Thread: Want hardcore constructive critique of a photo? Here is how to get it!

Administrator (Site Owner) ricktas's Avatar

Want hardcore constructive critique of a photo? Here is how to get it!

... Hardcore Critiquing on Ausphotography (HC)

Ausphotography members will at times want intense critiquing of a particular photo. When you want to be provided with some hardcore constructive critique of a photo, please set the HC smilie when you post the thread. This will be a signal to other members that you want intensive critique. Your thread is to be placed in the normal member photos forum relevant to the photo subject matter.

HC does not negate all other threads from critique. The only member photo forums that are not for critique are the Fun / Member challenges forums. HC is designed to compliment critique in other areas of the site, and it can also be used as an extensive learning tool if used correctly.

Rules to apply to hardcore constructive criticism.

1. When you create your new thread the first thing to appear in the post must be the HC smile (see example above)

2. All existing Ausphotography Site Rules apply.

3. A maximum of 3 photos to be presented per thread, as long as they are part of a series (ie. the same subject matter).

4. Each member is entitled to submit ONE thread with the HC smilie in a 24 hour period.

5. If you are willing to post an HC thread, you must be willing to accept the strong views and opinions of respondents.

6. Comments like ‘nice shot’ must not be posted alone, you must expand in detail as to why you perceive it to be a nice shot.

7. HC does not have to be picking a photo to pieces and highlighting all the negative aspects, it can equally be all about how great a photo is and why, in fact you should make sure the positives are highlighted.

8. Reworks are not permitted unless directly advised by the thread starter; reworks must contain detailed information on what processing was applied.

9. Any threads/posts that do not comply with the above will be removed.

10. The HC smilie is not to be included in members signatures. It is not a 'default' setting and as such must be applied to individual threads. Members who place it in their signature will have it removed.

How to add the HC smilie to your thread...

When you create a new thread, next to the text box are a series of smilies, choose the green HC one, before typing any text as it must appear first in your thread.
    This will mean that when your thread is viewed, other members will know you want hardcore constructive criticism
    is coded as :HardcoreCC:

If you want to improve your critiquing skills, cause you feel you may not be qualified to comment on the HC threads, check these out, then have a go:

Want a guide on how to critique other members photographs?
    Critiquing techniques for beginners : How to
    Composition guide

Can we add to the rules that the OP must provide some Background and provide some critique of their own. It only seems fair that if they want others to put some effort in the critique that they care enough to put some effort in their post as well...

I think this is a nice addition to the forum. Is there going to be a way to select the "HC" threads?
    ---- Moments of light ---- : S5pro D70 F601 - N35-70F2.8 N18-200VR N50ais S150mac N12-24 N18-70
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian, some people look at you funny but they do not see the glorious beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Administrator (Site Owner)
    Threadstarter
    We didnt want to force members to state anything in their threads, so we did not include any rules in relation to what the OP has to contribute. Most who will seek this sort of critique will also provide it back to others who use it as well.

No you will not be able to search on these threads, as it is just an Icon that we added to those already available to be tagged to threads.

But believe me, go to new posts, or a specific forum list and they stand out.
    RICK
    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

www.tassiephotos.com

gnarly dude!
    wicked arrow!

looks very tight and i lokk foward to hearing or rather reading some well thought out crits.

Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    gnarly dude!
    wicked arrow!

looks very tight and i lokk foward to hearing or rather reading some well thought out crits.
    LOL Ving

Great work Rick.
    CHEERS, GARY

Canon 450D,18-55mm,55-250mm,RC-5 Wireless Remote,Tripod,Assorted Filters,Lowepro CameraBag.

Feel free to Re-work my images, but please let me know what you did so i can learn to
    Constructive Critique Welcome

Check out my FLICKR

Threadstarter
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    gnarly dude!
    wicked arrow!

ha. Re the arrow. I created that at work and dont have PS on my work PC, but found it had an OEM copy of Paint Shop Pro (about version 7) and I used that to create my arrow. Was that a learning curve or what.

Threadstarter
    Quote Originally Posted by philwillmedia View Post
    Holy Hardcore Batman -
    No chance of missing that icon.
    I reckon this is a really good idea.
    Just to take it kinda one step further - is it possible to have it so that it can be set through the user CP by individuals to have it as their default setting or is that just not feasible.
    Just curious.
    Nah, cause its an icon in the create thread area, it cant be set in the usercp. This way members can chose individual threads they want it to apply to.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Phil, if you could pick it as a defauly icon then anywhere you posted would have it? ie off topic fun? not sure that would work? means people would then have to remeber to turn it off?
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

eh? so there are individuals phil, that shouldhave that for every single image they put up?

Threadstarter
    Have just been made aware if you use Adblocker on AP, the icon will not show as Adblocker thinks the icon is an Ad

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Have just been made aware if you use Adblocker on AP, the icon will not show as Adblocker thinks the icon is an Ad
    Only the HOW TO image (screen shot) - the icon is fine

Looking forward to it!
    thanks for putting this up
    Canon 5D MKII, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, 17mm TS-E f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L
    135mm f/2L.
    Alien bee lights, Gitzo tripods, Adobe CS5

I find the single most valuable tool on my computer is my recycle bin.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Everyone please note: the HC tag does not mean you cant be honest and direct in CCing any other image.

If you have something to say in a regular (non HC post) then say it. Don't hold back!

The only problem I can see is HC tagging a post to the FUN forum What the?

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    The only problem I can see is HC tagging a post to the FUN forum What the?
    thanks for the idea...

Be careful what you ask for ...kudos to the Mods and our fearless leader (Rick) for all the effort and patient 'let the punters have a say about this first' before we decide what to do approach///

Im NOT going to be the first brave soldier to whack up a HC on my images- But I am going to stretch the level of consciouss incompetence to the degree that I pick out what is wrong with the image for the veiwer as I see it even if I have no idea how to 'fix it' next time .

If Im asking for CC that teaches me something or adds to my knowledge base I should do more than just whack up an image and sit back waiting for others to point out what I already know and have been just too lazy/sloppy to address myself

Onwards and upwards AP
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 1Ds Mark ll Camera l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Benro A-357 Tripod + KB-1 Ball Head l Adobe Photoshop CS5 l Lightroom 3.0 l B @ W ND Filters and CPL l Hitech GND filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Threadstarter
    Updated first post in this thread, to reflect the new method of seeking HC, using the HC smilie within your thread, rather than the HC thread Icon