it states they can use NiMH Batterys?..

Thanks, Luke
    Luke perhaps grab a different brand? I have a pair of eneloops (bought them for when I hired a flash) and they worked a treat, from the number of people here who recommended (and other forums) I say you couldn't go wrong with a set of them. They aren't super expensive either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after reading everyones reviews i am going to purchase some eneloops like you suggested aswell mikec.. thanks fingers crossed its not my flash

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukiez View Post
    after reading everyones reviews i am going to purchase some eneloops like you suggested aswell mikec.. thanks fingers crossed its not my flash
    Don't underestimate the value of a good charger. The cheap fast chargers will kill your cells!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing me to this thread Kym missed it when searching ... i just went to dicksmith and got Eneloops and they came with a charger, will that charger be okay for these batterys?

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A battery manager is the answer. See above posts. The C9000 is one of the best and affordable. I have one. The Sanyo charger is just ok.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    A battery manager is the answer. See above posts. The C9000 is one of the best and affordable. I have one. The Sanyo charger is just ok.
    I'll second that, I just bought a MH-C9000 after reading this thread and it is brilliant. All of a sudden I know what my batteries are doing rather than just guessing with a quick charger.

Go buy one, you won't look back.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add to that, thanks to Dave and Kym for your posts in this thread. I love my new charger!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey were can you purchase these other chargers? Is there any retailers besides online?

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Servaas is your best option - online but Aussie.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast