It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Interesting argument though, cause if the gym has cctv, then any attendees must accept being photographed...so...
    IANAL .... but intent and purpose come into play.
    If CCTV is for security and there is no intent to publish then it is still private.

I thing the legal interpretation would be that a 'reasonable person' has the expectation that security image/video will not be published.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd do it but not go as far as put the subject in a dangerous position. Ever since the paparazzi were involved in the death of the princess there are certain lines that I would not cross.
    Aka - Gaston A

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gear List

Camera:Nikon D90 + MB-D80 Batteries grip
    Lenses: Nikon 24-70 F2.8 & Nikon 50mm F1.8
    Tripod: Velbon Sherpa 803R
    Flash: Nikon SB600 with a range of diffusers
    Software: Adobe Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, cause to me a backyard is a private space, even though the law (in Aus) says differently in regard to photography (ie. if it is viewable from a public space it can be photographed)
    Backyards are considered private space.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Backyards are considered private space.
    Sorry, but under the law, any place visible from public space can be photographed. So if I stood on a footpath and photographed someone in a backyard/paddock or elsewhere, as long as I was standing on public land, it is legal to do so. This is the exact law that the paparazzi use
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, true, unless the subject is doing something that might be reasonably be expected to be private, or is otherwise indecent.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes as long as it was all legal, after all I need to pay for the camera bags / cases some how

Smylie
    Yeah, I'd give it a crack. After all $10,000 is $10,000 dosen't matter to me how I get it (within reason ).

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no freakin gravy!!!
    i am not even gunna read this thread then :P

hehe
    seriously, wouldnt go downthe tasteless route.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, cause to me a backyard is a private space
    It is a very fine line between what is "legal" and what is acceptable. I mean: that image of his daughter in the backyard is something you wouldn't take (because it's close to voyeurism maybe?). But what if she was out in the open, let's say sitting on a bench in a street somewhere, eating a greasy fish-and-chips obviously served from a very bad cafeteria. That last situation actually would have news-value: the child of the self-proclaimed super-cook eats very unhealthy food. Would you take that image and sell it?
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    It is a very fine line between what is "legal" and what is acceptable. I mean: that image of his daughter in the backyard is something you wouldn't take (because it's close to voyeurism maybe?). But what if she was out in the open, let's say sitting on a bench in a street somewhere, eating a greasy fish-and-chips obviously served from a very bad cafeteria. That last situation actually would have news-value: the child of the self-proclaimed super-cook eats very unhealthy food. Would you take that image and sell it?
    Yep!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but under the law, any place visible from public space can be photographed. So if I stood on a footpath and photographed someone in a backyard/paddock or elsewhere, as long as I was standing on public land, it is legal to do so. This is the exact law that the paparazzi use
    There's a reasonable expectation of privacy in a backyard - try and build a house extension that lets you see into your neighbour's backyard and see how far the local council lets you go.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    There's a reasonable expectation of privacy in a backyard - try and build a house extension that lets you see into your neighbour's backyard and see how far the local council lets you go.
    agree, but as the law stands, if a person is visible from a public space, then they are legally allowed to be photographed. Your original post stating a backyard was private is not how it is deemed legally, in a photographic sense.

You say your backyard is private, consider this. Your backyard is near a park. I photograph you and your partner having sex in your backyard. You complain about a breach of your privacy. At the same time several families using the park (with children) notice your behaviour and report you to the police. Who is going to get arrested, me for photographing you, or you and your partner for public indecency? Your backyard is not private if it is visible from a public space and you cannot expect it to be 'off limits'.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm with Rick, i would take a photo and sell to the highest bidder but it would be an opportunist shot. otherwise, it's not my bag. i friend of mine took the last pictures of Peter Brock, just minutes prior to his crash. the photos were nothing spectacular by his standards, but he received a 5 figure sum for those few pics.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    i friend of mine took the last pictures of Peter Brock, just minutes prior to his crash. the photos were nothing spectacular by his standards, but he received a 5 figure sum for those few pics.
    And that to me is exactly where the line is drawn. I would sell the photos prior to the crash ---- and delete the ones of the wrecked car etc. etc.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, all the photos he took were prior to the crash, he wasn't near the crash site. these were at the start of the stage.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, that is what I meant, the photos prior to the carnage are the last ones of the man as many will remember him and are of true value, anything taken after the event showing destruction of life and property are pure sensationalism and are only suited to coroners courts. I don't think they serve any public interest and that is what the media are about ------ isn't it ????

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    ... and are only suited to coroners courts. I don't think they serve any public interest and that is what the media are about ------ isn't it ????
    Actually, I'd argue that for the coroners court, they do serve public interest. At the same time (and I assume - possibly wrongly - that no sarcasm is intended ) that the media have nothing to do with "public interest" in the context of public good, and far more to do with the interest of the public - if it sells newspapers/advertising time/advertising space, it is in the interests of the media. (I don't actually mean this too cynically - they are in business, and wages have to be paid and profits made.)

Overall, I side with Rick - I still have no qualms - if the photo can be taken publicly and it is worth money, taste has very little to do with it. If I had the (admittedly voyeuristic and in poor taste) shots of post-crash Peter Brock, I would not delete them.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted Yes, but with limitations:

I'm opposed to taking shots where people except to be having privacy (even when having out and about in the street), however I'd be happy to shoot people at red carpet events, openings etc where they are there to be in the spotlight.

I wonder if the money really is that good (particulary in Perth! - or Oz for that matter) to be a 24/7 paparazzi? AFAIK, the money for hard core paparazzi seems to be in the UK.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted yes, with taste (though as someone commented, that is highly subjective).

Re the backyard issue: I don't think I would push it that far, because I thing that in some places the law is that there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. My backyard, for example, is planted with trees around its perimeter and has a 6 ft fence. In theory, someone could see in with a long lens and reasonable elevation, but I would challenge a photograph taken of me in the yard (not that anyone would!), because since I have taken the trouble to fence and plant appropriately, I do have an expectation of privacy. The backyard issue is a minefield and I think its tempting fate to go there.

On a beach or in any public place (street etc, but not IN buildings which are not public places) celebs are fair game and if I had the cam, you bet I would take the shot and sell it off.
    Blog : PPG : Flickr
    PENTAX K-5 + various lenses; Olympus XZ-1; Fujifilm X100; Ricoh GRD3

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast