User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Cellophane 'Gel'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cellophane 'Gel'

I have only recently started experimenting with flash.

I have placed one layer of orange cellophane over my flash and set the camera white balance to tungsten to match the halogen down lights and incandescent bulb in the far left of room (see attached image). The flash is bounced off the ceiling.

The image is straight from camera with no alterations. It looks ok, but I think it can be improved with a better colour temperature balance. I'd like to achieve this in-camera and not in post processing.

Short from buying dedicated light-balanced gels, I was wondering if anyone has had successful shots using just cheap cellophane ?

Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canon 5D | BG-E4 battery grip | 17-40mm f/4L zoom | 50mm f/1.4 prime | 24-70mm f/2.8L zoom | 300mm f/4L IS prime | 1.4x III teleconverter| 580EX II flash | Velbon Sherpa 600n tripod | Lowepro Nova 3AW bag | Various Singh-Ray Filters

Wish List | 100mm f/2.8 macro

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like you have just started into flash photography and I did the same thing a couple of days ago and used orange cellophane over one of my flashes. I shot a white bowl sitting on a piano - I would post it to show you but it's still on my camera. I'll put it up in a couple of days. I was quite pleased with the effect. I also tried pink tissue paper and royal blue crepe paper but the cellophane worked the best.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the photo as promised!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't just purchase Colour Temp rated gels. They are like 1/5 of your Singh Ray filter.

http://www.johnbarry.com.au//product...roducts_id=483

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some cheap but good gel's... Rosco Gells... its what the David Hobby (aka the strobist) uses: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300316247776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only question would be how does the cellophane stand up to the heat produced by the flash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    My only question would be how does the cellophane stand up to the heat produced by the flash?
    Yeah i don't think regular cellophane would stand up to the heat produced from the flash... better off being safe and getting proper gels...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    Very well in fact. I had my 580EX II firing for about 5 minutes at 20 second intervals. It was only luke warm to the touch.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I see that the colour corrected gels are of minimal cost and would suit the job better than el-cheapo cellophane !