User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Why do I have black corners in my pics?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do I have black corners in my pics?

Hi - I was hoping someone could tell me why I'm getting black corners in some of my pics?

I was reviewing my pics from last weekend's trip to the Hunter Valley and noticed that some of my pics had black corners

I have a Nikon D70s, with a Nikkor AF 18-70mm lens. It seems like the ones I took from the hot air balloon were more likely to have the black corners, but a few other did too. I'm not sure what is causing it - I haven't seen it on my pics before and I can't think of any settings I used that I haven't used before.

Any help?
    Here are two pics showing the black corners at the top:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lens hood or a thick-rimmed filter in the way. If you zoom in slightly do the dark corners disappear?
    Olympus E-1
    Olympus E-510
    Zuiko 14-42 f3.5-5.6
    Zuiko 40-150 f4-5.6
    Zuiko 11-22 f2.8
    OM Zuiko 50 f1.8
    FL-50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - Peter is right that is how I sometimes get my corners.
    Olympus E-510 | Kit lenses Olympus 14mm- 42mm, 40mm- 150mm & newly acquired 50mm f/2
    Photoshop Elements 6 | Velbon Tripod |FL-36 Electronic Flash

Next on the hit list is Sigma 10mm - 20mm

Any comments and critique welcome.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilminsterpete View Post
    Lens hood or a thick-rimmed filter in the way. If you zoom in slightly do the dark corners disappear?
    No lens hood. But I did have a skylight UV filter on, and a polarising filter on top of that - so that might be it. Thanks for the suggestion and quick response - I'll experiment and see if I can confirm it.
    I don't know if zooming in slightly makes the corners disappear - I don't recall seeing the black corners when I took the pic, but it wouldn't be the first time I've taken a pic without scanning the entire scene carefully!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep. stacked screw on filters will do it, especially at the wide end of your lens zoom range. You can either remove the filter(s), or zoom a bit to stop it occuring
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bingo! there is your answer right there

u should not have had 2 filters on at the same time, it will lead to vignetting - which is what this occurance is called

having the skylight AND the polariser on at same time will degrade image quality, adds vignetting, and sometimes may confuse the metering system of the camera as there are more glasses affecting light in front of the lens.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the confirmation Ricktas, and thanks for the terminology JM Tran.

The camera salesman originally told me to buy the skylight filter and never take it off (it was solely to protect the lens according to the sales dude). I guess that means either removing the skylight filter or not using full zoom when I'm stacking filters. I'll do some googling and experimenting with both ways.

I think I love this place! Post a question and get helpful answers within an hour
    Nikon D70s / Nikkor 18-70mm / Nikkor 12-24mm / Tamron 90mm macro / SB600

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Re UV filters - have a read of this thread : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ead.php?t=7832