Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sony NEX 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sony NEX 5

hi there
    just wonder about the NEX5 i like it for the HD video, panoramic sweep, compact size etc etc etc but now concerned about the horseshoe thing i've seen people talk about on other threads? does this mean there is no inbuilt flash? i notice in the kit it includes a flash thing so i now assume i would have to attach this in situations when i needed a flash.

thanks
    Last edited by meegeemoments; 29-08-2010 at 11:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's 100% correct ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just purchased a NEX 5 as my carry around camera. Its great and with the APS-c sensor is a good alternative to DSLR in many situations. As for the flash unit I leave it on the camera all the time and simply flip it up when I want to use it. This way it is virtually a built in flash. Roger

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi roger
    excuse my ignorance, still learning all the lingo but what's the APS-c sensor?
    originally i was looking at the NEX5 but now thinking of just the NEX3 as i'm told that's the only difference between the 2 is the NEX5 does better HD video? i've already got a video camera and thinking it's probably better just to carry that around instead of getting a camera that does it?
    what were your reasons for teh NEX 5?
    thank
    megan

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger, does it have shutter lag or is it instant activation?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    APS-C sensor is the larger size sensor used in most DSLRs except for the more expensive models that have full size sensors (ie same size as 35mm film). Most point and shoot cameras have very small sensors - the larger sensors give a much better quality image with less noise.

I chose the NEX 5 over the NEX 3 because it had a better feel (easier to grip), it has a metal case and the HD video. Each of these reasons are only minor but so is the price difference between the two models.

There is no perceivable shutter lag with the NEX 5 unlike earlier point and shoot cameras.
    Last edited by Rsev; 31-08-2010 at 8:03pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an NEX-5.

The only difference between the 5 and the 3 is the alloy body, and the HD video. Thats it. The ergonomics are slightly different, but not much.

There is no built in flash but it comes with an attachment flash which attaches nicely to the camera. You can leave it on or take it off .. either or ... up to you.

There is no shutter lag on this camera. It fires instantly.

I have a full frame A850, and find it cumbersome to travel with. I also have a JVC HDD camcorder.

Im off to Europe in 8 weeks and I wont be taking either. The NEX-5 will be the only camera coming with me.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im off to Europe in 8 weeks and I wont be taking either. The NEX-5 will be the only camera coming with me.
    I reckon u might regret that Darren

I would just bring the DSLR too, as there will be a lot of moments where you wish you had it with you. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and and not have it blah blah blah

Im coming home tomorrow after 2 weeks in Mongolia in the Gobi desert and grasslands and mountains, and 1 week in China - around the cities in China I was using the EP1 PEN most of the time, and in the wild it was the 5D2.........as much as the EP1 or NX5 is good for a lot of things, it just cannot replace or do things a DSLR can.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fair point Jackie, and I agree with you about the limitations ... but Im purposely leaving it behind so that the photography doesnt take over the enjoyment of the actual trip. Im approaching this one purely as a happy snapper ...

It is my honeymoon and when Ive got the big camera in my hands Bella tends to spend a lot of time loitering around footpaths about 10 metres in front of me shaking her head ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    fair point Jackie, and I agree with you about the limitations ... but Im purposely leaving it behind so that the photography doesnt take over the enjoyment of the actual trip. Im approaching this one purely as a happy snapper ...

It is my honeymoon and when Ive got the big camera in my hands Bella tends to spend a lot of time loitering around footpaths about 10 metres in front of me shaking her head ...
    AHHHHHHH! Now I get ya, honeymoon!

Of course, no serious photography there!

happy days in Europe for sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although .... Things may change if I press the go button on a CZ 16-35 in the meantime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the question is - what do you want to do with it? Do you have a lot of cash invested in any other DLSR stuff? If not, there are a range of other cameras. I have an A900 and a 20-70 Zeiss lens which weigh fair bit. But I ended up buying an E-PL1 as a travel camera because it had a built in flash and image stabilisation built into the body. The NEX-5 has the flash attachment but the IS is in the lens. Because both the NEX and PEN cameras have no mirrors, a lot of old lenses can be used with adaptors fairly easily. I use an old Canon FD 50mm 1.4 lens on mine to great effect.

Anyway, I went overseas recently and took both the A900 and the E-PL1. While the E-PL1 took generally great pics, there are a number of captures I wished I'd done on the A900. Bottom line - if you can afford only 1 camera I'd be inclined to try and find a smaller DSLR. Or be a little patient and some of the newer Alphas (A33 & A55) might give you a better result for not much more money and you'll have a much bigger selection of lenses down the track.
    John
    www.pbase.com/jb53 www.flickr.com/photos/johnb53

CC always welcome (encouraged!)!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB5319 View Post
    I have an A900 and a 20-70 Zeiss lens .
    Typo I presume ?? 24-70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sony nex5 18-200mm kit

hi all,
    any one heard of the nex5 18-200mm kit?
    i'm thinking of getting one, lens is better than the 18-55mm .
    it was released in US, but couldn't find it in au.
    it shouldn't be cheap, at its price i can get a canon eos 550d or d90. but it is so handy, and looks good.
    martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrowland View Post
    hi all,
    any one heard of the nex5 18-200mm kit?
    i'm thinking of getting one, lens is better than the 18-55mm .
    it was released in US, but couldn't find it in au.
    it shouldn't be cheap, at its price i can get a canon eos 550d or d90. but it is so handy, and looks good.
    martin
    18-200 isnt available until next month. Its about $950USD I think .. quite $$$$.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as much as the EP1 or NX5 is good for a lot of things, it just cannot replace or do things a DSLR can......
    this may be true, but there are certainly advantages to the EVIL cameras that you simply miss with a DSLR. No contest, my EP-1 is a better camera than my D3 (that's my opinion for my style of shooting).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB5319 View Post
    I guess the question is - what do you want to do with it? Do you have a lot of cash invested in any other DLSR stuff? If not, there are a range of other cameras. I have an A900 and a 20-70 Zeiss lens which weigh fair bit. But I ended up buying an E-PL1 as a travel camera because it had a built in flash and image stabilisation built into the body. The NEX-5 has the flash attachment but the IS is in the lens. Because both the NEX and PEN cameras have no mirrors, a lot of old lenses can be used with adaptors fairly easily. I use an old Canon FD 50mm 1.4 lens on mine to great effect.

Anyway, I went overseas recently and took both the A900 and the E-PL1. While the E-PL1 took generally great pics, there are a number of captures I wished I'd done on the A900. Bottom line - if you can afford only 1 camera I'd be inclined to try and find a smaller DSLR. Or be a little patient and some of the newer Alphas (A33 & A55) might give you a better result for not much more money and you'll have a much bigger selection of lenses down the track.
    Did you buy the VF-2 for the E-Pl1? I found it almost impossible to use the LCD to focus with manuel lenses in bright light. People say the VF-2 will help a lot.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have the ep-1, and use manual focus lenses almost exclusively. It is a breeze to manual focus. I love my EP-1, in fact I think it is a better camera than the Nikon D3. People may say that a full frame SFDSLR may produce better image quality, but that all depends on how you define image quality, and what your intended results are. the ep-1 is not perfect, but it certainly suits me, and its ability to use normal lenses is a real advantage, and this is where it can offset a lot of disadvantages of an slr camera. these EVIL camera's have a 40% market share in Japan, so I think we are witnessing the decline of the SLR before our very eyes.

as for the VF-2, i would love to try one, but I think the refresh rate may be a drawback. i'd love to hear from anyone who has used one; i think they run at about 60hz. obviously i can't use one on the ep-1, but i think the next generation of EVIL cameras will be a big step forward from the current models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried the VF-2 already. very good to MF. Very bright and clear. I love it. I can't use the E-PL1 without it for all my legacy lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried the Canon Macro lens 55mm f3.5 on the E-PL1. Lots of fun and love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast