Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS CS4 Educational Version ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS CS4 Educational Version ??

I just found this ...

Who may purchase and use Education Editions?
    Anyone using the product for home or educational use. NO STUDENT ID IS REQUIRED. Full or part-time students enrolled at Higher Education establishments defined as accredited public or private university or college that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of six (6) months study OR students enrolled at an accredited public or private school providing full-time instruction.

Now does the bold bit mean any regular joe can buy an educational version as long as its only used at home and not comercially ??
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    certainly sounds like it, but WHERE did you find that information. Adobe site, or a third party? I would definitely check direct with Adobe if it isn't
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe:

"
    Appropriate identification

The Adobe Academic Reseller Authorization requires resellers to authenticate qualified educational end users according to the following policies for appropriate identification. This information is part of the signed agreement between Adobe and the reseller.
    Individual
    1. Definition. For a Purchase by an Individual, Appropriate Identification means:
      • Clear, readable copies of the following documents: A current, valid photo identification and valid evidence of current enrollment at or employment by an Educational Entity. Examples include, without limitation: School photo identification card that includes date validating current status; or
      • School photo identification or driver's license or other official photo identification with corroborating evidence including but not limited to: faculty or staff paycheck stubs; student course curriculums or tuition bill with a valid date and printed with the Educational Entity logo or seal; an official letter from the registrar of the Educational Entity; or
      • For K–12 students only: when the above-listed Appropriate Identification is not available, an official letter from a teacher at the Educational Entity verifying the student's right to order Educational Software Products; or
      • Such other identification as permitted by Adobe from time to time by posting a list of such Appropriate Identification on its website
    2. Validity. Each identification provided to Reseller shall be valid for a period of time not to exceed one (1) year from the date that the Appropriate Identification was actually furnished to Reseller, or, if applicable, the expected graduation date for the Individual, whichever is less."

So, me thinks ID is needed and the reseller may being a bit naughty.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free Photoshop...

If you have a CS3/4 license at work you are allowed to install it once at home.
    Adobe have what used to called a 'book' license; i.e. if you have a book at work and take it home you still only have one licensed copy in use at a time. So if you have it at work and have it at home and only once copy of the two is being used at any point in time - all goodness.

Talk to your friendly IT manager!

Refer section 2.4 of the Adobe EULA http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/...60817_1651.pdf
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Free Photoshop...

If you have a CS3/4 license at work you are allowed to install it once at home.
    Adobe have what used to called a 'book' license; i.e. if you have a book at work and take it home you still only have one licensed copy in use at a time. So if you have it at work and have it at home and only once copy of the two is being used at any point in time - all goodness.

Talk to your friendly IT manager!

Refer section 2.4 of the Adobe EULA http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/...60817_1651.pdf
    This depends on how it is licensed at your work, if you have a single install copy you should be right doing this but if your company has a site or company licence then as far as I am aware it can only be installed on computers that belong to your work place.

Paul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where where you got that from Darren.

I purchased CS3 Educational Version, there is no activation key inside the package, there is a form that had to be filled out and sent to Adobe.
    To be included on the form was Valid ID and proof of eligability for educational use. Student ID card from a Uni, School ID for High Scholl students etc.

There was a warning on the pack that stated that if purchased and you were not elligible for a code then NO refund would be forthcoming, we were also warned about this at the time of purchase.
    Educational versions of Adobe software MAY NOT be used for commercial purposes, so if your photography is a business you are not allowed to use the education version for the business.
    I would be very carefull in purchasing if not able to provide adequate proof.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    Not sure where where you got that from Darren.

I purchased CS3 Educational Version, there is no activation key inside the package, there is a form that had to be filled out and sent to Adobe.
    To be included on the form was Valid ID and proof of eligability for educational use. Student ID card from a Uni, School ID for High Scholl students etc.
    And thats all folks ... Thanks Mark. It certainly didnt make sense to me. If this was the case , how the hell would Adobe ever sell a full retail version ??

Thanks guys .. Just wanted to reaffirm what i thought I already knew

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbphotographytas View Post
    This depends on how it is licensed at your work, if you have a single install copy you should be right doing this but if your company has a site or company licence then as far as I am aware it can only be installed on computers that belong to your work place.
    Not quite. Site rule 15 notwithstanding IANAL...
    Section 2.5 covers that. But with volume licensing the 2nd copy still applies but the 2nd install must be for the benefit of the business. Which means it can be installed on home hardware as long as the use if for the benefit of the business. What does that mean? I'm learning new features or techniques at home then the business benefits!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an absolute can of worms this one is.

If one has a look for the conditions of use on an Australian retail site they give the example that student editions cannot be used for commercial purposes but then go on to say later in the page that students or teachers who buy the educational version can use it for commercial purposes.
    They then provide a link to Adobe UK that says much the same thing.

Australian retailer.

Adobe UK FAQs

Obviously the educational versions are a lot more expensive than the student versions so are they actually saving any money over the normal retail price?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. Now I am working at a training college I am eligible, as I do training and admin. Have ordered CS4 suite for under $400, a good bargain I think.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The irony of this is that on Monday, I will get a useless laptop - thanks to Prime Minister Krudd and his Digital Education Revolution.

We don't want it, need it nor will we have much use for it.

And, I get yet another copy of PS CS4. (this will make 3)

Yippee!
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser engineIT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    I just found this ...

Who may purchase and use Education Editions?
    Anyone using the product for home or educational use. NO STUDENT ID IS REQUIRED. Full or part-time students enrolled at Higher Education establishments defined as accredited public or private university or college that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of six (6) months study OR students enrolled at an accredited public or private school providing full-time instruction.

Now does the bold bit mean any regular joe can buy an educational version as long as its only used at home and not comercially ??

Hi all, I sell these all day

just to clarify:

There are 3 licences for adobe cs4 boxed products. the features of all versions are the same. the manuals are on the disk in most cases or printed.

STUDENT: total of 1 install. cheapest ones.. can only be installed by submitting your ID issued to you from the dept of education. eg uni or tafe or school ID card. these range from all the cs4 suites, flash, photoshop and dreamweaver.

EDUCATION: total 2 installs. a few hundres dollars more.. no id is required although these are to be used for personal, academic, gov use.

COMMERCIAL: total 2 installs. most expensive.. for commercial use. no id required.

scott
    www.engineIT.com.au
    0410 697 399
    Scott
    engineIT.com.au

skype. engine_it
    phone. 02 9521 8010
    mobile. 0410 697 399

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it all reeks of rip-off. If they can afford to sell it to one section of the community at one price then that should be the price or at least just home and commercial versions and it is about time s/ware company's realised that if they charged a reasonable price for their s/ware pirating would reduce by a significant amount. Even Microsoft have dropped the student version and now call it home use.
    PS Scotty I know where you could find a home for that useless laptop and CS4
    Last edited by Speedway; 07-09-2009 at 5:33pm.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    To me it all reeks of rip-off. <snip>
    Adobe = rip off - nooooo

They are very expensive ! But are the market leader so we get stuck with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    To me it all reeks of rip-off. .. Even Microsoft have dropped the student version and now call it home use.
    aye they dropped the Teacher & Student vers it because businesses were buying it on the cheap. They took out "Outook", replaced it with "One note" and called it home & student.

Hopefully people won't abuse the adobe range otherwise we may see features cut from their academic range down the track..

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by engineIT View Post
    Hi all, I sell these all day

just to clarify:

STUDENT: total of 1 install. cheapest ones.. can only be installed by submitting your ID issued to you from the dept of education. eg uni or tafe or school ID card. these range from all the cs4 suites, flash, photoshop and dreamweaver.
    my understanding is that when you purchase a student version, you need to supply a student photo ID to the retailer/or adobe to get the license code? Is that right ? When you install the software, do you need to register a name for the product or is the license key all that I required ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quote: my understanding is that when you purchase a student version, you need to supply a student photo ID to the retailer/or adobe to get the license code? Is that right ? When you install the software, do you need to register a name for the product or is the license key all that I required ?

yes when you purchase student versions, you can start using it for 30 days. Within the 30 days you need to submit a photo and student id to adobe via fax or email. Within about 24-48 hours adobe send you the activation code to keep it going..

you are correct you just need the license key. Registering your name isn't part of the activation, its generally for marketing purposes and product newsletters etc.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh ok .. so initially I dont even need the key to get it up and running in the first instance and just need to have the license key by the time the 30 days runs out .. So if you know a full time student who will provide an ID, theres nothing stopping average Joe buying a student version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    ....And, I get yet another copy of PS CS4. (this will make 3)

Yippee!

hey Scotty ... Send me a copy

Chook

R.IP Alan. You will be missed!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Academic Version

I have the Academic version of CS4 and it only needed the serial..no activation at all unlike the other varieties.....i am employed in a teaching institution and they bought it for me but is registered to me and i have it on my graphics PC and my laptop..dont know whether this helps or hinders..Alan!
    Canon Gear lenses tripod and enthusiasm "Photography is 90% good lighting and mostly the rest doesnt matter as long as it is in a 5 minute bracket morning and evening" regards Alan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast