User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: off camera flash - I know nothing!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

off camera flash - I know nothing!!!

So, how do I do it? And what do I need to get? Whatever I need to get, can I get a cheap version off ebay? Is this where 'hot shoe' something comes into it? See, I really have no idea, I'm just a bit fascinated thats all. I have a sigma 530 ST flash that I have only ever used on my camera before... Would like to try more portrait stuff eventually so I guess I'll need to know about this kind of stuff

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Ellen
    Pentax K10D, the newest baby
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Sigma 70-300mm
    Pentax 50mm f1.4
    Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash
    Whats next????

Please CC my photos, and edit where you want! Got lots to learn so please pass on instructions....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ellen,

Do yourself a favour and have a look at the Strobist website, particularly lighting 101

http://strobist.com
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

The info there will keep you busy for ages
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ellen,
    There's a few ways you can go about off camera flash.

Wireless P-TTL.
    Your camera body fires pre-flashes/infrared (not sure how pentx does it) and such to relay info to the flash for the correct exposure.

Wired TTL.
    This is similar to the wireless system except there's no pre-flashes as all the TTL info is relayed through the off camera flash cord.

Wireless full manual.
    Using radio frequency transmitter on your camera body and a receiver for your flash. It will only trigger the flash. Flash power settings & camera setup etc are all up to you.

Bigger the light source, softer the shadows.

I just bought this
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RF602-RF-602-...4.c0.m14.l1262

to try it out. Hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you know if it's worth it.
    You can get a single kit with a transmitter + receiver for $50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehor View Post

I just bought this
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RF602-RF-602-...4.c0.m14.l1262

to try it out. Hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you know if it's worth it.
    You can get a single kit with a transmitter + receiver for $50.
    I would be interested in seeing how good it is. I bought one a couple of weeks ago, not that model, but a cheaper version and it was a bit "hit and miss" with the firing of it.

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a wireless cheap one a few weeks ago and then discovered it didn't really want to work with the 430EXII :/ Looks like I'm going to have to actually get the more expensive Canon one or find another brand that does work with it
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miaow View Post
    I got a wireless cheap one a few weeks ago and then discovered it didn't really want to work.....
    There are some things I think you have to buy made by the original manufacturer and I think a decent flash unit is one of those.
    I bought a speedlight some time ago. Although I couldn't really afford it at the time I've never regretted the purchase. It works first time every time. I use it with an extension cable and as a wireless unit along with my D300 in Flash Commander mode and it works great. Recently I bought another second hand unit and between the two the results are fantastic. No problems, no fuss they simply just work.

Chook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings all,
    First time poster.

I have a number of RF-04's and RF-616 and recently bought 2 YN0460 flashes to compliment my sb600. I have hot shoe receivers for all of them. I also have a remote trigger for my D80 but the trigger doesnt activate the transmitter hotshoe attached to the camera. So my question is I guess, does a remote operate the camera in its full capacity like pressing the button on the camera itself does? The remote trigger activates the auto focus but wont fire the attached hotshoe tx. Am I missing a setting in the menu or is it just not doable in this manner without some more bits of kit?

Thanks

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fischer View Post
    I also have a remote trigger for my D80 but the trigger doesnt activate the transmitter hotshoe attached to the camera.
    Welcome to AP Adrian, and a quick question on this subject.

If you fit the SB600 directly to the camera, will it fire as per normal when using the remote release?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..its a miracle...

I hadnt tested the remote trigger with the sb600 attached to camera until you mentioned it. After some trouble with flat batteries it worked fine. Remote trigger operated the attached flash. So just to be sure I took the flash off and attached it to its remote receiver hotshoe and put the hotshoe transmitter back on the camera and lo and behold...it worked. I must have been doing something wrong before but now Im as happy as larry.

Had you not suggested the flash on camera test I would have assumed it just didnt work and not bothered again. Excellent result.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some RF-04 too and they only fire if I depress the shutter button itself. If I use the remote trigger for the camera, the RF-04 won't fire....