Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

I recently published a review of the nifty fifty - the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens on my blog.

Great value for money, and a fun lens. Anyone with a Canon SLR should have a 50mm prime lens (f/1.8, or if your budget stretches a bit further, the f/1.4 or f/1.2L versions).

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate your effort in publishing the review and wholeheartedly agree with your viewpoint. That's a very useful resource for anyone contemplating the plastic fantastic (Nikon have a version as well, i understand). Makes me want to dig mine out and use it more than I do at the moment.

Thanks for the link.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep bought this one a couple of months ago, got a great deal, less than the ebay second hand price, brand new and local. Very happy with the results. And being so light it works great with extension tubes for anyone interested in macro
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 50mm f1.4 should be in everyone's kit.

It's a little more expensive than the f1.8 variant; but after testing and using both; the benefits are certainly there. So much so that I intend to keep the f1.4 version when I buy the f1.2L due to its small size and weight.

I completely understand that the f1.8 is in everyones price range; but when it comes to usability and quality, its lacking for what decent photography needs.

Canon 5d MKII w/ Grip - Canon 40d w/Grip - Canon 17-40 f4L - Canon 17-55 f2.8ISL - Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro - Canon 24-70 f2.8L - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - Canon 50mm f1.4 - Canon 85mm f1.8 - Canon 70-200 f2.8L - 580EXII - 580EX

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review - I think it is time to get me one of these, I went to get one about a month ago at three popular camera shops and were all sold out and said they are very popular. Must ry again.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twofruitz View Post
    I think the 50mm f1.4 should be in everyone's kit.

It's a little more expensive than the f1.8 variant; but after testing and using both; the benefits are certainly there. So much so that I intend to keep the f1.4 version when I buy the f1.2L due to its small size and weight.

I completely understand that the f1.8 is in everyones price range; but when it comes to usability and quality, its lacking for what decent photography needs.
    I would like to hear your reasoning for why the F1.4 is much better than the F1.8, taking into account the price difference etc. As myself and other pros who work at Photographic Wholesalers tend to think otherwise, and we have all shot professional works and products with all of the versions ie. F1.2 L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm.. been contemplating on getting one of these but never got the chance to do so.. time to head of to the nearest camera shop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Draco-

I picked one up for 140.00 at Teds Camera Warehouse on Friday, tried it over the weekend and am very happy with the results.

I accept the 1.4 or 1.2 is probably going to be better but for an amateur with less demanding expectations the 1.8 II costs next to nothing and can be used as a backup lens in my kit (takes up very little space) even if I decide in the future that a 'better' lens is the go.
    Last edited by David; 03-08-2009 at 7:59am.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my nifty fifty last dec as a backup....it's now the lens I use 90% of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup i use one, great little lens, makes camera look a lot smaller though

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah the nifty 50 was my first lens (on a digital slr). It's served me well over the years but the slower and hunting focus and lack of distance scale, not to mention cheap build quality means it gets little use these days. I find 40mm or 70mm usually suffice, and only drag out the 50 where the narrow DoF or extra light is needed.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first lens of mine apart from the kit has been the nifty fifty. i use it 90% of the time too, and love it to bits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is actually a few review on the net comparing the 1.8 to 1.4 to 1.2.

Most will rate the 1.4 as the most bang for you bucks.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be getting a Canon 50mm 1.8 II for sure, I have read nothing but raving reports from people here & elsewhere so I think I am going to have to go out & get myself a nice lil' 'Nifty Fifty' to add to the collection!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna go pick one up tonight for father's day. Should be good
    NIGH -KON

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got mine, and had my first experience with F1.8 in a dimly lit church for a wedding rehersal Friday night. WOW! the large appature opens up a whole new world for me to play in!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh i own the 50 1.8 love it on my 5d mkII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tested the new 50mm and Canon 40D. Great lil combo, except the plastic make is a bit of a let down.

Nonetheless, great pics, sharp and beautiful bokeh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon must be pleased with the sales of this lens, I purchased one last Tuesday & am quite happy with it.
    One thing I noticed, after using zooms exclusively for a few years a fixed focal length lens sure makes you walk around a lot more.
    John.

Canon EOS 50D
    Panasonic Lumix TZ10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the f/1.4 worth the extra coin...??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast