Thread: Self Portrait - Viva Le Tour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Self Portrait - Viva Le Tour

Its been a month of late nights for me watching the Tour De France. So I wanted to pay tribute to the great race.

Was also a good reason to have a go at a seamless white background.

More info on the shots at my blog thephotojourney.com

Strobist Info

Canon 430ex behind subject
    Full Power with Yogurt diffuser mod
    f5.6 @ 1/200th, ISO800

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics Scottie - the only thing I think with the lighting is that it makes it seem (in 1 and 3) at first glance that your arms/albows are cut off on the bottoms of them cause of the slight overexposure?
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Cat on the blown highlights, but otherwise I think the concept and execution is pretty good. The pose in the first and last shots is something different, and (particularly in #1) you've controlled the focus and DOF well.

In the second shot, the reflection in your sunnies has me squinting to figure out what the bits and pieces in the room are!
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the overexposure is due to the flash behind me being a little low. I will move it up to more middle height next shoot.

Jules the reflection in the 2nd one shows me reaching out with my left arm to fire the shot with my remote cable. Also shows my Soccer bag hot water system and my 15 ways ladder that I use a bit in my other shoots down in the garage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by go_scottie View Post
    ...Jules the reflection in the 2nd one shows me reaching out with my left arm to fire the shot with my remote cable. Also shows my Soccer bag hot water system and my 15 ways ladder that I use a bit in my other shoots down in the garage.
    Aaah, thanks. I can stop wondering!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd be great if you had mud splashed all over your face and sunnies. You look a little too clean compared to the in your face wheel. In the first photo anyhow.

I think the blown highlights would fit, if there was mud and grit everywhere. Perhaps add some body armour?

Otherwise, tone down those side lights and clean up the front tyre.

Great idea.