User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

View Poll Results: What type of camera bag do you use?

Voters
591. You may not vote on this poll
  • Back pack

378 63.96%
  • Shoulder bag

270 45.69%
  • Hard case

35 5.92%
  • Waist pack / bum bag

29 4.91%
  • Other

28 4.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of camera bag do you use

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two bags, Lowepro Mini Trekker and a Lowepro Nova 190. Both bags very handy.

Dave.
    I point, i shoot, i cross my fingers.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Very much along the same lines as you. I have the Kata DR-465 and it suits my collection of small camera and lenses quite well. I too miss something to strap the tripod on but I do find the stupidly small drink holder in combination with the cinching strap (or whatever they call it) ideal for securing a monopod.

Likewise looking for a small shoulder bag for light outings.
    You can always get some extra strapping attached at your local quality boot mender/key cutter.

Rucksack clips and webbing for the job will cost you less than $5 and the stich up about the same.

I custom many of my bags done this way and the job looks like it was done at the factory.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any sort of sling is bad for your health (if you travel/walk a lot). Backpack's are fine for long distance/time (or two or three weeks on the road). Any sort of hard case with wheels (and lock) is good for events.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Any sort of sling is bad for your health (if you travel/walk a lot). Backpack's are fine for long distance/time (or two or three weeks on the road). Any sort of hard case with wheels (and lock) is good for events.
    Works fine for me, I dont usually wear it for long periods of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its strange how many bags we actually end up with, at the beginning of this thread in May 09 i only had a Domke, now i have the same Domke, 2 Kata's and a lowepro, and stranger still i use each of them.

Everytime i got a new one to try i told myself i would sell the previous one, but i found there needs to be a different shape or size for different events...
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from a Hama packpack, and some small over the shoulder types I have also used a military style harness; its excellent for walk about type outings, with lots of large pockets and water bottle storage, as well as some smaller ones ideal for filters and batteries etc.
    I bought a 'modern' version which is made of good strong newage material.
    I believe its currently used by some units of the ADF, so really is bullet proof and comfortable.

If you really need to, you can wear a back pack as well without it getting in the way.
    Last edited by Blueywa; 30-04-2010 at 11:17pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking What type of camera bag do you use

Lowepro 400awFlipside. Only had it a short time and love it. The fact that it opens from the 'inside' makes it feel more secure. Turn it around at the waist to change lens without taking it off. Keeps it off the ground too. Fantastic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Lowepro Nova 190 AW shoulder bag. It has plenty of room at the moment for my 500D with 2 lenses and will still be big enough when Santa gives me a new flash.

Mick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-using a bag for a different reason!

Greetings guys.
    As everyone probably has, I have a few smaller bags hanging around that were no good when a new lens was purchased.

As it was a bit wet, I was wondering how to protect the Nikon D300s with the Sigma 150-500 zoom attached if it started raining.

My eyes alighted on a Lowepro slingshot 200 and I cut out the top dividing padding and, yes, I was able to fit the lens and camera into it (after reversing the hood).

Of course it didn't rain, but now I am able to use what I thought was wasted money!

Have a great day, and don't let it grate on you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a Lowepro Mini Trekker with my canon 28-105mm lens purchase off ebay

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenityGate View Post
    Greetings guys.
    As everyone probably has, I have a few smaller bags hanging around that were no good when a new lens was purchased.

As it was a bit wet, I was wondering how to protect the Nikon D300s with the Sigma 150-500 zoom attached if it started raining.
    That's an interesting thought. I have the Nikon D90 and Sigma 150-500 and the same problem but am loath to give my Kata DR-465 the chop. The edge of the divider between the two halves limits the movement of the zip for the lower part and I would not be able to open and close the bottom part as well.

I have found my well padded laptop backpack is just big enough for the job but I need to get a foam insert to stop the thing from falling over. I am looking for something more suitable.

I seem to recall someone making a convertable pack where the mid-divider is removable. Cannot remember who it is so if anyone knows, please post.

The D90 and mounted 150-500 is about 330mm but most 2-part bags and flip style bags only allow for around 300mm.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Crumpler 7 million. Good size for D300s and three lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, my wife just doesn't get why I need so many bags (I think I'm well under control when I see some other bag junkies)...

My favourites are the:

Lowepro Classified 250aw
    Loewpro Classified 160aw

I generally use the above when walking about and need easy access to gear (e.g. battery change, lens change). Both of these are magic for carry on especially the 250 as it also has provision for my laptop.

Kata 3N1-33 which I have only recently acquired and still not quite sure about it yet, I like the tripod/monopod holder - it's a little uncomfortable when loaded (2x bodies, 2x lenses, Monopod, batteries and bits). Way too heavy when the 15" laptop is also onboard. I can put up with it when I have the gear out and in use as it's only containing spare batteries, another lens and bit's and pieces. I would hate to walk around all day with my full kit in this.

Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650AW - this is my garage for stuff in-frequently used.

Lowepro Super Trekker AWII - this is a beast and seldom used any longer, it's just BIG and obnoxious!

Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW - handy when I need 1x body with attached lens, spare battery and flash - this is for light travel.

Lowepro Deluxe Waistbelt and various lens cases.

Ok, I think upon reflection I may have a problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgrade recently to a backpack again, I got the Lowepro Vertex 100 AW, nice and small and compact, fits all my gear very nicely, and will fit my planned upgrades to 24-70L to replace my 18-50 2.8 and additional 5D MkII body (keeping the 40D as 2nd body)... and it will even fit my 15.4" Macbook Pro in the laptop slot with a little bit of effort (main issue is the corners round off at the top, so you have to pull the corners over the top corners of the laptop, depth of the slot is fine...

This is an upgrade from my Lowepro Classified 250AW, which i was sick of having all the weight on one shoulder, and also having to stack lenses on top of each other in the same slot to fit them all in... otherwise its a great bag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    I am using the KATA DR-467 and very happy with it. The only thing missing would be a dedicated tripod holder, but the carry handle works o.k. though.
    +1 here; I think there is a 467i version which has an external tripod holder built in. The 467 range has a small compartment up top for a lunchbox/gear as well which is very useful for me. I prefer having my hands free and I don't feel that the shoulder bags offer me that (for me, anyway).

When I eventually get another body, I'll need to look at a bag which can hold both bodies, but that's still a while off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a lot of gear yet, so I use this one from Case Logic http://www.caselogic.com/medium_slr_...ductid=1347180
    I liked the way this one has a hammock that suspends the camera, lens-down, in mid air in the centre of the case, for excellent protection.
    I only have the one lens so far (which is on the camera), so the two side pockets hold the speedlite in one, and the remote control, puffer bulb, and wallet of filters in the other.
    The front pocket has the microfibre cloth, and the rear pocket has the spare batteries for both camera & flash, and the connection cable for the computer.
    In the bottom of the case below the suspended camera is the manual, and a lens hood.
    It wouldn't suit a professional, or anyone with a heap of gear, but it's small and manageable for most day trips etc. It cost about $90 at Myers from memory.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 23-10-2011 at 10:43am.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one I use at the moment is the Lowepro flipside 400. Nice comfortable bag to carry round plenty of room and if worn properly you can slide it round on your waist to access gear. The security is great as the main opening is against your back.
    Let the camera do the work not the software!!
    CC on my Photos is most welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Lowepro Fastpack 200. I can fit all my gear into it and there's still room for my lunch in the top compartment and a drink holder net on the outside. The best part of the Fastpack is that you can swing it around the left shoulder strap to get the camera in or out without needing to take it off. I find this backpack to be really comfy and well padded.
    I was initially going to get the 250, but when I tried it on the laptop section seemed to make it too big and heavy. I also didn't need the waist straps of the 250. The 200 is perfect for my needs.
    Last edited by Fabz; 15-02-2010 at 3:50pm.
    Fabz

Canon 7D
    Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm f1.8II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowepro Dryzone 200 and Lowepro Mini Trekker AW.
    Osprey Photography

Canon: 5D Mk II, 40D, 10D all gripped, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro and other assorted accessories.

Some stalk, some chase and some pursue... but I hunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of walking involved - LowePro Flipside 400AW
    Otherwise - Crumpler 5MDH and 7MDH (depending on amount of equipment needed)
    1D MkIII | 5D | 17-40 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | 35 f/1.4L | 135 f/2L

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast