User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade time! ...thoughts on this if you wouldn't mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you thought about getting a faster hard disk for OS and current image processing and then having a 2nd for older photos. That way lightroom etc will run quicker as a lot of time is wasted in slow disk IO
    boggo.

feel free to fix my shots and send them back to me!

canon 5d2

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after a couple of days of loading stuff on and setting up a decent file system, I am happy to say my new system is up and running,.....CS4 etc runs soooo much better now. Ended up with a 250 HD for the OS and a 1 gig HD for data, , 4 gig of ram and with 2 external HD's for backup
    Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Now just gotta decide on a new monitor.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can I just add something Lani. How about asking if he can install a firewire card reader (CF format) into the PC as well. Faster file transfer than USB and now you are doing weddings that can only be a good thing.

EDIT - oops you have it already! - The PC that is - enjoy Lani
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Can I just add something Lani. How about asking if he can install a firewire card reader (CF format) into the PC as well. Faster file transfer than USB and now you are doing weddings that can only be a good thing.

EDIT - oops you have it already! - The PC that is - enjoy Lani
    Now you mention it Rick!!!!
    I actually do have a firewire card reader, and when Michael was setting it all up informed me there is nowhere to stick it, so to speak. I just assumed there would be as my current system has a firewire port.( Shouldn't have assumed anything .)
    Do you know if it can be added to the motherboard or is it too late?

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lani, the motherboard already has firewire on board I suspect, all you need is the header and bracket S/N:12CF1-1IE008-01R listed for this model board. If you are looking to make the jump and have CS4 (CS$ supports 64bit) it would be worth going to Vista ultimate 64 bit and an extra 4Gb Ram, it will fly, 64 bit Vista will also get over the 4Gb RAM limit of XP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    I don't think the Quad is of great value, better is a Dual - Quads don't deliver as much performance as you think. Most stuff does not use 2 cores, let alone 4. E8400 will deliver more for Adobe products.
    I agree, there aren't many applications that can use quad core technology and it's only good if you do a lot of multi-tasking. If you are going to spend around $300 for a CPU, go the E8500 or if you can, the E8600 (around $370). This should make Adobe products fly ........

Don't forget, you can claim it as a school item if you have kids
    Last edited by milspec; 19-06-2009 at 7:47pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Lani, the motherboard already has firewire on board I suspect, all you need is the header and bracket S/N:12CF1-1IE008-01R listed for this model board. If you are looking to make the jump and have CS4 (CS$ supports 64bit) it would be worth going to Vista ultimate 64 bit and an extra 4Gb Ram, it will fly, 64 bit Vista will also get over the 4Gb RAM limit of XP.
    Thanks Phil, I will give the pc place a ring and see if I can get hold of one.

Thanks for your thoughts milspec, but I already have the system. Wonder if furkids are eligible for the tax rebate?...guess they'd have to be enrolled in a school first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lani,
    this is 1st hand & my thoughts only.....
    I have a very similiar spec'd "engine" in my pC "Intel core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33ghz 1333FSB 4MB CACHE, 775 $315:" and do agree with comments that the Quad core processor doesn't really improve performance to a noticeable extent (to me at least) particularly when doing pShop stuff in isolation.

I am not sure how much RAm you are getting but if you can get say 4 gig or more (also suggest more cache space too)...I find that after any more than 18 layers in Photoshop the PC slows do considerably though I do allocate a decent amount of RAM for Photoshop too. I have 3 gig RAM only....I have been trying to do a bit of futuristic landscapes lately from old pano shots of brissy from a few years ago that I took. Twice now once the individual file size reach over 1 gig I have experienced very slow response times.

From what I can read in various responses I too am inclined to agree with a few other points noted ...but the underlying issue is MONEY & how much do you have to spend or willing to spend bearing in mind how quickly technology becomes obsolete.
    ???
    Anyway good luck.
    Kevin M
    "FNQ Bolter"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12