Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Travel in New Zealand - Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel in New Zealand - Help!

Hi All,

I wanted to get some advice as I am travelling to NZ for three weeks in Feb and I am not sure what lenses to take and what to leave at home.

I love wildlife and macro but I also know that the scenery in NZ is amazing. I will be hiking a lot or on bike with the tour and visiting the North and South Island. I am purchasing a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 12MP for the shots of white water rafting etc, so that stuff is covered.

I have a Canon 50D and the lenses I have are below. Is there anything you would recommend that you have travelled with that is worth getting?

Cheers
    If you change my photos please let me know how what you did, cheers

Canon 5D II* Canon 50D * Canon 50mm* Sigma 30mm * Canon 17-85mm * Canon 100mm* Sigma 10-20mm * Canon 24-70mm * Canon 70-200mm * Canon 85mm

http://wilddawnphotography.zenfolio.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I have just returned from 3 weeks in NZ - I was mainly into landscapes and stuff but tried to get some good wildlife shots etc. I rarely took my 17-70 off. So definitely definitely take your 17-85, and a zoom would be good but wouldnt your 50-500 be a bit heavy to take? I took everything I had (dont have much lol) and maybe used my 70-300 2 or 3 times. I used my 50mm prime once. I didnt use my external flash at all, though I popped up my on board more than I expected.

Have a great time!

edited to add - If your into macro then I would take your 100mm. You'll be spewing if you see something awesome and left that behind. 50-500 sounds like too much effort to me. Maybe worth purchasing a cheaper zoom thats easier to take around?
    Ellen
    Pentax K10D, the newest baby
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Sigma 70-300mm
    Pentax 50mm f1.4
    Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash
    Whats next????

Please CC my photos, and edit where you want! Got lots to learn so please pass on instructions....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came back in April. I am big into wildlife but over there (South Island) it was bare. We saw so little wildlife it was sad.

I would highly consider taking a tripod. I think they are invaluable. I did the majority of the whole trip with only an ultra wide and got by fine. Some shots were a compromise, but I think a typical standard lens would do.

If you want some ideas of places to go Ive recently being compiling on my blog some shots i took. There are only a few days left to add, Milford Sound, Lake Tekapo (two of my better days and thus taking longer to edit).
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of going in late September, Flight Centre have 7 days motohome hire (start and end Christchurch) for $555 from Brisbane. So would people advise, if I go, should I take 24-70/19-35 and maybe 70-200. I'll have the 100-400 by then, take or leave?
    Tripod and monopod?

I thought spring sahould be good weatherwise (I hope) and it fits into employer's break time so I can get the days off easily.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a 3 week work/holiday trip to NZ about two years ago & picked up the Pentax 10KD on leaving. I took a Pentax F f50 1:1.7 prime for low light. A 70-210 Tokina manual focus zoom & of course the 18-55 kit.

I only used the kit lens.

Now, I would still take the above and be a bit more adventurous & include the 10-20 Sigma + tripod.

These Gorilla Pods might be a huge spacesaver??? Anyone tried one?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one but have only used it twice, once as a normal tripod, standing on the car bonnet, and once on a railing. They are a handy thing to have in the bag and take up little room. Mine is an Aldi knock-off brand.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thank you for the help.

I think I will take my kit lens and my macro, and maybe the 30mm (it is light after all)

I am currently drooling over these! www.trek-tech.com

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd second the tripod suggestion and also consider a Cokin P series Grad ND kit for your landscape stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent 4 weeks roaming around there in a motorhome, great thing to do, the scenery is awesome, both close and distant. Had my 50D with 15=85 which is a superb lens similar to your 17-85 I suggest that you take your 70-200 for the mountain stuff, you won't regret it. ENJOY