Thread: Do I have Dust Bunnies - Help

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I have Dust Bunnies - Help

Hi All,
    I was having a play this afternoon in preparation for my first attempt at sunrises / sunsets t and noticed what appears to be sensor dust on the image. I did a test againast a white background and see the same dots. I have attached an image that show them the most.
    Anyway, I have had a look at the sensor and I cannot see anything on the sensor. I have tested both lens and present on both. From what I have seen on the forums they appear to be dust on the sensor. I have been paranoid about this (as most newbies are I think) and follow all the guidelines - came body down whne changing, I have never changed a lens in the open and always in shelter or jump in the car. What a waist of time. I have a Canon 400d with sensor cleaning and have red many threads about how well the cleaner works but wiht all my care it appears I have dust bunnies.

I am astounded how easily dust has gotten onto the sensor and that the cleaning system does not remove it at all. I have been rediculasly careful and as a rule never change a lens on site.

A couple of questions:

1. Do they look like sensor dust or do I have another issue?

2. Can I use one of the cleaning brushs and cleaning wads with fluid on the 400D sesnor with a vibrating cleaner?

3. Should I be able to physicaly see the dust on the sensor is is it really that small?

4. Recomendations on the best way to clean the sensor, brush, wet wad, puffer?

5. Do I just put up with it and just use dust delete data?

6. I was told that dust can actually get in via the barrel on my 55-250 EF-s IS lens - is this true?

Thanks in Advance for any advise,

Mike - dust bunny hunter
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup you have dust bunnies follow the link kym posted.

steve.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't get the dust off the sensor , and you want to take it to get it cleaned Mike, send me a pm, and I'll give you the name and number of the guy who did mine a few weeks ago. I know what it's like to be paranoid about dust on the sensor ( cept in my case it was saliva :-s)
    This fella is in Toowoomba, and was pretty cheap too.. and the best part was, he only had the camera for a couple of hours
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Team for the quick responses. Towoomba is just up the road and we go there regularly to see my daughter. Will definately pm you Kirsty as if he can do it on the day I will see if he can do it on a day trip.

Pretty crap shot hey but served the purpose - :-). I hope to improve with some first time sunrise shots in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn how to do it yourself, dust bunnies will come back time and time again in a short period of time, it's a part of owning a digital SLR, par for the course

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Colin, is it difficult. I have read a little about it on the web etc but am nervous about damaging my camera. Is it OK to use the swabs with the Canon 400D as it has the vibrating filter on the front of the sensor.

New teritory for me I am afraid but would like to be self suficient if possible.

Thanks,

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Hi Colin, is it difficult. I have read a little about it on the web etc but am nervous about damaging my camera. Is it OK to use the swabs with the Canon 400D as it has the vibrating filter on the front of the sensor.

New teritory for me I am afraid but would like to be self suficient if possible.

Thanks,

Mike
    Cant see why not Mike and I dont think the vibrating filter makes any difference. It really can be the case that as soon as it's cleaned by yourself or a "pro" more bunnies appear in a short period of time, especially in windy dusty conditions. Heard a few people complain that they take their camera in for sensor cleaning only to find within a couple of days it's dirty again. Pays to practice good lens changing techniques to minimise the bunnies.

Just do some googling in regards to sensor cleaning and there are quite a few topics in this regard.....it really is easy once you've done it and you'll wonder what all the worry was about.. I use the Copperhill wet swab method, but there are other systems as well.

In the interim, just keep your aperature setting not much higher that say f10 and the bunnies wont show up, above f10 approx, ie : f16 will show the bunnies more often.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Colin - After some web surfing on the topic I think I will purchase a kit and give it a go. There is a couple of vids on you tube and it dosen't look that hard.

Thanx

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is some great advice here, but remember there is also some slight risk of damaging the filter over the sensor (you clean the filter not the actual sensor), so if you are really nervous about doing it, I would recommend getting it done professionally, until you can meet someone (another AP member maybe) who can show you how to do it.

You do a clean of your sensor at your own risk.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they arent dust bunies, they are UFOs!

just kidding
    follow the advice on the thread and you'll be fine
    i use dust aid, it works well.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks David - I would prefer they were UFO's actually :-). Well, my first attempt at cleaning my sensor. Good time to start - I am looking to by a 50D in the next month (tax time again) so best get to it now on the 400D - lol

Cheers,

Mike