8 2.75%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Good equipment vs Good Photographer

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope the chicken soup is one of those thick, rich and hearty broth types!!

... otherwise I've made a grave(y) error of judgement!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i voted 40/60... although better gear (and post processing) helps.. a "better" photographer will know the rules (of thirds?) and will surely have better composition, framing, subject, background, etc...

given that a newbie and a pro have the same gear, but they wouldn't have the same "eye"..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted 60/40 as I believe my camera makes me look better than I am, the difference in my shots since changing cameras has been fairly dramatic in my opinion, although it helps to hang around APers a lot to . I think a good camera can be a bit more forgiving when you stuff up.
    Phil
    Canon EOS 40D
    EFS 17-85 IS USM Lens
    Olympus E510
    Manfrotto Tripod
    Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted "all photographer"
    Why?????
    I think the is a definite advantage in having "good equipment" but you still need to know how to fully utilise it.

I have stood beside or near others with much better gear than I have and "to my mind at least" taken some better images.
    On the other hand I have also compared pics with others with far less gear than I was shooting at the time and their result were much more appealing than mine.
    At the end of the day there are way too many variables in what costitutes a "good photo"
    No point in having an amazingly sharp pic if the composition, balance, DOF, lighting, tones etc of the pic are out the back.
    Personally I would prefer to view a well composed image of less IQ.

Agree with others that it is basically genre specific as well.
    On 2nd thoughts maybe should have gone 20% gear 80% tog.
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This newbie after 1 year speaks only for hisself in saying I reckon its 80 percent tog and 20 percent gear.

I dont count what happens to the image after the shutter goes off (post processing) as photography because you add another element to the mix Photographer, camera/gear and the a computer with software.

I say gear is important because, for example, I know my 75-300MM kit lens is going to struggle to produce a sharp, clean wildlife image beyond a certain focal length no matter how much I know about my camera and its nuances and that of the particular lens I have been pushing the boundaries/limits of for a whole year (most misses, a couple of hits).

So I put that genre or photography on the 'to do later' list and wait for a much better telefoto lens (Sigma that can go to 400MM) before I feel confident in my lens producing good quality action and wildlife images. Same goes for macro images of flowers/fungi etc, I know the limitations of my 18-55MM kit lens will be soft (mostly misses, few hits) cf other lenses, but I persist with both lenses and will take those action and macro images anyway, trying to squeeze every ounce of capability out of the camera occassionally while i focus on 'anyone can (almost) take a seascape/landscape/rainforest image and it looks good tourist genre work whilst Im learning the trade.

Meantime I have got to know my basics of photography THEORY and my Canon 400D very well and focus alot of my attention on composition and exposure, knowing these kit lenses can be very good but are more often than not inferior to the lenses other people use.

I have begun collecting 'better lenses' now I THINK I have the basics of photography THEORY stored away and have moved on to CONSCIOUSS INCOMPETENCE - knowing what is wrong with my images and beginning to develop an understanding of how to fix what is wrong or improve it.

I dont blame the lenses for rubbish shots most of the time, I blame a lack of know how and experience - that is Consciouss Incompetence- so I dont think buying thousands of dollars worth of lens or a better body is going to teach me a thing, only make it easier to kid myself that Im getting good at this stuff, when I probably am still in the kindergarten.

I will buy new lenses and one at a time and work it hard and learn its capacity and how it fits with my camera is different genres and take another year of crappy shots and the odd good one- at my own pace.

Yeah, I would say 80 percent photographer and 20 percent camera/gear fits in my case.
    Last edited by David; 16-06-2009 at 12:00pm.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say at least 80% photographer. A good photographer with poor equipment will work within its limitations and make worthwhile photos, maybe even great ones. A poor photographer is unlikely to get much out of even the best kit.

I tend to agree with the dreaded K_R_ that enthusiasts like us worry too much about the quality of our stuff, when we should just get out and use it.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post

I tend to agree with the dreaded K_R_ that enthusiasts like us worry too much about the quality of our stuff, when we should just get out and use it.
    And he's living proof that even pro's should concern themselves with the quality of their work!

(ie. I've had a look at his gallery .... and I rest my case! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted 20/80 too.
    Crumpler 5 Million Dollar + Canon EOS 7D + Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM, Manfrotto tripod
    Previous owned gear: Canon EOS 400D, Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, Macro Canon EF 35mm f/2, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 55-250m, Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Arthur, by stuff I meant equipment. I think Mr R_ does care about the quality of his photography (though I admit it looks fairly pedestrian to me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I think the ratios really are genre specific.

Birding and sports especially just require stellar gear to produce stellar photos

Portraits, landscapes etc I think are less dependent on gear
    Exactly, each case is specific. I don't think one can be a good photographer on evey subject and/or with any gear. For instant, a good landscape photographer who always use a manual SLR (film) with a wide angle lens likely won't be successful by using a high end DSLR and a long (AF) focal length on bird !
    That's why it's a 50/50 ratio for me...
    Cheers
    Sar

D2Hs, D2Hs, D2X, D7000, D800 | AF-S 14-24/2.8 | AF-S 18-300 DX | AF-S 24-70/2.8 | AI-S 50/1.8 | AI-S 105/2.5 | AI-S 105/4 Micro-Nikkor | AF-S 85/1.4 G | AI-S 50-300/4.5 ED | AI-S 180/2.8 ED | AI 80-200/4.5N | AF-S 200-400/4 VR | AF-S 600/4 VR | TC-14EII, TC-17EII, TC-20EIII, Kenko 2x | SB-800+Better Beamer | Tripod Dutch Hill+Dietmar Nill Head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    strictly 50/50 for me, I have seen some very worthy images posted here from p&s cameras and can only be impressed by folks who understand their kit and how to get optimal results from it.
    My Image Policy: Feel free to comment or edit as you wish.

Rebel XT
    Canon 18-55 kit
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG macro
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO HSM
    Sigma 150 f2.8 EX APO Macro DG HSM
    Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 APO
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super

http://spacejunk2.deviantart.com/

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit like the argument of nature vs nurture. You really can't have one without the other. A photographer without a camera will do just as badly as a camera without a photographer.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    It's a bit like the argument of nature vs nurture. You really can't have one without the other. A photographer without a camera will do just as badly as a camera without a photographer.
    Except that I'm talking about a qualitative issue - being the quality of the equipment.
    How much does good gear improve your photography and how much is skill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Except that I'm talking about a qualitative issue - being the quality of the equipment.
    How much does good gear improve your photography and how much is skill?
    But you ask for a quantitative answer to a qualitative question. This isn't possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While Steve and Cypher work out the meaning of qualitative vs quantitative concepts (the word qualititative in research at least has nought to do with 'quality' per se (funny how we get derailed by strange things here in AP), getting back to Cypher'S intent,
    what do you think Steve ?

Can a good camera/lens make a person unconsciously (unaware of how or why the image turned out as it did) look like a scmick/expert/master photographer ?

Ive taken a shot or two where people commented that it had great composition, very good exposure, nice rule of thirds application, mass balance, apeture controlling the DOF, clever use of Shutter Speed and avoidance of 'vignetting' when I thought composition was something a music composer did, shutter speed was how fast you hit the button, apeture was ..huh ?...ISO was an Indigenous Services Officer and exposure was taking the lens cap off. Now I know what those things mean I am consciously incompetent instead of unconsciously incompetent

I think a person can have an innate photographers 'eye' in terms of composition and subject matter, but everything else has to be learned with experience and consciouss awareness of creating an image by use of the tools and experience you have with the camera and lenses at your disposal being a contributing, but significantly less important factor.

So Im sticking with a quantitative valuation 80 percent photographer on Cyphers scale which may not be technically correct but uses concepts and values your average Joe can get to grips with. Over to you Steve -
    Last edited by David; 17-06-2009 at 3:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagubun View Post
    While Steve and Cypher work out the meaning of qualitative vs quantitative concepts (the word qualititative in research at least has nought to do with 'quality' per se (funny how we get derailed by strange things here in AP), getting back to Cypher'S intent,
    what do you think Steve ?

Can a good camera/lens make a person unconsciously (unaware of how or why the image turned out as it did) look like a scmick/expert/master photographer ?

Ive taken a shot or two where people commented that it had great composition, very good exposure, nice rule of thirds application, mass balance, apeture controlling the DOF, clever use of Shutter Speed and avoidance of 'vignetting' when I thought composition was something a music composer did, shutter speed was how fast you hit the button, apeture was ..huh ?...ISO was an Indigenous Services Officer and exposure was taking the lens cap off. Now I know what those things mean I am consciously incompetent instead of unconsciously incompetent

I think a person can have an innate photographers 'eye' in terms of composition and subject matter, but everything else has to be learned with experience and consciouss awareness of creating an image by use of the tools and experience you have with the camera and lenses at your disposal being a contributing, but significantly less important factor.

So Im sticking with a quantitative valuation 80 percent photographer on Cyphers scale which may not be technically correct but uses concepts and values your average Joe can get to grips with. Over to you Steve -
    Ahh. You guys just think I'm being pedantic. But I really don't think you can answer such a question. It takes both to take a photograph, so both are vital. You could say they are equally important, but that really misses the point. I'm sure we could come up with examples where the camera seemed to be all important - eg it is impossible to take a photo of a distant object (eg a star) without a very good telephoto lens (a telescope), or examples where the photographer seemed all important - eg a photo of a very significant event is better if it is taken with the cheapest of cameras than it is missed by the most expensive.

I think it is very like the nature vs nurture argument. That one tends to swing with the political scene, though again, it is very hard to imagine the one without the other.

Over to you David.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na I dont think your being pedantic Steve- you have implicitely come close to a 50/50 position where both the photographer are equally important/influential in producing good photographs, or as close to that as your likely to concede. Im not saying you have decided on a generalisation, but that is close to it I reckon.

Meantime, I have enjoyed reading everyones input and comments about this issue; makes you think about what you are doing standing behind a camera if nothing else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - call it 50/50 if you wish, but all other answers are meaningless. It isn't a matter of opinion. Just like the world isn't flat. (oh hell - now what have I started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Steve if the world is not flat how come I have flat feet ? ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn't though of that. Oh shit, I just fell off the edge. Byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ..........

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast