User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Mick's off camera flash. The early years.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mick's off camera flash. The early years.

OK, so I'm using two 430exII's off camera. Very very new to it but wow, I'm looking forward to big things. Its so much fun but wow, so much to learn. Got a little swatch book of gels from B&H, taped on on one of the flash heads and gave it a try. Got one flash shooting in to silver umbrella reflecting back on me as main light. The gelled storbe behind me for mood lighting. I know its rough but hey, I'm having fun and its a start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really liking the painting feel you are getting with your processing on these Mick

Well Done
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick,

I'm at about the same stage as you I think...Just starting to play. I have a 580EX II and a 420EX that I run off flash with a STE2 transmitter.

What are you using?

I have been over to the strobist blog and gone into brain overload with everything there is to learn.. but agree with you.. what a lot of fun. I don't think I'll ever take an on camera flash photo again

Good luck with it all
    Pete
    Canon EOS1000, Canon 300D plus crappy kit lenses, Canon 40D, Canon 5dMkII
    Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Canon 24-105 EF f/4L IS USM
    Canon 50mm EF f1.2/L USM, Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX APO Macro DG, Canon 70-300 EF f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

all shared with my lovely wife (except for the 5DMKII)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mark. I ran a bit of Lucisart over this shot. havent used Lucis much of late. My otgher stuff is pretty much hand made.

Cheers Pete. Hell yea, its fun alright. And whoa, I totally agree with brain overload statement. I'm using a 580EXII on camera to fire two 430EXII's off camera. Got me two light stands with umbrellas now too. I feel like a real pro, now just got to work out how to start looking pro when I drag em all out lol. I got a long way to go.

Mick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick, I always like looking at your work. Just my first flash (580 EXII) the other day. Plan to eventually play with off camera a bit but not sure if I'll end up with a slave flash anytime soon.

Good to see you're having fun
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep your processing is unmistakbly you - as is yourself too ! Hope you're having fun with the flash unit :P
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work Mick. You've got a couple of hot spots from the bare speedlight, but (especially with your signature processing) they fit with the mood and the rest of the lighting looks really good.

I also got a couple of umbrellas and stands recently and I'm loving playing with them, but whoa, is there a lot to learn when it comes to strobism!
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR