It's taken me a long time but I've finally found some gloves for when I'm taking photos in winter!

My requirements were:

1) to keep my hands/fingers warm before, during and after a winter photography session
2) to not necessarily be 'toasty', but to simply stave off the cold enough to allow flexibility in the fingers
3) to be thin enough to allow me to still feel the camera buttons/dials through the material
4) to be grippy enough that my fingers weren't sliding over buttons/dials when changing settings

Most gloves I had come across met the first two criteria, and a few met the third or fourth criteria. However none at all met all four....until today!!

I was down at one of the local camping stores and found these Brooks gloves. I thnk they are actually designed for runners, but they suit my needs perfectly.

If you look closely at the underside of the tip of the thumb and index finger you will see a white and a black dot respectively. Both dots are actually made of a thin rubber compund and are designed for operating ipods or other MP3 players. It's so simple, but really really effective as they still allow you to feel the camera controls through the material and are really grippy.

The other fantastic option is that the thumb has a 'fold over' type arrangement where you can actually peel the glove back over your thumb so that you can get full sensation if required.

About the only down side is the price. But as I hadn't seen anything that even came close to these I was happy to fork out the extra $10-20 or so.

Stoked!!!