User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rechargable Batteries AA - what to look for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rechargable Batteries AA - what to look for?

What are the best kind of batteries for Canon 580EXII flashes?

2500's Energisers?

Canon 5D Mark II, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Pack off them.

2450mHa if i remember correctly, the went lasted over a week just sitting in the flash and around 1000 Shots

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=24359

I would stay away from Energisers.

Talk to Jeff here: http://servaas.com.au/

Maha Powerex 2700mAh NiMh AA rechargeable Batteries or
    Powerex Imedion 2100mAh AA rechargeable Batteries (low discharge = long shelf life with near full charge)

Add in a Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Battery Charger & Analyzer and you will never have AA troubles again.

I have a C9000 and Powerex for my flash.
    I also have some Sanyo Eneloops (low discharge) which are very good.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are what I use in all my gear (I have 16 of them)
    http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/con...a-consumer.com

I have the 2100mAh ones and have had no issues.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO NOT buy Energizers. They do not hold their charge and will die rather quickly.

Get Sanyo Eneloops or Powerex Imideons. Both are slow discharge type NiMH batteries. i.e. they'll hold 80% charge after a year, so they're always ready when you need them. They go for about $20/4 AAs but are totally worth it.

On top of that, get an intelligent charger - something like a Maha C9000, you can dial in a slow charge and they shutoff based on charge, time and temp. as opposed to generic timed chargers that tend to overcharge your batteries and thus shorten their life.

All of these can be got from www.servaas.com.au (great guys btw), or the Sanyo batteries are also available from Dick Smith stores.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Dave said what I said.

I totally agree!

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    I think Dave said what I said.

I totally agree!
    I noticed that after I'd hit Submit Reply ;-)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave wins the jackpot

There are a couple of features that are noteworthy:
    1) Capacity (expressed in mAh)
    2) Voltage (in V)
    3) Internal resistance (in Ohm)

You can compare capacity with the contents of the fueltank in your car. If you always floor it, the tank will be empty pretty quickly. If you drive as if you're on eggs, its contents brings you a lot further. For a flash, capacity translates to the number of shots you can fire before the batteries are depleted. There is one problem though: self-discharge. It's as if there are holes in the fueltank; after a week, you've lost a couple of liters, no matter if you drive it or not. That happens with rechargeable batteries too: if you load them, than store them a long time before actually using them, you won't be able to use the flash as often anymore.

Voltage doesn't really matter very much for a flash - it's current that is important. The current the batteries deliver determines how fast your flash recycles. Current = voltage / resistance. Now, all NiMH batteries use a voltage of 1.2V. Most non-rechargeable batteries provide 1.5V. However, the internal resistance of NiMH batteries is lower (especially when not completely full anymore), making them the better choice for your flash.

In the end, Eneloops are a great choice; they just are not available in capacities > 2000 mAh as far as I know. If you use the flash regularly and use batteries in one go until they're flat, a standard NiMH battery just might do better (there are some out there that go up to 3200 mAh or so). However, if you use the flash for a couple of shots and than put it away for a couple of weeks before using it again, Eneloops definitely are the better choice.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Maha Powerex 2700mAh NiMh AA rechargeable Batteries as my primary set for my Nikon SB-600 speedlight. My second set are Sanyo Eneloops which (as mentioned above) hold their charge for longer periods of time.

I also use a Maha charger that has individual circuits for batteries (ie. i can charge different types of batteries or odd numbers at the same time).

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The intelligent chargers seem to be well regarded and I must investigate them. As for batteries we have had 2 sets of Lenmar R2G batteries on the go for over 12 months with regular heavy use in an SB800 and now an SB600 as well.
    They come "ready to go" as the name suggests right out of the packet and so far with recharging done from totally flat mostly they have provided excellent service.
    Price wise, about $22.00 for 4 from memory, we will be buying another 2 sets this week and they last for 100's of discharges before recharging is needed.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looove Eneloops (by Sanyo) - they keep their charge for up to 12 months. Pretty much all the ultra high capacity ones will be flat in a week or 2 after charging. The Eneloops I have are 2000mAh, I think thats pretty standard. The great thing is I can leave them in my bag and several months later they are ready to use. Fully charged 2000 mAh is much more useful than dead flat 2700 IMHO.

I use slow charger as you get a LOT more cycles out of a set of batteries that way. ALL fast chargers make the batteries hot and heat kills batteries, I have had brand name ones die in under 10 cycles. I have had some snazzy chargers and they are gathering dust, the cheap Eneloop or Energiser 8-12 hour chargers work well and look after your batteries.

Instead of buying an expensive charger buy one extra set of Eneloops and you'll always have some charged batteries available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Sony Eneloops in the K100d, they last a lot longer than my Vitara 2100 Mha and are only 2000 Mha.

I'm not sure if it would be the same for Flashes as Cameras?

Cheers Pete
    Peter

am wanting to learn, please feel free to rework my photos

Pentax K7 / Cosina 24mm f 2.8 mc / Pentax M 50mm f 1.4/ SMC Tokina M 135mm F2.8/ Pentax 17-70mm F4.0/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ############## View Post
    Pretty much all the ultra high capacity ones will be flat in a week or 2 after charging.
    I can guarantee my PowerEx 2700's don't go flat that quick...I shot a wedding on the gold coast almost two weeks ago and used a bit of flash at the reception and they're still going fine as of last night...

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ############## View Post
    I use slow charger as you get a LOT more cycles out of a set of batteries that way. ALL*# fast chargers make the batteries hot and heat kills batteries, I have had brand name ones die in under 10 cycles. I have had some snazzy chargers and they are gathering dust, the cheap Eneloop or Energiser 8-12 hour chargers work well and look after your batteries.
    *#That's only true for cheap fast chargers.

A MaHa C9000 charges and discharges, cycles etc. It is a true battery management system.

Fast chargers are fine ... IF they cut out before overheating or overcharging.
    The C9000 is very good at that; the cells are never hot only a little warm (normal) after charging.

The C9000 lets you fully program the charge rate. So you can do a 1/10th C slow or 1/2 or higher C fast charge.
    Either way the C9000 will not overcharge or overheat your cells.

Do some research. Google: Maha c9000 review

I know I sound like an advert but I have had significant experience with rechargeable battery technologies in various applications over the last 20 or so years. (RC aircraft; portable radio and computer gear (warehousing application); computer UPS etc).
    I know what works; also what is myth and fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Sanyo 2700mAh NiMH have given me the best performance from all the different brands I have tried so far and have stuck with those ever since.. highly recommended!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbphotographytas View Post
    These are what I use in all my gear (I have 16 of them)
    http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/con...a-consumer.com

I have the 2100mAh ones and have had no issues.
    We use these in our underwater strobes 4x in each usually last a full day shooting

which can be as much as 10 hours if on the livaboard boat
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting ... Both Exceeded labelled capacity
    http://www.rechargeable-battery-revi...rformance.html

Powerex NiMH 2700 2734.4 101.27% 3.43
    Sanyo NiMH 2500 2539.52 101.58% 3.13

And on the low self discharge...
    http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php...rmance-review/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Varta Brand - available from Bunnings - in my strobe for my underwater photography and have found they are absolutely fabulous.

So far in over 12 months approx 40 dives taking up to 100 photos a dive using the strobe every shot I have only charged them twice, once when I got them and once a few months ago and will probably recharge them just before my trip to Phuket in Oct.

I also use them in my Speedlite 460 strobe for Canon 450D - but haven't used it that much yet to make a comment on and I use them in other devices such as MP3 player etc.

Karl
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Canon G12 in a Recsea housing with twin YS110 Alpha strobes
    Canon 7D with Sigma 18 - 250mm & 170 - 500mm lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maha Powerex's are the best. I use these for my Speedlites. I use Maha Imedions for my battery packs.

Duracell 2650 are also very good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Interesting ... Both Exceeded labelled capacity
    http://www.rechargeable-battery-revi...rformance.html

Powerex NiMH 2700 2734.4 101.27% 3.43
    Sanyo NiMH 2500 2539.52 101.58% 3.13

And on the low self discharge...
    http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php...rmance-review/
    RE: first link - Pity they didn't test Eneloops...

From the 2nd page : Update: Anders has noted that the eneloop graph is not correct. To see a more comparable graph, see the eneloop tests by Silverfox.

The claim that Eneloops don't come with a battery holder is also incorrect - not sure about the twin packs, but the 4 packs come with a nice little holder. I don't sell batteries or have any connection with any battery co... unlike servaas lol
    Last edited by imagemelbourne; 20-08-2009 at 10:18am. Reason: removed comment from quote box

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast