Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review : Nikkor AF-S 600mm f/4 G VR

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post

Mongo is working on getting a new boby in the near future.
    What kind a new body are you looking for, Mongo ?
    I'm currently looking for a used D2X (or D2Xs) for its 2x crop mode, so I won't need to stack converters anymore...

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sar,
    Mongo knows you get amazing results from your current camera bodies (D2 or D2H??). Mongo did not know that there was a x2 crop camera which you say is the D2x. Mongo would be interested in a camera that gives your results and he would imagine it might cost $1200 to $1800. However, sensors and technology are changing so much and so fast , Mongo thinks it might be best to spend his money on a D700 – but more likely its replacement model when it comes out at some time in the near future or even lash out for a D3s for its high ISO qualities. Not sure which way to go just yet but all will become clearer at the right time.

BTW – what size file do you get with the D2Xs you want to buy when used in x2 crop factor ??
    Nikon and Pentax user

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post

BTW – what size file do you get with the D2Xs you want to buy when used in x2 crop factor ??
    Mongo, the D2X(s) is the best pro DX body Nikon has ever made. Its 2x crop feature gives you a very high quality 6.8mpx file. This is a 100 ISO native sensor and IMHO is the sharpest and finest Nikon camera (at its native sensitivity).
    I have used sevral times a D2Xs of one of my uncles and am really impressed by the IQ of this camera (far better than the D700 or the D300s I have used).

There is a D2X second hand for sale at European Camera for $995, but with 150,000 actuations !
    I know this kind of shutter counts is quite normal for a pro body (one of my D2Hs has 120,000 actuations and still works perfectly like the first day !!!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think the d2x is 1.5 crop isn't it ?

Sar, do you know steve aka avcomp?

He had a d2x for a long time and tested it extensively alongside a d3 and eventually and exhaustively settled on the d3 despite losing the crop, I helped with some tests as I had a d300 and d3 at the time

Anyhow, to summarise his findings, The d2x iq is as good and with the crop if required better to iso400 but from that point on the d3 was significantly better.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar NOP View Post
    There is a D2X second hand for sale at European Camera for $995, but with 150,000 actuations !
    I know this kind of shutter counts is quite normal for a pro body (one of my D2Hs has 120,000 actuations and still works perfectly like the first day !!!).
    That seems about par for the course. They pop up on ebay every couple of weeks or so, and 100k activations seem to get about $1000-$1200. 10k or less (yes, they have appeared) - up around $1800-$2000.

Kiwi - the d3 may well be great, but is still a couple of grand more than the d2x.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D2xs sounds very impressive and Mongo is surprised he did not know about these qualities about it.

However, there are a few things which make Mongo hesitate about getting one. First, it is an older camera and unlikely to be found in reasonably newish condition. Secondly, if KIWI is correct, the good usable ISO is too low at 400 for it to overcome Mongo’s problem i.e. to achieve higher shutter speeds. At the moment Mongo uses 400 ISO and 800 when desperate. The D2xs does to appear to improve this position.

Nonetheless, Mongo is going to read up on them and find out more.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser kmaisch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crikey, that's a mother of a lens!!
    Free Camera Classifieds » http://www.cameramarket.com.au | Photography » http://www.kmaisch.com

50% Discount for Camera Market Feature Ads - use Club Code ausphotography50.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I actually think the d2x is 1.5 crop isn't it ?

Sar, do you know steve aka avcomp?

He had a d2x for a long time and tested it extensively alongside a d3 and eventually and exhaustively settled on the d3 despite losing the crop, I helped with some tests as I had a d300 and d3 at the time

Anyhow, to summarise his findings, The d2x iq is as good and with the crop if required better to iso400 but from that point on the d3 was significantly better.
    Yep, the D2X is a 1.5x crop body with 12.4mpx. It has as well a 2x crop mode with 6.8mpx.
    Naturally, in high ISO the D2X cannot be compared to the modern bodies, but in native sensitivity (100 ISO) it's the sharpest and finest sensor Nikon has ever made.
    For my birding, it will be very interesting to shoot with the D2X's 2x crop mode with my 600 VR (1200mm/4 equivalent !) at 100 ISO to get the finest detail of my subject. And the 6.8mpx NEF file will be more than enough for my need.
    For high ISO and high speed shooting, I still can use my D2Hs...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo has a good look on the net today to try and find some D2xs bodies for sale and other general info. Not easy to find and very and quite rare.

They do have as much as a X2 crop (6.8 meg) which is more than enough for a good image. No full frame though. Its write ups and sensor are quite renowned. Good to 400 ISO and as high as 800 with very little noticeable noise. IQ from this sensor is apparently superb. Cost between $1000 and $1600.

Thanks Sar for putting us on to this – Mongo may well consider buying this instead if Mongo gets to try it first and is happy with it.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo - I believe the d2x can be made into the d2xs with a firmware upgrade - so include those in your search. Someone on the forum here advised that you need to watch out for old batteries. The replacements are not cheap, especially if you go for Nikon originals. Also, make sure it comes with a charger. Otherwise, the $1500 camera can easily become the $2000 camera.

BTW, There's a d2x going on ebay at the moment here.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. However, Mongo thinks there is a little more than software to convert the D2x to a D2xs. There are some physical changes within the body. Also the sensor seems a fraction larger. Very good idea re the batteries and charger . Although, Mongo has an extra after market battery for his D200 that is every bit as good as the factory original.

If Mongo gets one it will be the D2xs original body or not at all. All the help has been much appreciated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon website and dpreview suggest sensor is the same. However, the LCD is improved, and some viewfinder tweaks for the high speed crop mode. Your mileage may vary (or finances allow) but I'll settle for either one and get the firmware update - this appears to be where the most significant image/functionality changes have occurred (ref. here). (Given it holds it's value well, you could resell - and if you sell at a discount, I could buy)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have got Mongo doing the run around now Rob. At this rate you will not know what you might end up with.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still trying to convince one of my uncles to sell me his superb D2Xs with less than 4,000 actuations !!!
    He should buy a D3000 instead because what he can do is shooting in Program Mode and JPEG small ! Anyway the D2 body is too heavy for him...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cute scene from this morning :

D2Hs, 600 VR+TC-14EII, 1/640", f/8, 200 ISO, Monopod.
    Cheers
    Sar

D2Hs, D2Hs, D2X, D7000, D800 | AF-S 14-24/2.8 | AF-S 18-300 DX | AF-S 24-70/2.8 | AI-S 50/1.8 | AI-S 105/2.5 | AI-S 105/4 Micro-Nikkor | AF-S 85/1.4 G | AI-S 50-300/4.5 ED | AI-S 180/2.8 ED | AI 80-200/4.5N | AF-S 200-400/4 VR | AF-S 600/4 VR | TC-14EII, TC-17EII, TC-20EIII, Kenko 2x | SB-800+Better Beamer | Tripod Dutch Hill+Dietmar Nill Head

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another great photo Sar NOP. You continue to show that "more pixels" is nowhere near as important as "good photographer". (Also, the crispness and clarity of that lens with the TC is pretty impressive.)

Good luck with your uncle!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two more photos from yesterday with the combo 600 VR+TC-14EII :

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar NOP View Post
    I'm still trying to convince one of my uncles to sell me his superb D2Xs with less than 4,000 actuations !!!
    He should buy a D3000 instead because what he can do is shooting in Program Mode and JPEG small ! Anyway the D2 body is too heavy for him...
    consider buying him the D3000 and let him use it for a little while. He is more likely to just send you back the D2xs instead with any luck. Having researched a little more on this camera, it seems to have outstanding qualities - even better than a D3 up to a point.

Mongo likes your latest captures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the off topic post, but I am looking for a more solid tripod for my 500/4... Just wondering what the tripod pictured in the earlier posts with the 600/4 VR mounted is?... and is it as solid as it looks?

Thanks
    Paul
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonUser View Post
    Sorry for the off topic post, but I am looking for a more solid tripod for my 500/4... Just wondering what the tripod pictured in the earlier posts with the 600/4 VR mounted is?... and is it as solid as it looks?

Thanks
    Paul
    Paul, the tripod I use for my 600 and 200-400 is the Dutch Hill P900, with Dietmar Nill head.
    This tool is the most robust and stable I've ever used. It's built like a tank !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast