Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Firefox Settings

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefox Settings

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh! I'm having a brain-dead day, and this issue has really started to annoy me!

I have been a fairly long-time user of Firefox. I generally keep it up-to-date, but I haven't yet updated to 3.5 - I'm currently on 3.0.11. I am getting a "Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page" on most forum pages in Ausphotography. I have pop-ups blocked - with exceptions (including Ausphotography - even though I don't think this is the issue).

What am I missing here? What else do I need to set so I don't get the constant redirection warnings?
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's weird.
    What plugins ?

I'm out this evening so maybe some other members can help you through this.

Back to Basics
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a heap of plugins!!

In looking up the plugins, I noticed I have a couple of extensions that aren't "turned on" because they're not compatible with the version I'm using - CA Link Advisor and CA Toolbar. I've had other problems with CA recently so I'm now wondering if this is my problem?!!!

(CA Internet Security Suite)

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the Flashgot plugin installed?
    If so, what version.

Tonight, FF updated flashgot(to v1.1.9.8) for me, nice and automagically, and FF seemed to stop working! then woudln't load anything.. no net pages, no local pages.. just sent the PC into a 100% CPU cycle frenzy, unless I manually stopped FF(via Task Manager).

Went into safe mode with no addons/plugins loaded and man'oman did it load fast!

Went back to the addon toolbar and onlyloaded the most important addons.
    ie. KusoExif viewer and Historgram Viewer

Working good, and so much faster now with fewer plugins installed.
    (I only have about 6 that load up, but they slow FF down a little).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Moderately Super
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheryl is there any reason you haven't updated to FF3.5 yet? Perhaps you could turn off all your plug-ins, update and then turn one back on at a time? Good luck with it all.
    Nikon F65, D50, D200, D700

Back to Basics
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur - No I don't have the Flashgot plugin installed, so that one is definitely not my problem.

Debra - No specific reason why I haven't upgraded to 3.5 as yet - just haven't got around to it. I will try turning all the plugins off and turning them back on one at a time as you suggested, but it's probably not going to be until the weekend now.

Thank you both for your help. I'll let you know how I go.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a side note to FF3.5 update.

with every other update to FF from v1pointsomethinginsignificant, up to v3.0.11 I've had the notification that a new version is ready to update too...

But not v3.5!? Update notifications turned on, but I stil had to manually check for new versions/updates or whatever in the about menu!
    I found that weird. Any reason for that.
    Has anyone got the update notification for v3.5?
    Are there any unresolved issues remaining?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CherylB: It may be the banner ads on Ausphotography. When I turn my ad blocker off and hit AP, I get the messages. My solution is to leave ad blocking on. (Sorry Rick )

AK: Re 3.5 upgrade - the Mozilla website is saying they are not forcing the upgrade yet. I think this is due to bandwidth issues. (I upgraded yesterday - seems to run without problems)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
    CherylB: It may be the banner ads on Ausphotography. When I turn my ad blocker off and hit AP, I get the messages. My solution is to leave ad blocking on. (Sorry Rick )

AK: Re 3.5 upgrade - the Mozilla website is saying they are not forcing the upgrade yet. I think this is due to bandwidth issues. (I upgraded yesterday - seems to run without problems)
    Bingo!

We moved the AP ad images off to an alternate location last week to save primary site bandwidth. (and I normally had Ad Block Plus turned on)

Also: 3.5 is an optional update. 3.0.xx will be supported for some months. So it will get security fixes if needed.

Thanks Rob!

Back to Basics
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post

AHA! Thanks Rob - that would definitely explain it!!!