Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparison: Calibrated to Uncalibrated Monitor

I’ve just borrowed my friends Spyder2PRO and calibrated my 19” LG Flatron widescreen.

Here are two images the top one was processed prior to the calibration today and the bottom one following the calibration. The image was taken in the last light of the day, about 20min prior to sunset.

Comments, opinions on the colour change would be greatly appreciated.

3rd at 5400Kelvin

Last edited by enduro; 20-06-2009 at 10:55pm.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st has better tones through it, 2nd looks to have a yellowish cast on this monitor that I use for web stuff.
    The 1st shot is the better one to me Wayne, and it is being viewed in Firefox that is supposedly colour aware.

Hope I got it right according to your setup.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I calibrate mine every month, and though the first looks better, I think it's because the image is a little over saturated. The second, I'll agree, does carry a yellow cast.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    1st has better tones through it, 2nd looks to have a yellowish cast on this monitor that I use for web stuff.
    The 1st shot is the better one to me Wayne, and it is being viewed in Firefox that is supposedly colour aware.

Hope I got it right according to your setup.
    I'm using FF too.

I bumped the temp up to 6500K on the second one, maybe that is why it's so warm.

My whole monitor looks much redder than it was before, the grey windows border on FF for example is quite warm too.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just added a 3rd at 5400Kelvin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3 looks most natural for me, at that time of day, in that light. #2 is obviously warm and looks too yellow.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add my two, uncalibrated, bobs worth if 'yall don't mind an uneducated voice.

I reckon #2 is the most natural looking even with it's yellow cast. Considering the conditions that Wayne explained, it; slooks to be the most natural looking colour balance for a 20mins prior to sunset shot... which will naturally have a yellow cfast due to the colour of light.

Accordiong to Nikon WB values cloudy is about 6000K, so I reckon 6500K is about right, and that's roughly what I use too.

If you wanted accurate colour display, as opposed to what the scene actually looked like then you'd guess that #1 would be closer to the mark, and maybe a little more blue too.

I suppose it depends on whether you're trying to display the scene as you saw it, or an accurate colour rendition in more neutral lighting.

I posted a WB comparative thread in the Transport section.

ps. my screen is still uncalibrated. really should get a Spyder myself, but having seen some of my images on Andrew's calibrated Eizo screen, they look as close to the same on my screen as I could tell, so I doubt I'm urgently in need of one ATM.
    My screen is an old Sony multiscan thing.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    I'm using FF too.

I bumped the temp up to 6500K on the second one, maybe that is why it's so warm.

My whole monitor looks much redder than it was before, the grey windows border on FF for example is quite warm too.
    wouldnt it be a good idea to keep the 2nd photo the same temp as the first for better and more accurate comparison then?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I looked at the legs (heheh).

For me (calibrated) the first one has a blue cast (coolness) to it. The second is warmer, and is a really nice version of this, though the legs look a little to vibrant. The third works for me (as a record shot showing accurately what this bird looks like) as the legs look the most natural in the third.

Having said that, I find the second one grabs my attention as the slight warmness and associated colour boost works well.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2 is definately the more natural colour range

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5400K one is by far the most realistic. While the first is great looking, it is over saturated (if considering it from a 'natural' viewpoint).
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||