I picked up this Hard Case - Pelican knock off up from Bunnings for $69.00.
There were a range of colours to chose from as long as you wanted Yellow.

The outside dimensions are 465mmx360mmx170mm making it roughly about the same size as the 1500 Pelican case.
The case is made from a 3-5mm thick Poly / plastic material which appears similar to that of the pelicans.

The inside dimensions are approx 425mmx290mmx160mm. (120mm base & 40mm lid)
The case comes with 40mm convoluted Foam for the lid and 30mm for the base and pick and pluck foam, the pick and pluck foam is in 2 layers of about 30mm thick, which will allow you store both thinner and thicker items by only removing one layer of the foam.

The lid has a rubber seal all round to provide the advertised water resistance and is also stated to be air tight and dust proof.

The lid has a positive detent on opening that requires a deliberate action to close, this stops the lid falling closed when it is wanted to stay open.
The hinges appear to be a stainless steel pin although I think that would actually only be a chrome / zinc plated steel
There is provision for padlocks to make the case secure
The latches whilst not a double action as on the Pelican are very sturdy and positive

The handle is a one piece moulded arrangement with a very positive hinge
There is also a threaded knob with an o'ring that seems similar to the Pressure Equalisation Valve advertised on the Pelicans

Whilst I am unable to comment first hand on the Pelican cases, this case provides good value for money for the average user.