User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New 'DVD' - 2000 movies! (Aussie Scientists)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 'DVD' - 2000 movies! (Aussie Scientists)

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html

SCIENTISTS have unveiled new DVD technology that stores data in five dimensions, making it possible to pack more than 2000 movies onto a single disc.

A team of researchers at the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia, have used nanotechnology to boost the storage potential nearly 10,000-fold compared to standard DVDs, according to a study published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature.
    Now that's what I need for a backup device
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where will it all end Kym? I know......never. Mindblowing stuff. Knowledge, like time and the universe is neverending. How lucky are we to be witnessing it even though it lightens our wallets all too often. I wonder how long before this dvd hits the shelves?
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quoting from another forums: around 5 years

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh yes - nanotech hmmm

Today I recieved a warning through the Electrical Industry Safety Steering Committee (ISSC) regarding nanotech which at present time is starting to be thought of as the new "asbestos". Nanotech is going to be a highly sought after technology in the electrical industry - especially in the high voltage trasmission. Its also being considered in the tech for flame retardant clothing, another issue very important to workers involved with high voltage equipment.

The warnings were based on the sizing of carbon nano-tubes (fullerines and buckyballs) and carbon sheet in single atom thickness in fibres possibly having the same effect on the human body (especially the lungs) as asbestos fibres and therefore causing injury which brings on such diseases as mesothelioma (sp?).