User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Mick's off camera flash. The early years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mick's off camera flash. The early years.

OK, so I'm using two 430exII's off camera. Very very new to it but wow, I'm looking forward to big things. Its so much fun but wow, so much to learn. Got a little swatch book of gels from B&H, taped on on one of the flash heads and gave it a try. Got one flash shooting in to silver umbrella reflecting back on me as main light. The gelled storbe behind me for mood lighting. I know its rough but hey, I'm having fun and its a start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really liking the painting feel you are getting with your processing on these Mick

Well Done
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick,

I'm at about the same stage as you I think...Just starting to play. I have a 580EX II and a 420EX that I run off flash with a STE2 transmitter.

What are you using?

I have been over to the strobist blog and gone into brain overload with everything there is to learn.. but agree with you.. what a lot of fun. I don't think I'll ever take an on camera flash photo again

Good luck with it all
    Pete
    Canon EOS1000, Canon 300D plus crappy kit lenses, Canon 40D, Canon 5dMkII
    Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Canon 24-105 EF f/4L IS USM
    Canon 50mm EF f1.2/L USM, Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX APO Macro DG, Canon 70-300 EF f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

all shared with my lovely wife (except for the 5DMKII)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mark. I ran a bit of Lucisart over this shot. havent used Lucis much of late. My otgher stuff is pretty much hand made.

Cheers Pete. Hell yea, its fun alright. And whoa, I totally agree with brain overload statement. I'm using a 580EXII on camera to fire two 430EXII's off camera. Got me two light stands with umbrellas now too. I feel like a real pro, now just got to work out how to start looking pro when I drag em all out lol. I got a long way to go.

Mick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick, I always like looking at your work. Just my first flash (580 EXII) the other day. Plan to eventually play with off camera a bit but not sure if I'll end up with a slave flash anytime soon.

Good to see you're having fun
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep your processing is unmistakbly you - as is yourself too ! Hope you're having fun with the flash unit :P
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work Mick. You've got a couple of hot spots from the bare speedlight, but (especially with your signature processing) they fit with the mood and the rest of the lighting looks really good.

I also got a couple of umbrellas and stands recently and I'm loving playing with them, but whoa, is there a lot to learn when it comes to strobism!
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just starting with off camera flash as well.
    I've got a Nikon Speedlight SB800 (almost new), that I bought from a collegue at work for $600 and a brand new Sigma EF - 430 Super flash that I bought from Greys' Online Auction for $84 which included the $16 odd dollars for postage.
    The Sigma flash won't fire when it's on the camera but I have been able to use it as a wireless slave with Nikon's Creative Light system. So I use the inbuilt flash as my master flash and the Speedlight and Sigma flashes as the wireless slaves.
    I haven't got any gels yet but I had some fun experimenting with some coloured cellophane the other day.
    Having the flashes has just opened up a whole new photography world for me!

Love the treatment of your shot and what a great setting! Well done.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    a brand new Sigma EF - 430 Super flash that I bought from Greys' Online Auction for $84 which included the $16 odd dollars for postage.
    The Sigma flash won't fire when it's on the camera but I have been able to use it as a wireless slave with Nikon's Creative Light system. So I use the inbuilt flash as my master flash and the Speedlight and Sigma flashes as the wireless slaves.
    Nellie, I got a couple of those Grays Sigma flashes and they work fine on my D70s? Not sure it would not work on your D80. How are you using it as a wireless slave? I have mine via wireless triggers (ebay) , but you dont get the CLS system only all manual. How are you triggering your sigma?

Mick nice PP very Chuck Norris...LOL

MATT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mick....I`m just starting out the learning process with flash. Wow, very daunting, so much in it. I like your shot. It looks HDR`ish to me. You have the jacket on but where is the bike?
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mate im not gonna comment on the picture but im gonna give you a big wrap .. your style is unmistakable and probably one of the most unique on the site .. keep it up mate .. excellent work
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT View Post
    Nellie, I got a couple of those Grays Sigma flashes and they work fine on my D70s? Not sure it would not work on your D80. How are you using it as a wireless slave? I have mine via wireless triggers (ebay) , but you dont get the CLS system only all manual. How are you triggering your sigma?

Mick nice PP very Chuck Norris...LOL

MATT
    Originally Matt I consulted the colleague whom I bought the Speedlight from, who advised me to buy a Nissin Slave shoe. I couldn't find one anywhere (because they don't make them anymore) I got my son to pick up a Minicell Slave Unit from Paxton's City store. I had to wait to this weekend to try it but in the mean time I had worked out how to use my Speedlight off camera by putting my flash settings in commander mode and setting the inbuilt flash as my Master flash and the Speedlight as Group A on channel 3. I then thought I would try setting the Sigma Flash as Group B and it worked. I can't use the Sigma flash on Auto at all - I use the mode that has the "SL" in it.
    So I have rung my son and asked him to exchange the Minicell unit for a stand like the Nikon AS-19 and some coloured gels and hopefully I'll be cookin'.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Yes, its a lot of fun but wow, a real eye opener as to how much there is to work out. And Old Dog, I was so close to getting a Harley once. Had permission from the better half but then things came up and it never happened. Oh well, I live in hope.

As for Gels, this is the very very cheap option that I took. A swatch book full of every colour you could ever want. Just tape one on the from of your speedlite and away you go. Cost something like $3.00.

OOOOH, just noticed that scratch on the newish table....Heads will have to roll!!!
    Last edited by Mick; 28-05-2009 at 11:26pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    I can't use the Sigma flash on Auto at all - I use the mode that has the "SL" in it.
    Can I ask what model flash it is? I cant find SL in mine.. I have the ef-430 super
    's.

regards
    matt

Edit : Found it ... Thats an added bonus.. I think you will find it is being triggered by the flash its self, not from the commander in any way.. similar to the Nikon sb-800's SU-4 mode, optical trigger.
    Last edited by MATT; 02-06-2009 at 10:46am.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think you are right Matt. It goes off when the inbuilt flash that I use as the Master is triggered.
    I've got lots to learn yet and I hope to do some of that when I do yet another course at the School I work at - they have started a Community Evening College. The next course is on Flash Photography.