Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Try the other way around Aaron, looking at a few specs, the D200 is just a little bit heavier than a 5D.

Either way, hand holding most long lenses for any length of time takes its toll on your photography.

( the above may not apply if you are built like an Olympic weight lifter )
    Yes I totally agree, the monopod was the best thing I got to hep me with this.

Paul

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ppl go on and on about weight... i have the 150-500mm version of the siggy, its a bit heavier but mounted on a d40 with batterygrip so i am guessing body wise its about the same... I do regular 3-4 hour birding session with this with a sigma external flash on top, hand held...
    while you arent pointing the camera it hangs nicely from a shoulder strap cause lets face it, who sits there pointing a camera for 3 hrs straight? theres walking around, resting, waiting for stuff to happen, getting food, etc totake a break from holding the camera. the shoulder strap means you can walk comfortably for a couple of KM if you need to while carrying the camera.
    the OS on my camera genareally allows for me to shoot down to 1/100 hand held tho i have done a few 1/60 at 500mm that are sharp too, but that takes some steadying.

focus speed? hmm, well mine is f6.3 max at 500 so its good is its bright but falls off when the light does... the 120-400 would be quicker but still watch the light.

IQ, mine is good from f8 on and i am asuming the 400 would be too. mine is still usable "wide" open too but IQ does drop off a bit.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaahk cool beans

cheers for that guys,

also i've got the battery grip on the d200 aswell so that adds a bit more weight but its nothing i cant handle. i will most definatly buy a monopod when getting this lens then, sounds stupid hand holding every shot with the dam thing haha

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, let us know once you get it and what you think of it.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... I'm strongly considering buying a Sigma 120-400mm second hand. I'd love some more opinions on this lens if anyone else has one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering this lens myself for telefoto purposes beyond 100MM to 400MM because 300MM wont cut if for the birding and wildlife stuff I am eventually going to get into after I clean up the other end of the scale (10mm through to 100MM with three Sigma lenses: only got one so far).

Good luck with it.

PS: There is a Sigma 135MM-400MM which is heaps cheaper than the 120-400MM but I dont think it is EX or HSM..from memory.

I dont think Canon or Nikon will give you a 400MM + capable lens for anywhere near the price of the 'foreign' providers if $$$ is a key issue. You start shelling out serious money beyond 300MM with Canon from what Ive researched to date.

Cheers David
    Last edited by David; 12-06-2009 at 8:39pm.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922