Thread: My prints turned out dark.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prints turned out dark.

I got a spyder 3 pro and calibrated my monitor and sent some pictures of to be printed at digital works. Overall they look great, the colours are spot on etc. Only thing is some of them turned out to be quite a bit darker than they appear on my screen, even with the brightness setting turned right down to 0 and after numerous re-cals.

What can I do to fix this? The monitor is nothing special, it's a Hanns G 22" lcd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before trying anything else or reaching conclusions, just go to another printing place and do some test prints tomorrow

print quality and colours and settings always vary between printers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh... I use my laptop for most of my processing. But I have a Hanns G 22inch HD monitor as well and the darkness and colour looks alot different from the laptop screen (I use a spyder 2). I don't like it at all and am about to upgrade as soon as I can find another moniter I like. I think it is just the brand.... mine was pretty cheap I think around $250 for HDMI input 2 years ago
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea I might fire up my lappy right now and see if the screen looks any different on that.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried to calibrate to match but I can't get anywhere near the same result. I would be interested to see what you reckon.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you using the same profile as your lab? that would be the first step.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check what gamma setting on your monitor you calibrate to (if it has that option), that turned out to be a problem for me, and ditto with checking the lab profile.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just tried the laptop, the picture on the screen was still quite a bit brighter than the print even with the brightness down as low as it would go.

The colour space is set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as suggested on the digital works website. The colours are correct the prints just look a little under exposed.