User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

View Poll Results: What type of camera bag do you use?

Voters
591. You may not vote on this poll
  • Back pack

378 63.96%
  • Shoulder bag

270 45.69%
  • Hard case

35 5.92%
  • Waist pack / bum bag

29 4.91%
  • Other

28 4.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of camera bag do you use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a second-hand Domke F2 (nice weathered look)

Such a good bag, Its obviously already been well used, but its so well made, there is absolutely no wear on it at all.

Fits everything easily and you can get to everything easily whilst its still on you shoulder.

Brand new they are expensive... but I reckon they'd be worth it as the will last forever
    www.tempo-e-luci.com

"time and light photography"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollen View Post
    When I'm going on a hike or holiday or trip, I use a Crumpler Whickey and Cox backpack. It is very poorly designed but it lets you stay low key (doesn't look like a camera bag) and is very secure as it can't be opened whilst it is on your back.

pollen what don't you like about the Whicky Cox? I was thinking about getting a crumpler backpack for when I do a little overseas travel later this year.

I have the exact same MDH as you and find it good, just don't feel it's too secure when travelling with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowepro Stealth reporter 300AW.

Been a good bag, but im out growing it. Lens and the 40d with battery grip is fine, but not enough room for the huge lens hoods for the 100-400mm IS & 10-22mm EFS lens.
    Looking to get an even bigger shoulder bag, magnum 400AW, Nova 200AW or maybe a slingshot 302 AW. I'll have to try some out before I buy.

Never had a problem carrying a shoulder bag, so why not reap the benefits!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to find a nice multipurpose bag where I can fit in a bunch of my gear and then just random non-photography things in another section when I go away on holidays.
    I have a Naneupro Adventure, but find this is far too large for holidays. It can't fit in most overhead luggage compartments and just too bulky in general to wear all day.
    So I'm trying to find something that fits a gripped body, and probably 2 or 3 'bigger sized' lenses. Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowepro flipside 300 does me.
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What type of camera bag do you use

Can't vote from my iPhone, but I use a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW that I'm thoroughly enjoying "growing into" as I buy more toys I've also used and loved my little Lowepro holster - fits just a cam and lens but it's great for a small day trip where you know which lens you need and don't mind being limited. Not sure what I'll do when I buy my gripped camera though, doubt it'll fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Darchangel (aka Pete)
    Please CC my images.

"Before judging a man, always walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him you're a mile away, and you have his shoes"

Canon 7D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, Visatech Solo monoblocks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently using a Tamrac Expedition 5, couple of years old now, but still does the job.
    Nikon D70s, Tamron 18 - 200mm kit lens, Tokina 80 - 400 ATX, Nikon Nikkor 50mm, SB-600, Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod, Gitzo Monopod, No-name tripod (dads old one that i stole for my flash)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinktank Airport Antidote

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I've looked at a lot of backpack style bags. I just can't see myself lugging one around.

Are they comfortable?
    I prefer a backpack because of the comfort. I find I get an aching shoulder if I have a sling or a shoulder bag on for any length of time but they are more convenient for lens changes (for those who can master doing it without putting their gear down). Also, a sling is not always the best choice for a female.

The backpack has a strap that goes around your waist. If you adjust this correctly all the weight is transferred to your hips which makes it much more comfortable IMO.

I have the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 which packs a decent amount of gear in it.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    pollen what don't you like about the Whicky Cox? I was thinking about getting a crumpler backpack for when I do a little overseas travel later this year.

I have the exact same MDH as you and find it good, just don't feel it's too secure when travelling with it.
    Hi Mike it's my go to bag for travelling because it doesn't look like a camera bag and it's near impossible for a pickpocket to unzip your stuff because the zippers face your back.

But the problems with it are it has excessively deep and hard to access external pockets, which are all but useless (your hand barely fits through the opening and its a nightmare trying to reach down and get a small item)

The lack of external pockets is a big problem

Also its very hard to access the camera if you place it near the bottom of the bag (very tight squeeze) yet if you put it near the top the hotshoe will gouge the bag material (I need to put a layer of padding or plastic between the hotshoe and bag material which is very annoying)

Also it's a pain in the bum to extract gear in a timely manner, like all backpacks, as you can imagine if trying to remove things whilst the bag is upstanding. Changing lenses is a pain in the bum for backpacks since you have to remove it and go through the whole motion each time you change a lens Shoulder bags have a distinct advantage here.

But backpacks are far easier to carry, this crumpler is VERY comfortable to carry (but does get heavy with long trips)

There's also a great review here http://photonotes.org/reviews/whickey-and-cox/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the Whickey Cox pioneered the rear entry bag I feel that Lowepro improved it with the Flipside series, particularly the Flipside 400.

The Flipside 400 is deep enough for a body with battery grip attached without the rubbing problem, lenses can be changed by shedding the shoulder straps and swivelling the bag round to the front on its belt strap, and the front pocket allows easy access with some storage room.
    If, like me, you get the Forest Green/Black version it takes away from the "Camera Gear Inside" look.

EDIT. The Flipside 300 is not as deep as the 400. The 400 is the only one with the AW all weather cover.
    Last edited by Bill44; 21-02-2010 at 3:17pm.
    regards
    Bill

Nikon D90 with grip. 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D. 18-105VR. 70-300VR
    SB-600. GF Lightsphere. Stroboflip flash bracket.
    Benro A357 & B2 ball head.
    and a bag full of gadgets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's my go to bag for travelling because it doesn't look like a camera bag and it's near impossible for a pickpocket to unzip your stuff because the zippers face your back.
    That's the main reason I like crumpler bags, they aren't obvious. I have to say most other brands all look camera bagish.

Also its very hard to access the camera if you place it near the bottom of the bag (very tight squeeze) yet if you put it near the top the hotshoe will gouge the bag material (I need to put a layer of padding or plastic between the hotshoe and bag material which is very annoying)

Also it's a pain in the bum to extract gear in a timely manner, like all backpacks, as you can imagine if trying to remove things whilst the bag is upstanding. Changing lenses is a pain in the bum for backpacks since you have to remove it and go through the whole motion each time you change a lens Shoulder bags have a distinct advantage here.

But backpacks are far easier to carry, this crumpler is VERY comfortable to carry (but does get heavy with long trips)
    Its good to hear about those problems, I was aware it wouldn't be a bag for quick lens changes but thats cool, I'm planning on doing a solo trip to Japan for 2 weeks so I'll have lots of time to get my gear shorted for anything I'd be shooting and it'd mainly be architecture and landscape anyway.

Thanks for the info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could get even 10% towards justifying a pressing need for one of these bags, I would get one of these in a heartbeat...

http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/tilopa

Does anyone out there have one??

Everyone I have read feedback from rates them so highly there is an even larger version too...(http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/satori)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abeluka View Post
    If I could get even 10% towards justifying a pressing need for one of these bags, I would get one of these in a heartbeat...

http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/tilopa

Does anyone out there have one??

Everyone I have read feedback from rates them so highly there is an even larger version too...(http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/satori)
    I have one of their Mala bag's, its great! I looked very hard for something that was practical for my uses and would be rugged enough. It wasn't that expensive in the end, I'd say it was the same price as my crumpler 7 MDH once the shipping was included. They are bringing out a smaller back pack soon as well which I am waiting for. I think it'll be a toss up between a crumpler back pack or fstops smaller back pack once its out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 5MDH from the promotion and hated myself! Should have got the strap, more practical, now struggling to offload it! and don't want to hit Ebay either!! ARGH

Ended up buying a 8MDH and W&C, can't wait to get my hand on the W&C!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a shoulder bag but have just purchased a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens and a Metz 48 AF-1 flash and now I can't fit everything in. So will be looking into a backpack or sling pack with a bit more room.
    Pentax K20D & Grip, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash, LowePro Flipside 300 backpack, Photoshop CS 5, Lightroom 3, Manfrotto Monopod & 498 RC2 Ball Head, GoldPhoto "Tracker" Tripod, Hoya CPL and UV filters, Yongnuo RF602 flash triggers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy with my flipside 400, fits my 7d with a grip and 24-105 attached, 70-200 2.8, 10-20, 17-70, 50 1.8 and flash, plus all the other bits and pieces.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    I am using the KATA DR-467 and very happy with it. The only thing missing would be a dedicated tripod holder, but the carry handle works o.k. though.

I also wouldn't mind a sling type bag that I can keep the camera and one or two lenses for when just out and about.
    Very much along the same lines as you. I have the Kata DR-465 and it suits my collection of small camera and lenses quite well. I too miss something to strap the tripod on but I do find the stupidly small drink holder in combination with the cinching strap (or whatever they call it) ideal for securing a monopod.

Likewise looking for a small shoulder bag for light outings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two bags, Lowepro Mini Trekker and a Lowepro Nova 190. Both bags very handy.

Dave.
    I point, i shoot, i cross my fingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been using a backpack which is comfortable and convenient. Just resumed my 2nd passion of 4wd'g and tending to use a hard case for travelling/driving and then backpack when I'm walking.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast