• AP Candy (and no gravy for ving)

11 4.98%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paparazzi as a job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my parents were actors in the uk pretty well known in their day(60`s-70`s) if we went on holiday were quite often photographed etc but was very low key in those days.
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paparazzi trivia - origin of the word: I finally got around to watching "La Dolce Vita", classic Federico Fellini movie. In it Marcello Mastroianni plays a journalist, and the name of the photographer, who uses every trick in the book to get a shot, was named "Paparazzo". Upon hearing that I researched to see "what came first", and it is definitely the name of the character. Fellini is quoted somewhere as saying that it means "sparrow" in an Italian dialect.

My answer: no. Sure the public has a right to know, it is the price of fame, blah blah blah. Even if I agreed with capital punishment, and it was legal, I wouldn't want to be the one in the firing squad pulling the trigger.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Would you do paparazzi work?
    I.e. would you take celeb photos for a price?
    Nope.

It's a pretty low act, if you ask me.

Some of those Hollywood paps absolutely hound celebs.

While celebrities are public figures, they do have private lives, which should be respected. Sure, if the celeb is working, attending an industry function or something else along those lines, the celeb can expect to be photographed -- and paps can snap away -- but following celebs when they go shopping, or sticking lenses into their yards is just not on.

IMO, paps degrade the photographic industry. Some of them are ruthless and shameless, and I dare say it's just the sort of people they are, who'd be that way no matter what job they had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaroneski View Post
    Paparazzi trivia - origin of the word: I finally got around to watching "La Dolce Vita", classic Federico Fellini movie. In it Marcello Mastroianni plays a journalist, and the name of the photographer, who uses every trick in the book to get a shot, was named "Paparazzo". Upon hearing that I researched to see "what came first", and it is definitely the name of the character. Fellini is quoted somewhere as saying that it means "sparrow" in an Italian dialect...
    I've always been told Paparazzo was slang or regional meaning mosquito.

EDIT to add, no, I wouldn't do it as a job, there are far easier ways of making a living. Though I do get paid to shoot celebrities, it's when they're at functions, parties, awards ceremonies, etc.
    Last edited by James T; 08-04-2010 at 2:11pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slippery slope

Paparazzi... would like to say yes as it just seems like an exotic kind of job. Lets face it you are basically getting as close as you can to the rich and famous. BUT what a slippery slope you start taking photos of C grade celebrities at the shopping centre and the next thing you know you are selling photos of a celebrity in a car crash. So it has to be a no for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    Paparazzi... would like to say yes as it just seems like an exotic kind of job. Lets face it you are basically getting as close as you can to the rich and famous. BUT what a slippery slope you start taking photos of C grade celebrities at the shopping centre and the next thing you know you are selling photos of a celebrity in a car crash. So it has to be a no for me.
    If exotic is sitting in your car for 5 nights in a row surviving on coffee and bad takeaway, then yeah maybe.

The guys at the top get a lot of cash, but I have no idea why most of them put themselves through it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    I voted no as well..... I'd be scared of getting mugged for my expensive camera!!

But honestly, the long hours and no guaranteed income puts me off.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Remind me to vote NO after this spiel, but) I don't find anything to celebrate in "celebrities". Am (not interested).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mate of mine on a usa forum im on is a FT pap, he just paid for a new car with one photo of reclusive celeb and new child.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say No. Im too nice of a person. Plus I hate car salesman and I think both jobs are on par with each other. Leeching off someone to make money
    Cheers

Gear: Canon - 1D Mk IV, 400mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 85mm 1.2, 16-35mm 2.8, 580EX IIx2, and more.
    Industry: Sports/Action Photography
    Publications: The Record (AFL Magazine QAFL) and Intensity Sports Magazine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paparazzi as a job?

Ok, scenario

You are shooting a football match or a landscape and see Lara Bingle smooching with Michael Clarke in the private room of the mcg, you havd a clear shot through the window, yes, huge story, $20000 picture

What would you do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Ok, scenario

You are shooting a football match or a landscape and see Lara Bingle smooching with Michael Clarke in the private room of the mcg, you havd a clear shot through the window, yes, huge story, $20000 picture

What would you do ?

First, ask myself seriously if I am a photographer or a used car real estate salesman cash strapped gear head.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paparazzi as a job?

And then take the shot regardless and peddle it to the highest bidder, the photo gets run and ruins the existing realtionship of Clarke and costs him his chance of captaincy

You have 20000 though

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about it some more... for me it really depends on who the celeb is.

If it were a doufus or pollie ... fair game!
    The more 'infamous' the celeb the less scruples I would have

Eg. Eddie Maguire, KRudd, Media Mike Rann etc. are all fair game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Ok, scenario

What would you do ?

..I'd vomit.

..but if it were Krudd and Bingle smooching, I'd snap away
    Olympus E-30 upgrade pointing @ you

50mm
    11-22mm
    FL-36 [flash]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a pap is hard yakka.
    I lived many years in Surry Hills were Fox Studios were, and the town gets flooded now and then by them. The most I experienced were during the Star Wars and Matrix production in the early to mid 90's.
    A lot of folks would probably say they won't do it, but then when they get that first hit of a five figure sum for their photo, who knows? It may well be the main reason why these guys go all out so much. Plus the adrenalin rush for the chase on the prey.
    Just my 2c...
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted yes, and a big yes.
    Whether people think I'm unscrupulous or not is not my concern.
    As it is, I've been abused when shooting car accidents and other major incidents for newspapers.
    Those are probably the same people who can't wait to see the paper the next day or that nights TV news or to get this weeks issue of "No Idea", "Who(cares) Weekly" etc.
    I'm putting food on my table and feeding my family. That's all that matters.
    Whether I or anyone else thinks that's right or wrong is of no consequence.
    Is that harsh? Probably. Am I doing my job? Yes.
    As a freelance or self employed photographer, no one's forcing anyone to do it if they don't want to.
    seeya in the soup
    Ian

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted no,

I guess I don't like the concept of the borederline harrasment of people because they are 'famous'... Of course if I was walking along with my camera and saw a shot in public of a 'celeb' that would be worth a fortune, well maybe I would?

Depends on who it is and what the situation is..

Ricktas's Gordon Ramsay situation if I was walking past with my camera, I probably would take the shot. But say Gordon's child had just drowned and was getting CPR and Gordon was there in agony obviously, the situation is very different, and I would have to say no way would I take a shot..
    Last edited by joele; 20-07-2010 at 1:36pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is not too many good celebs in aus but if i lived overseas could be interested in being one, kinda like getting paid to be a stalker lol
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after having a good mate of mine have his personal life recently invaded immensely by all major newspapers and trashy mags like womens day, i would never be a pap. He's now had to turn his phone off basically 24 hours a day, delete his FB page, etc, etc.

no amount of money could get me to do that to someone...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast