User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Cropping for macro shots (and other)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cropping for macro shots (and other)

I am always fascinated by the quality macro shots I have looked at, in particular those of insects. Not having delved into this yet, I am wondering about how much (if any) cropping is applied to those shots.

Generally speaking, when those shots are taken, is the main subject (eg the insect) taking up most of the viewfinder or is it only taking up a small portion of the viewfinder and the output photo is then cropped just to localise the macro shot? I hope this makes some sense, I'm not sure how to better phrase my question.

With general photography, is cropping mainly done to improve the composition of a photo and are there rules as to what dimensions the cropping be done to? And how does this cropping affect print output (i.e. would you have to physically trim a print because of the crop ratio you have used)?

Sorry for so many newbie questions!

Thanks Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting questions Scott. I am fairly new to macro but just tend to make it up as I go along. If you have 1:1 ratio lens then you should get good size image with lots of detail. I don`t seem to crop much out. Only for framing. Some great shots here I must agree.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my macro shots, some I crop for extra magnification, some just for composition, and some I don't crop at all. It all depends on what I want out of my photo. This is where having a few extra MP can come in handy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly crop for composition if needed, but like to try to get it right straight out of the camera. The extra pixels are nice so you have the option of cropping if needed.
    Greg
    1DmkIV + other stuff that sticks to the front. | Photogallery
    Clearly I'm cleverly disguised as a Responsible Adult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't talk about macro...don't do any yet ...but when it comes to cropping general shots, I will crop to improve composition ...I am gradually having to do this less. The aspect ratio of my crop is always chosen in consideration of the final output of the image. If just for web, then pretty much anything goes. If I am planning to have an image printed, then I will choose a standard aspect ratio ( 2:3, 4:5 etc) with the final size in mind that ensures my prints won't be cropped or 'zoomed' or have anything strange done to them by the printer to fit them to standard print sizes.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do macro only for a couple of years and can sa like most forms of photography one would only crop to improve grid composition, framing etc. Cameras with larger MP will allow you to crop further to bring up details from your shot but his will not improve things like DOF, poor perspective composition etc.

A general rule is to practice getting it right the first time in camera rather than later.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX