Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trigger for off camera flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trigger for off camera flash.

Hi All. I've got a 580 exII at the moment but I'm going to be getting another flash soon. Either another 580 or a 430. My next question is what sort of trigger is the best to get. I want one that just slips in to the hot shoe and will be able to fire both flash's.

Cheers......Mick.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does you camera have a commander mode if so you won't need a trigger. Margaret
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think so Margaret. Its a 400D. I know the 580 can fire another flash but want to have two off camera.

Mick.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Nikon D90 can fire two at once through the commander mode, I am not familiar with the Canon cameras. Do a search for one on google, you might find what you need from D-D-Photographics or www.qualitycamera.com.au, (site advertisers) they specilalise in Canon gear I think. Margaret

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick, there are quite a few items out there for triggering flash units remotely. They range from cheap and cheerful to industry standard extremely expensive.
    If you google "cactus flash triggers" you will find quite a few opinions on their reliability and usefulness and they are at the inexpensive end of the scale.
    At the top end of the scale are probably the pocket wizards which offer seemingly unlimited control over driving off camera flash.
    I have been using cheap and cheerful eBay sourced units to fire monobloc heads and so far they haven't failed to fire the units ---- but sometimes they have a habit of firing them before they are meant to. Might be a radio frequency issue with them receiving unintentional signals.

Links -----

Cactus flash triggers

Drangon Image flash triggers

Studio Works
    flash trigger

Pocket Wizard flash triggers.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want TTL to control the flashes' power output then get a STE2. Be aware that the range can be quite limited in bright sunlight and sometimes it will fail you if it's not in line of sight.

The other triggers to support TTL are radiopoppers and the new pocketwizards but these are quite pricey.

Rest of the aftermarket triggers means you shoot everything in manual. Again pocketwizards, microsync, skyports etc...

EDIT: the cactus V4s are meant to be great value for money and are more reliable than the V2s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't got my 580 EXII yet but this thread the other week had me very interested mate...

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=29803
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    commander mode on cameras ar fairly limited although can be useful. if you want to get a system which is reliable and gives you the most creative freedom, then Pocketwizards are a good choice and the industry standard.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK call me a dumb ass but if I have 2 X 580 exII flash's and wanted them off camera how many pocket wizards would I need. I've just put in a bid on a 580 and there are 2 pocket wizards available with it. SO, if I've got my 2 flash's off camera will one pocket wizard fire then (wizard goes on camera yes?)?

Mick.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, you will need three pw's to fire two flashes, not withstanding using an optical slave on the second flash. one on camera, and one each on each of the speedlights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike

I have the STE2, firing two 580EX2 and a 430 EX.

It has not failed me at all and I'm sure I must have been pushing it's limits.

Then again, I am a Canon man
    Cheers

Jeff In Brisbane

PP Ok, Always Welcome Critiques

"When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them - my eyes."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently got a set of v4 cactus triggers. They're sooo much better than the v2s, or the other cheap tat on fleabay... Not in pocketwizard domain, but I figured I could spend the $900 I saved on other stuff!

I bought them direct from Gadget Infinity in the states: http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...4&cat=0&page=1

Tim
    Last edited by earthairfire; 04-05-2009 at 9:38pm. Reason: added info
    Photography by Tim Wilson
    http://www.earthairfire.com

Canon EOS-5D Mark II | 70-200/2.8L IS | 17-40/4L | 100/2.8 Macro | 50/1.8 | 580EX | 420EX |

Note on critique: Please feel free to rip my pics to shreds - I can take it

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Tom. So, I think I'm starting to get it now. If I want two 580's off camera, then a ST E2 would be the go. That will fire both of them. Or, I could have one 580 on camera and it will fire the other yes? The ST=E2 is about $300 I think. Pocket Wizards are about $200 each? Is that right?

Cheers........Mick.

wow, I took so long from starting to type, I didnt see these other posts. Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pocketwizards are about $200USD each. They normally hit about $400 AUD each in Oz... Also it depends if you want the new versions or not (Flex TT5 and Mini TT1), The old versions are bulletproof, but only cater for manual flash, with no bells or whistles. The new versions support ETTL, and also siginificantly improve the efficiency of your flash (think 50% recycle time), and allow for higher sync speeds than your camera thinks it's capable of (hypersync).

STE-2 is great, so long as you don't want to place your flash out of the line of sight of the STE-2 - a major restriction in my opinion...

If you want 2 580s off the camera in ETTL mode, you have 3 options: another 580ex, an STE-2, the new pocketwizards

If you want 2 580s off the camera in manual mode, you can use any of the above options, plus many other (much cheaper) triggers

If you just want 1 off the camera, you can use 1 580 as a master, and one as a slave

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Tim. OK, its the ST-E2 I'm going to get next then. Thanks a heap.

Mick.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh bugga. The more I look the more options I see. Now I'm thiking of just getting another two 430exII flash's and using my 580 as the trigger. I see the ST E2 is alomost the same price as the 430 so I figure I might as well have something that flashes if they're the same price. The down side is that I'll only have 430's off camera. Not having any experience with off camera flash and well, limited experience with flash all together, will they be enough light with soft boxes on em to give me good usable light on indoor portraits, outdoor location portraits and outdoor car and bike shoots?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm slowly getting my head around things now.

Mick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mick,
    I sympathize with your plight, I had one 580, thought another with a cord would give me a reasonable start, but someone sold me 2 430's for about the same as 1 580 (bargain), anyway all good now had three flashes, using the 580 as a master, got a longer cord, bloody nuisance being tethered, then the new pocket wizards hit the market, brought a mini and a flex thinking the 580 could still be a master, uh-oh wrong, just received two more flex's. Finally can do what I want and till I master manual flashes, I can fall back on ettl. Havent done anything but just fiddle around with them and even though I have spent 4 times my budget (I originally was just going to get an ste2) and am confident that as I become more proficient they will only enhance my results.
    Anyway that was my answer when confronted with the same question.

Cris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    will they be enough light with soft boxes on em to give me good usable light on indoor portraits, outdoor location portraits and outdoor car and bike shoots?
    Tough question to answer easily. I rarely use my 580EX above 1/4 power. 1/16 power is often sufficient. It all depends how close you want your lights, and how much ambient you need to overcome. If you want to shoot in the middle of the day in direct sunlight, and knock down your exposure so that your background is dark, while your portrait is lit, and you want a full length shot, then you'll probably find that no single speedlite will do the job... For me, the power of the 430 would be sufficient for all the work I do. You can always have more light, bigger strobes, generator etc. For most lighting situations, there are many ways to tackle the lighting. In 99% of situations, you'd be able to get a great shot with the 430 if you're flexible. The added power of the 580 might make it 99.5% You'll never get 100%

Tim

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Cris. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had this trouble. Its kinda daunting but fun too.

And thanks again Tim. OK, the two 430's it is then. I will be placing an order this week.

Cheers.

Mick.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Oh bugga. The more I look the more options I see. Now I'm thiking of just getting another two 430exII flash's and using my 580 as the trigger. I see the ST E2 is alomost the same price as the 430 so I figure I might as well have something that flashes if they're the same price. The down side is that I'll only have 430's off camera. Not having any experience with off camera flash and well, limited experience with flash all together, will they be enough light with soft boxes on em to give me good usable light on indoor portraits, outdoor location portraits and outdoor car and bike shoots?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm slowly getting my head around things now.

Mick.
    The more light sources you have, the more complex you're creating it.
    IMO if you're new to it then try shooting portaits with just one light source.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast