• 80% Gear 20% Tog

8 2.75%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Discussion: Good equipment vs Good Photographer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have the best gear on the planet but without skills and creativity there will never be any good photos; however with skills and creativity one can take good photos on almost any type of gear (as many famous photographers have demonstrated in the past)

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    i voted gravy....

80% photographer...

give a newbie and pro the same say d90 and 70-200/2.8 vr to shoot say a motor race and what will the outcome be? it takes skill not equipment for the most part.
    about to upgrade from d40 to d90... wonder if my shots will be better?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 11TCo View Post
    You can have the best gear on the planet but without skills and creativity there will never be any good photos; however with skills and creativity one can take good photos on almost any type of gear (as many famous photographers have demonstrated in the past)
    I don't think anyone really disagrees with that, but a good 'tog can make great use of good gear as well.
    eg. There are things you can't do with a phone camera. Try serious birding without a long lens?

This discussion has been going for a while

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ving, there is the possibility that your shots will improve...but it depends if you are able to use the capabilities of your camera. For laughs yesterday I decided to pull out my D40 and put my 24-70 F2.8 on it. Besides the camera feeling terribly odd in my hand (forgot how small it was), just trying to shoot in my room was a challenge with the available useful ISO and not to mention the lack of controls for simple handling and the AF points (which were all the reasons I went to the D300, which shoots easily in the same environment without flash). The D90 has a similar transition. Granted glass has got to be good, but the body definitely plays an important role in utilising it. Not to mention that if you put the best gear in some peoples hands they can't use it to save themselves (whether it be technical or composition problems). The right tool for the right job is useful, but if you cant use that tool its irrelevant.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567