User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: How Many Different USB Cables Do You Own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Many Different USB Cables Do You Own

Why cant they make 1 standard USB cable?

In our house with 3 of us we have my Pentax , my wife's Canon point and shoot, 3 different mobile phones and card readers all with there own USB Cables, none of which seem to work with each other!!

They even look the same ,same size and everything which makes it a guessing game to pick the right one.

Anyone else find the same?Maybe we can start a action group?

The only consultation is when it comes to Battery Chargers it,s worse.

Thanks for listening Prang
    Peter

am wanting to learn, please feel free to rework my photos

Pentax K7 / Cosina 24mm f 2.8 mc / Pentax M 50mm f 1.4/ SMC Tokina M 135mm F2.8/ Pentax 17-70mm F4.0/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree totally with you. I dont know how many there are in my house, but what I do know is that whenever you open a draw, you will always find a USB cable.
    There are just to many to count. I also have 4 in my car, all phone charges for different phones as well
    Last edited by bigbikes; 19-05-2009 at 10:49pm.
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three that fit my D80. One that came with it, one from Julies canon P&S and another from a little photo keyring thingy she got for mums day. I`m happy.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one for the Canon, one for the fuji, one for the kids P&S, one for my mp3 player, and one for my sons mp3 player, one for the photo keyring that I got for christmas, one for my phone, one for hubbys phone, one for 1st sons and one for 2nd sons phone... I made little sticky labels and taped them to each of them with the name of the thing it goes with just so I dont get them mixed up!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always found that they were the same, just different lengths. As long as the plug fits in the device they all seem to work with each other. Must be just lucky I guess?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many phone manufacturers have got together and there will be a common system for charging coming out which uses a micro usb cable, so I guess thats a start towards some kind of standardization.

Extract from a news article on Cnet:
    "The Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP) -- a forum dominated by networks but including manufacturers such as Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and LG -- announced that its members had agreed on micro-USB as the future common connector."
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 6 USB connector types...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Types_of_USB_connector

But phone companies also do their own non standard ones at the phone end.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My USB B cables (little oblongy end) all seem to be interchangeable, I use the one from the Canon for the media card reader or the external disj drive OK. Ditto with the USB A cables (the big squarish ended ones).
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of the 6 common ones that I use in my work mainly but I hate devices (mainly mobile phones) that use non standard ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 - canon - kodak p&S, printer - not sure if the printer ones different as I havent unplugged it. Mobile phones for some reason never came with a cable
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have so many usb cables and so many chargers.

5 kids and my partner and I, It gets messy
    Site: DzR Photography
    Flickr: Flickr

Camera: Sony A350 DSLR
    Lenses: 18-70mm, 55-200mm, 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, Minolta 35-70mm f4, Tamron 17-50 2.8
    Flash: Sony HVLF42AM
    Tripod: 190xPROB, 488RC4
    Memory: Sandisk Extreme 200x CF
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 + RAW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    Many phone manufacturers have got together and there will be a common system
    As I understand it, they did this after the European Commission banged their heads together and said "we have had enough of this selfish, greedy mania for making customers spend extra money and waste precious resources to buy a zillion different, incompatible chargers at inflated can't-buy-it-from-the-competition prices. Sort it out between yourselves or we will make you feel sorry you didn't".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miaow View Post
    I have 3 - canon - kodak p&S, printer - not sure if the printer ones different as I havent unplugged it. Mobile phones for some reason never came with a cable

Yeah ....why dont mobiles come with them, mine didn't and for the life of me cant get one to fit the itsy bitsy port on the phone....and a dongle I bought is useless it seems

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    As I understand it, they did this after the European Commission banged their heads together and said "we have had enough of this selfish, greedy mania for making customers spend extra money and waste precious resources to buy a zillion different, incompatible chargers at inflated can't-buy-it-from-the-competition prices. Sort it out between yourselves or we will make you feel sorry you didn't".
    What about 'chipped' printer cartridges? HP & Canon are crooks in this area.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you look at it, what Tannin said "spend extra money and waste precious resources"
    it is criminal that so much stuff is just wasted, imagine if we had 2 USB's the big one and the little one and you could use them for all the gadgets.
    We could buy both separate and the gadget manufacturers wouldn't have to supply one each time.

Let's hope.

Cheers Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just love the technical talk,keep up the good work.
    KeithD