Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: saving as raw and jpeg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saving as raw and jpeg

Hi there,
    I an really new to dslr and tried saving some photos yesterday as raw and jpeg, when I transferred to my computer it only showed up as 1 photo with jpeg wrote underneath, I can't find any raw ones is this normal, I wanted to fix them up in lightroom.
    Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How did you save them to your PC? Lightroom creates a "library" and you need to import them into lightroom to be able to see them.

The easiest way is to start lightroom and have it find your card-reader (with card in it) and let it import, tag and catalogue the photos in one go.

But now they are on your pc, you still need to tell lightroom to import them into its Library, so it can access the files
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Rick,
    I was just having a read on the net, I have a sony a300 and I think that maybe light room and sony have a bit of an issue, I just opened one of the photos in photoshop, then went into light room and it was there but it still said jpeg? Have you heard anything about sony and light room?
    Thanks Andrea

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah,. sorry. Maybe one of our Sony users can assist.

So in the folder where you put the files, are there the RAW files and the JPG or just the JPG?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Rick,
    I already had some files saved on my card as jpeg and then set it up take photos as jpeg and raw without deleting the earlier jpeg files, in the folder they only show as jpeg, I can't see any as raw at all, mind you I am not very crash hot on the computer so maybe they are there somewhere, my hubby normally does all that sort of thing for me. I am thinking maybe I should empty all pics off my card and start again. What do you reckon?
    Andrea

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure on that one Andrea. I suppose it depends on how Sony's work.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one thing to check, when doing the same thing with Nikon cameras and their own software there is an option within the the menu system to download either jpeg, raw, or both.

If the right boxes aren't ticked I end up with exactly the situation you have Andrea, might be worth having a look through the options system of lightroom.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Just one thing to check, when doing the same thing with Nikon cameras and their own software there is an option within the the menu system to download either jpeg, raw, or both.

If the right boxes aren't ticked I end up with exactly the situation you have Andrea, might be worth having a look through the options system of lightroom.
    Yes I found this in the Canon software as well (Zoombrowser and DPP).

I also found the other day if you use the standard windows popup to download your photos, it ignores the raw files and only copies the jpgs. So for this reason I use my EOS utility to make sure it gets ALL the files.
    Mic
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the folder you put them in with My Computer (or Finder if you are using a Mac). It may just be Lightroom cannot 'see' the RAW files.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On your memory card there should be two types of files, One being Jpeg and the Other being .SRF (I think)

Thats what I get when I shoot in RAW + JPEG, I take the card out of my camera and copy onto the PC through a card reader.

Do you use a cable or the card to copy to the PC. Also when I first started using Adobe Raw, I had to update certain files to allow the SRF extension to work, may be the same for lightroom. I use CS3 and even the files in there would not recognize an SRF file. After updating it worked fine.
    Site: DzR Photography
    Flickr: Flickr

Camera: Sony A350 DSLR
    Lenses: 18-70mm, 55-200mm, 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, Minolta 35-70mm f4, Tamron 17-50 2.8
    Flash: Sony HVLF42AM
    Tripod: 190xPROB, 488RC4
    Memory: Sandisk Extreme 200x CF
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 + RAW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be worth your while to read these links. Adobe and lightroom issues with Sony SLR RAW files.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_al...7613324631308/

http://alphatracks.com/archives/110

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_al...7606798459785/

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your helpful answers guys, with your help we got it.