Thread: upon arrival

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

upon arrival

hi guys,

i've been taking heaps of photos at family parties since buying my DLSR, mostly indoors n in low light situations. i consider some of them to be keepers but most of them are questionable lol...

any tips on what i should do or look for when i first arrive in the field to help me adjust the camera setting accordingly?

hope i made some sense..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First trick. Your DSLR auto mode is quite clever at working out the settings. So take a shot on Auto, review it on the LCD and look at what settings the camera chose. Then swap to manual, set the camera to those settings and go from there. As it gets darker/lighter, you will need to compensate, and along the way learn what adjusting the settings does.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Rick said

I think it also comes down with how much notice you have to do a shot if need to shoot fast I tend to try and keep it at gatherings on AV - large appeture (smallest F setting like 4 I can go for the lens on and a sorta high ISO like 800 or 1600 if real dark to get more speed (i do try not to use flash if possible thought) but if too dark or subject is back lit then i will use flash
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams