User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rechargable Batteries AA - what to look for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rechargable Batteries AA - what to look for?

What are the best kind of batteries for Canon 580EXII flashes?

2500's Energisers?

Canon 5D Mark II, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Pack off them.

2450mHa if i remember correctly, the went lasted over a week just sitting in the flash and around 1000 Shots

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=24359

I would stay away from Energisers.

Talk to Jeff here: http://servaas.com.au/

Maha Powerex 2700mAh NiMh AA rechargeable Batteries or
    Powerex Imedion 2100mAh AA rechargeable Batteries (low discharge = long shelf life with near full charge)

Add in a Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Battery Charger & Analyzer and you will never have AA troubles again.

I have a C9000 and Powerex for my flash.
    I also have some Sanyo Eneloops (low discharge) which are very good.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are what I use in all my gear (I have 16 of them)
    http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/con...a-consumer.com

I have the 2100mAh ones and have had no issues.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO NOT buy Energizers. They do not hold their charge and will die rather quickly.

Get Sanyo Eneloops or Powerex Imideons. Both are slow discharge type NiMH batteries. i.e. they'll hold 80% charge after a year, so they're always ready when you need them. They go for about $20/4 AAs but are totally worth it.

On top of that, get an intelligent charger - something like a Maha C9000, you can dial in a slow charge and they shutoff based on charge, time and temp. as opposed to generic timed chargers that tend to overcharge your batteries and thus shorten their life.

All of these can be got from www.servaas.com.au (great guys btw), or the Sanyo batteries are also available from Dick Smith stores.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Dave said what I said.

I totally agree!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave wins the jackpot

There are a couple of features that are noteworthy:
    1) Capacity (expressed in mAh)
    2) Voltage (in V)
    3) Internal resistance (in Ohm)

You can compare capacity with the contents of the fueltank in your car. If you always floor it, the tank will be empty pretty quickly. If you drive as if you're on eggs, its contents brings you a lot further. For a flash, capacity translates to the number of shots you can fire before the batteries are depleted. There is one problem though: self-discharge. It's as if there are holes in the fueltank; after a week, you've lost a couple of liters, no matter if you drive it or not. That happens with rechargeable batteries too: if you load them, than store them a long time before actually using them, you won't be able to use the flash as often anymore.

Voltage doesn't really matter very much for a flash - it's current that is important. The current the batteries deliver determines how fast your flash recycles. Current = voltage / resistance. Now, all NiMH batteries use a voltage of 1.2V. Most non-rechargeable batteries provide 1.5V. However, the internal resistance of NiMH batteries is lower (especially when not completely full anymore), making them the better choice for your flash.

In the end, Eneloops are a great choice; they just are not available in capacities > 2000 mAh as far as I know. If you use the flash regularly and use batteries in one go until they're flat, a standard NiMH battery just might do better (there are some out there that go up to 3200 mAh or so). However, if you use the flash for a couple of shots and than put it away for a couple of weeks before using it again, Eneloops definitely are the better choice.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this, I have had loads of trouble with rechargables, so I will try these.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdeGroot View Post
    DO NOT buy Energizers. They do not hold their charge and will die rather quickly.

Get Sanyo Eneloops or Powerex Imideons. Both are slow discharge type NiMH batteries. i.e. they'll hold 80% charge after a year, so they're always ready when you need them. They go for about $20/4 AAs but are totally worth it.

On top of that, get an intelligent charger - something like a Maha C9000, you can dial in a slow charge and they shutoff based on charge, time and temp. as opposed to generic timed chargers that tend to overcharge your batteries and thus shorten their life.

All of these can be got from www.servaas.com.au (great guys btw), or the Sanyo batteries are also available from Dick Smith stores.
    Agreed. I have 16 Eneloops and they work fantastically on the 430-EX, Wii Controllers, my GPS etc etc. We even use them on the doorbell.

I get far better results from them with on the flashgun than with standard NiMH's and I'd say they are just as good as alkalines. At least the huge cost and evironmental saving is worth it. Nonrechargable batteries are disgusting things.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbphotographytas View Post
    These are what I use in all my gear (I have 16 of them)
    http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/con...a-consumer.com

I have the 2100mAh ones and have had no issues.
    We use these in our underwater strobes 4x in each usually last a full day shooting

which can be as much as 10 hours if on the livaboard boat
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting ... Both Exceeded labelled capacity
    http://www.rechargeable-battery-revi...rformance.html

Powerex NiMH 2700 2734.4 101.27% 3.43
    Sanyo NiMH 2500 2539.52 101.58% 3.13

And on the low self discharge...
    http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php...rmance-review/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash batteries

Hey guys,

I got a FL50R Flash (olympus) and was having a problem with the rechargeable batteries, i had 2000mhz Duracel rechargable batterys (NiMH). After the first charge i put them in, and they died within seconds... I then chucked them back in the charger, charged until it said it was ready by the led's and tryed them again. Same thing happened, i spoke to the guy at jbhifi and he said try charguing them for around 4 hours (it was a 30minute charger). Tryed again and died straight away so i took them back and have just been using Alkaline for a while which will get upto 500 flashes. Has anyone else ever experienced this with there flashes? Should i try a different brand with a higher Mh?

Also i checked the flash booklet and it states they can use NiMH Batterys?..

Thanks, Luke
    Olympus E3 \ 12-60mm f2.8-4 \ 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 \ FL50R flash \ SLIK Pro700DX \ Manfrotto 222 joystick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukiez View Post
    Hey guys,

I got a FL50R Flash (olympus) and was having a problem with the rechargeable batteries, i had 2000mhz Duracel rechargable batterys (NiMH). After the first charge i put them in, and they died within seconds... I then chucked them back in the charger, charged until it said it was ready by the led's and tryed them again. Same thing happened, i spoke to the guy at jbhifi and he said try charguing them for around 4 hours (it was a 30minute charger). Tryed again and died straight away so i took them back and have just been using Alkaline for a while which will get upto 500 flashes. Has anyone else ever experienced this with there flashes? Should i try a different brand with a higher Mh?

Also i checked the flash booklet and it states they can use NiMH Batterys?..

Thanks, Luke
    Luke perhaps grab a different brand? I have a pair of eneloops (bought them for when I hired a flash) and they worked a treat, from the number of people here who recommended (and other forums) I say you couldn't go wrong with a set of them. They aren't super expensive either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after reading everyones reviews i am going to purchase some eneloops like you suggested aswell mikec.. thanks fingers crossed its not my flash

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after reading everyones reviews i am going to purchase some eneloops like you suggested aswell mikec.. thanks fingers crossed its not my flash
    Don't underestimate the value of a good charger. The cheap fast chargers will kill your cells!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing me to this thread Kym missed it when searching ... i just went to dicksmith and got Eneloops and they came with a charger, will that charger be okay for these batterys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing me to this thread Kym missed it when searching ... i just went to dicksmith and got Eneloops and they came with a charger, will that charger be okay for these batterys?
    The Sanyo plug-in-wall charger that would have came with your Eneloops is a slow charger mate. it will take up to 12 hours to fully charge your batteries.

I use Eneloops and they are great batteries, so youll wanna look after them, and keep them conditioned for longer lasting life .. I have this Maha 8 Cell Charger .. fantastic unit
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A battery manager is the answer. See above posts. The C9000 is one of the best and affordable. I have one. The Sanyo charger is just ok.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    A battery manager is the answer. See above posts. The C9000 is one of the best and affordable. I have one. The Sanyo charger is just ok.
    I'll second that, I just bought a MH-C9000 after reading this thread and it is brilliant. All of a sudden I know what my batteries are doing rather than just guessing with a quick charger.

Go buy one, you won't look back.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add to that, thanks to Dave and Kym for your posts in this thread. I love my new charger!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast