Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Help with lightroom

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with lightroom

Is it possible to save a layered PSD file in LR and preserve the layers?

I have opened the file into CS4 from LR (clicked edit in CS4)>added layers> saved as PSD>closed.

The PSD file in bridge has the layers but the file in LR does not.

Are there more buttons to push?

Would I be better of using LR for general PP/converting Raw to PSD> then export PSD to another folder and the use bridge when saving more serious PP work with layers as I'm used to doing.

Sorry to pester you again; I don't want to give up on lightroom as there are parts I really like.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as i know if you save a file in PS as a PSD layers are preserved, Might not show in LR but once you open it in PS again the layers should be there, If that was what you meant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As roof said, and as you have done LR>edit in CS4> save in CS4
    go back into lightroom, view in Library, Grid view and you will see your stacked .CR2 file and next to it the .PSD file
    If you want to re-edit the .psd file click on it then go to 'Photo>Edit in>CS4' opens back up in CS4 with all the layers in tack etc for further editing.
    LR does not allow you to view layers and edit layers within LR, you need to do the above and edit it in CS4
    As you will notice the great thing is that LR manages it all for you.
    "Knowledge is a single point, but the ignorant have multiplied it."

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies; I just worked that I have to give the image another file name; like add "-1" to the end and then the layers are preserved; but if saved it under the original file # the layers are flattened.

All the things I don't want to have to learn>takes me tooooooo long; still have to fully get my head around the export thing to send images to the lab. I have to have all 5 x 7/8x10/6x8 in separate folders and the sizes have to be spot on. Salli has shown me; I sort follow it but its just the doing it

Thanks for your help; any other ideas are welcome; I'm sure there are others battling like I am; but are not game to ask; would that be true AP lurkers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need more help here folks; forget my last post; that is not working as I thought.

When I open a file from LR into PS, add a layer and save & close as PSD; the layers are preserved in bridge but not in LR. Why can't I reopen saved PSD with layers from LR???

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you save do you have "layers" Ticked ???

i'll see if i can make a screen dump

Last edited by Roof; 02-05-2009 at 9:12am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just saved a file with a layer,imported it into LR, opened it from LR into PS and the layers show up.........................

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roof View Post
    i just saved a file with a layer,imported it into LR, opened it from LR into PS and the layers show up.........................
    Thanks Roof; that's not working for me; layers is ticked; there just have to be something else I'm not doing

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should write down what you do step for step...

I've tried every which way here and it al works........

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Need more help here folks; forget my last post; that is not working as I thought.

When I open a file from LR into PS, add a layer and save & close as PSD; the layers are preserved in bridge but not in LR. Why can't I reopen saved PSD with layers from LR???

maybe i found it, when you open from LR to PS which option do you tick ?

In the what to edit...thingie......when i click edit original...no probs....edit a copy also no probs...edit a copy with LR adjustments FLAT....

is that it ?????

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roof View Post
    maybe i found it, when you open from LR to PS which option do you tick ?

In the what to edit...thingie......when i click edit original...no probs....edit a copy also no probs...edit a copy with LR adjustments FLAT....

is that it ?????
    Yeah, I have been fiddling with that idea myself and starting to think that is the answer; but anything on the web says to open "with LR adjustments".

Thanks for your trouble Roof; hope you haven't waisted as time as I have on this.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems Ian, The other thing is do you work on RAW files or Jpeg...?That could also be something to consider...

But i like figuring out problems, it's always handy to know for when the next one pops up...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cracked it; thanks for the help; “Edit a copy” has to be ticked when opening a layered PSD from LR into PS; if you click “edit a copy with LR adjustments" the layers will be flattened. If you make the mistake of opening “…..with LR adjustments”, all you have to do is close the file from PS and reopen with “edit a copy” and the layers will be there.

That is now so simple now that I know. It also has me thinking a few others did not know the above; usually every Tom Dick and Harry have something to say, this thread has been very quite; not just here but also on another site; maybe tutorial is required; if one no beats me to, (hint hint) it I’ll try and write one when I find some time.

Thanks again Roof

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome mate, I now have discovered thinks that i can't do and don't know why..but i'll get to that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad you got it working in the end, i have been offline for a while hehehe