Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External HD HELP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    You can post about equipment here, but if you are selling on the site and it is a commercial enterprise, you need a contract and pay for advertising. Members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot sell at all on the site. This includes selling via the PM system.
    No its not me selling but was just going to give a recommendation. Anyways looks like MCdesign has found her solution. I would say however MCdesign you need to look at either a Tape backup system that from my research was a very expensive option or look at the putting data on DVD which was time consuming or look at a Network attached storage system like has already been mentioned.

Since I can talk about what I got I will without mentioning names. The system I got was custom made it comes with 8 hotswap drive bays and runs raid 5 and the other raids. I chose raid 5 as I read it gives speed increases and a certain level of backup. When I can afford it I will get the guy to put a backup battery on the card so I have protection if there is a power failure. The unit he built has a port on the back that will allow me to connect another drive unit to it without the expensive PC,RAID cards and I have been told that I can run as many as 128 drives in it, who on earth would run that many I dont know but atleast I know this thing will grow with my requirements. Hey I can start putting my media center movies on it. I might tell him to register on here and do what he needs to do to advertise as I was looking for a while for a solution and looked at the drobos and lacies and the other units but this way I have something that will allow me to grow. Think I will eventually move my website inhouse and save some money on my web and email hosting stuff.

Anyways good luck MCDesign hope what happend to me with broken drive doesnt happen to you.

abcde10fghi
    Last edited by abcde10fghi; 19-05-2009 at 12:26pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks abc... I have used tapes in the past, they are painfull and a problem getting things off them I use an iMac so have the built in back up system, Time Machine, it is set and forget until the HD fills up. I have now bought the 2TB external, (1TB is now out of production) it has to be external because of the build of the iMac, it is totally integrated. I will be using the raid system to partition it...when I learn how!. Power wise I run everything through two UPS boards, so that isn't a problem.

Anyway, thankyou for your kind help.
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12