User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

View Poll Results: What type of camera bag do you use?

Voters
591. You may not vote on this poll
  • Back pack

378 63.96%
  • Shoulder bag

270 45.69%
  • Hard case

35 5.92%
  • Waist pack / bum bag

29 4.91%
  • Other

28 4.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of camera bag do you use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Kata DR-466 backpack...it seems to be pretty good for me atm But may be looking for a more 'secure' one, as I am going on a boat cruise early next year. Possibly one with the openings against your back, instead of on the outside... what do you think ? Is there more secure ones out there ? I must admit, I only thought about this last night, so haven't really had a look around yet. But I will look up some of the ones mentioned here.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Tamrac expedition 8 which is large and fits all of my stuff in. Very large bag bit worth it.

I also have a smaller case logic bag that I take on planes as it fits a good selection of gear and also fits in carry on luggage.
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You left out the best sort of bag! And the gravy!

Where is the tick-box for a hybrid bag - waist belt and shoulder strap? Shame, shame, shame!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked at a lot of backpack style bags. I just can't see myself lugging one around.

Are they comfortable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently picked up Lowepro compurover for tramping around carnarvon gorge but before that the slingshot 200.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mountainsmith Odyssey
    Lowepro Minitrekker
    Tamrac Adventure 8
    Tamrac Adventure 2
    www.awayfromitall.zenfolio.com

"...in Wildness is the preservation of the world...in short, all good things are wild and free..." Henry David Thoreau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    I've looked at a lot of backpack style bags. I just can't see myself lugging one around.

Are they comfortable?

In my opinion the most comfortable would be the backpack type bags. They're just inconvenient with access. And I guess it's fairly common to say that if the camera isn't out of the bag it's not going to be taking photos.

So if I take the full kit, I generally try and avoid it on most ocassions, but if I take the full bag I have to remember to take the camera out and put it around my neck before I take off on my walk. Unless I know for sure I won't be needing it/ or the terrain is too rough.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    In my opinion the most comfortable would be the backpack type bags. They're just inconvenient with access. And I guess it's fairly common to say that if the camera isn't out of the bag it's not going to be taking photos.

So if I take the full kit, I generally try and avoid it on most ocassions, but if I take the full bag I have to remember to take the camera out and put it around my neck before I take off on my walk. Unless I know for sure I won't be needing it/ or the terrain is too rough.
    That is the issue I had so I went for my waist / shoulder pack, much easier to get in to.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually backpack is good for use, but it is not so convenience as shoulder pack when you want to change lens and take some accessories.

So when i go outdoor, if only the body and 3 lens and flash, i prefer the shoulder pack.

If have to move outdoor with two body and more than 3 lens, it should be backpack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using the KATA DR-467 and very happy with it. The only thing missing would be a dedicated tripod holder, but the carry handle works o.k. though.

I also wouldn't mind a sling type bag that I can keep the camera and one or two lenses for when just out and about.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two backpacks...

Lowepro Orion Trekker II (medium) http://products.lowepro.com/product/...II,1989,14.htm
    Tamrac Expedition 7 (big) http://www.tamrac.com/5587.htm

The Tamrac has all my gear in it and I only take it on big trips (10+kgs fully loaded).
    The Lowepro I pack with what I need for a shoot if not taking the whole kit.

For the Tassie trip next year I'll bring both.
    As we will have our car - the Tamrac keeps everything in one place safe and the Orion is good for specific bits during the day.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most the time, I use a LowePro Stealth Reporter 400 shoulder bag. Easy access - great for events, weddings, gigs etc where you need quick access to your kit. Fits 2 bodies, and 4+ lenses. It has the added bonus of a quick access zip at the top to grab your camera out at a moment's notice.

I also occasionally use a LowePro Mini Trekker backpack - especially for hiking trips or holidays where I don't need such quick gear access.

I find the backpack more comfortable, but the ease of gear access wins hands down with the shoulder bag for anything where I may need to change lenses in a hurry.

Tim
    Photography by Tim Wilson
    http://www.earthairfire.com

Canon EOS-5D Mark II | 70-200/2.8L IS | 17-40/4L | 100/2.8 Macro | 50/1.8 | 580EX | 420EX |

Note on critique: Please feel free to rip my pics to shreds - I can take it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a hard case, back pack or shoulder bag depending on the occasion =)
    C & C always welcome / Matte Mac User / Leica M2 - M8 - 28mm 2.8 Elmarit ASPH / Voigtlander 35mm 2.5 Skopar / Sony NEX-5 - 16mm 2.8 - 18-55 Kit - A mount adaptor - 30mm Macro / Rayqual E-mount to Leica M adaptor

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agree Dan, there is no silver bullet when it comes to camera storage.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    agree Dan, there is no silver bullet when it comes to camera storage.
    Tell me about it, I could easily have two hard cases, a back pack and a shoulder bag

host
    Lowepro Mini Trekker AW when going out on a hike
    If it's just around the city a Crumpler 6 Million $ shoulder bag.
    I'd like to get another bag but I'm sure I'd get into trouble

sixty5
    Vanguard Back pack. Looking to switch to a hard case. Kind of sick of the back pack to be honest. A change will be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowepro Mini Trekker. Looked at many before settling on this not too big but roomy for plenty of gear and airline friendly for carry on and slipping under seat for easy/secure storage. For street work carry the cam and a few accessories in a smaller shoulder bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly you will end up with several bag's every day's shoot brings a different choice of lenses.
    Be it for weather, conditions or locality & with that comes the bag to suit the days choice.

Wal'
    PENTAX K20D+Grip, K200D+Grip, K100D, SF7, 540 Flash, Benro C298N6 Tripod, Velbon PH-273QL B/Head + a few lenses

be kind to other people........ they...............outnumber you........................6 billion - to - one

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For much of the photography (amateur) I do I just tend to take out the one lens with the camera attached in a Lowepro Mini Trekker or their largest Lowepro TLZ. Since I can't get a holster locally for the 400mm, I use the case that it comes in as the holster.

Recently I found this site where it appears I can get a holster for the 400mm f/5.6 with the 40D mounted:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_DH_compare.html

Mostly, now days I do take out a Berghaus 45L Pack which takes all my gear and the tripod.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast